Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #11  
Old 10-23-2013, 08:06 PM
williams lcm williams lcm is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: orlando fl
Posts: 811
The guy that got the bid for McDonalds does excellent work. He also does a bunch of other commercial propertys in town and they are kept up very nice.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-23-2013, 08:33 PM
RonWin RonWin is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 456
Must be just me but everytime I bid a place im higher than everyone. I still end up getting the job 90% of the time. I think I do good work and most of my new clients are refferals. Last account I picked up a large lco company was doing for 100$ a cut and I came in at $130 and landed It. Didnt take too many quotes my first year to learn from those mistakes this year, guess im on the high side but when they see my work and attention to detail they give in to my price.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-23-2013, 09:34 PM
meets1's Avatar
meets1 meets1 is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NW, Iowa
Posts: 3,637
Mcdonalds by me. 15 minutes top. I hate bidding but every year the new guys or the newer crowd (5 years and less) are knocking on doors all the time. I do two large properties - lets just say each one is over 35 acres of mowing - I heard the other day that a nephew of a guy here in town is starting a lawn care biz and his first account he is going after is one of my large accounts - it is public info on this account and therefore easy to see what we are charging so therefore he is going to lower his bid, hire a guy and this one account will pay them both and keep them busy all week. Where as I come in with 2 WAMS, 5 riders and from there everyone starts there own trimming/blowing an where they mowed. I am in and out in 7-8 hours. Short day for us really. Yes I do ok on the bid. Thing is upsell of everything else we do for them outside the contract....spray, landscape, plant trees, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-23-2013, 10:18 PM
Patriot Services's Avatar
Patriot Services Patriot Services is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tampa FL
Posts: 8,685
I'm always skeptical when guys say they get jobs with high bids. Most corporations have standing rules to go with the lowest bid that meets the specs. Typical bean counter mentality.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-23-2013, 11:41 PM
PenningsLandscaping PenningsLandscaping is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
In the last two years, our school district has been bid downward nearly 30%.

Current bids
building lot (142'X192'): $13.85 per
10.5ac school: $52.88 per
12.23ac school: $60.58 per
15ac school: $65.38 per
19.13ac school: $119.23 per
27.32ac school: $380.77 per
additional storage building: $11.54 per

I can't even fathom trying to make a profit on these bids. Our local commercial stuff is just as bad and covered primarily by two LCOs who mow the grass, rain or shine. They must have blunts for blades, as the grass isn't even cut.

I don't even care to mess with stuff these guys are fighting for.
I work for a school district at nights as a custodian, and I have to let all the sub contractors into the building, provide them with tools (cuz they never have their own ), and have to deal with their BS. Let me tell you, small time school district bid winners are the scrubbiest of scrubs. These guys don't know their ass from their elbow most of the time. All you need is insurance and an LLC and you can bid as low as you want for these jobs.

But these prices, are insane. They must be El Dumbo Landscaping, because these scrubs are working for peanuts.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-23-2013, 11:43 PM
PenningsLandscaping PenningsLandscaping is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonWin View Post
Must be just me but everytime I bid a place im higher than everyone. I still end up getting the job 90% of the time. I think I do good work and most of my new clients are refferals. Last account I picked up a large lco company was doing for 100$ a cut and I came in at $130 and landed It. Didnt take too many quotes my first year to learn from those mistakes this year, guess im on the high side but when they see my work and attention to detail they give in to my price.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yup, you're on the high side probably, and laughing all the way to the bank. You take pride in what you do, so the people that are willing to pay for that level of detail, will pay for it.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-24-2013, 11:06 AM
205mx 205mx is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 1,771
I picked up a daycare this season. $2500 a year. I'm in and out in 45 minutes solo or 30 with my employee. Plus we did a 2400 mulch job this season
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-24-2013, 11:14 AM
PenningsLandscaping PenningsLandscaping is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by 205mx View Post
I picked up a daycare this season. $2500 a year. I'm in and out in 45 minutes solo or 30 with my employee. Plus we did a 2400 mulch job this season
Posted via Mobile Device
That's a great pick up
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-25-2013, 10:28 AM
MOturkey's Avatar
MOturkey MOturkey is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bolivar, MO
Posts: 2,620
If I am reading those school bids correctly, there is absolutely no possible way the guy is doing anything but losing money, and, the way I figure things, quite a bit of money.

That said, I'm just a little guy, relatively speaking, but I honestly don't understand why smaller operators are so fixated on getting into commercial work. I currently have a half dozen or so "commercial" accounts. I have serviced each of them for as long as 10 years. None of them ask for yearly bids, and most have accepted reasonable price raises over time with no complaints.

I also, in the past, have had a few that insisted on yearly bids. I no longer service any of these properties, and after losing the last one over $5, I decided I would no longer bid on any job that is going to require annual bidding. Thanks, but no thanks. I feel that if you are reasonable in your pricing, dependable, and do good work, you should be able to keep the account without having to worry someone undercutting you with an insanely low bid. If LCO's would quit playing the game with these people, things could be much more profitable.

I do understand larger companies vying for commercial work. They have payroll to meet, and employees to keep busy, so year 'round, contracted accounts with multiple locations make more sense for them.
__________________
Neill Prater
Dependable Mowing Service
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-25-2013, 10:43 AM
PenningsLandscaping PenningsLandscaping is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOturkey View Post
If I am reading those school bids correctly, there is absolutely no possible way the guy is doing anything but losing money, and, the way I figure things, quite a bit of money.

That said, I'm just a little guy, relatively speaking, but I honestly don't understand why smaller operators are so fixated on getting into commercial work. I currently have a half dozen or so "commercial" accounts. I have serviced each of them for as long as 10 years. None of them ask for yearly bids, and most have accepted reasonable price raises over time with no complaints.

I also, in the past, have had a few that insisted on yearly bids. I no longer service any of these properties, and after losing the last one over $5, I decided I would no longer bid on any job that is going to require annual bidding. Thanks, but no thanks. I feel that if you are reasonable in your pricing, dependable, and do good work, you should be able to keep the account without having to worry someone undercutting you with an insanely low bid. If LCO's would quit playing the game with these people, things could be much more profitable.

I do understand larger companies vying for commercial work. They have payroll to meet, and employees to keep busy, so year 'round, contracted accounts with multiple locations make more sense for them.
I think the big companies are the ones with the most to lose from these kinds of accounts. The investment of increasing employee numbers, buying new equipment, only to lose out next year to some idiot who can't handle it and doesn't know how to bid. I plan on leaving that work for them, and focus only on quality customers. None of us need the headaches.

And yeah, the bids on the school district are insane. I can't imagine that even covering gas.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:35 PM.

Page generated in 0.10774 seconds with 9 queries