Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 10-21-2013, 12:13 PM
Moose's Mowing's Avatar
Moose's Mowing Moose's Mowing is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 437
get a BR600 backpack blower. That outta be plenty for just over an acre at your own place. I use my 600 on several 2 acre jobs along with a 5hp little wonder. I like the backpack better because it's so much more maneuverable. You won't have it done in 20 minutes but 2 hours tops if you're going slow.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-21-2013, 12:59 PM
RSK Property Maintenance's Avatar
RSK Property Maintenance RSK Property Maintenance is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Manchester,CT
Posts: 1,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose's Mowing View Post
get a BR600 backpack blower. That outta be plenty for just over an acre at your own place. I use my 600 on several 2 acre jobs along with a 5hp little wonder. I like the backpack better because it's so much more maneuverable. You won't have it done in 20 minutes but 2 hours tops if you're going slow.
a b600 gets pretty slow moving leaves more then 1ft high. its certainly is a nice piece of equipment to have to clean out landscaping around the house or where ever, but its not really designed to push leaves across a whole lawn. It will work but not efficiently unless there are very few leaves and the lawn is really. a 9hp little wonder or bigger is really the right tool for the job or a leaf plow mounted on the front of a zero turn. or just dropping the deck height down to like 1" and pushing the leaves without a leaf plow. time is not money in this homeowners case, but time spent outside doing the leaves is time not spent with his kids or wife if has them. so getting done in 45 mins vs. several hours is important.
__________________
fully lic. and ins. 10yrs exp.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-21-2013, 01:31 PM
Tyler259 Tyler259 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 101
Get a backpack blower such as an Echo 770 or Husky 570/580, a tarp and a rake.

Blow as much as you can into the woods, the areas closest to the house or left just blow/rake the leaves onto a big tarp and drag into the woods. Remember you don't have to be perfect and get every last leaf. When your done getting the majority just mulch the rest with your mower.

There's no need to spend more than you have to to do this simple job in specialty equipment.

You might have to do this 2-3 times if you have a lot of leaves.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-21-2013, 10:16 PM
sr73087 sr73087 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSK Property Maintenance View Post
a b600 gets pretty slow moving leaves more then 1ft high. its certainly is a nice piece of equipment to have to clean out landscaping around the house or where ever, but its not really designed to push leaves across a whole lawn. It will work but not efficiently unless there are very few leaves and the lawn is really. a 9hp little wonder or bigger is really the right tool for the job or a leaf plow mounted on the front of a zero turn. or just dropping the deck height down to like 1" and pushing the leaves without a leaf plow. time is not money in this homeowners case, but time spent outside doing the leaves is time not spent with his kids or wife if has them. so getting done in 45 mins vs. several hours is important.

My next question is, how big of a difference will I see between a 5, 8 and 10 hp little wonder? I found this on craigslist

http://newhaven.craigslist.org/grd/4139321744.html

I know I said I don't mind spending money to get it done, but if this works well and gets the job done, I can have extra cash to supplement a backpack blower to work along with it. If a 10 hp is going to make the job considerably quicker from a 5 or 8 hp, then I'll spend the money. Let me know your thoughts.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-21-2013, 10:58 PM
RSK Property Maintenance's Avatar
RSK Property Maintenance RSK Property Maintenance is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Manchester,CT
Posts: 1,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr73087 View Post
My next question is, how big of a difference will I see between a 5, 8 and 10 hp little wonder? I found this on craigslist

http://newhaven.craigslist.org/grd/4139321744.html

I know I said I don't mind spending money to get it done, but if this works well and gets the job done, I can have extra cash to supplement a backpack blower to work along with it. If a 10 hp is going to make the job considerably quicker from a 5 or 8 hp, then I'll spend the money. Let me know your thoughts.
honestly I don't much about the older stuff. I previously worked for well established landscape company while doing my stuff part time which I have been doing for 10 years now, and the company I worked for had been around since the early 80's. and they used giant vac blowers with 10hp, and 13hp motors, and they were replaced every 5 years, and they sucked...but they were cheap 900 or 1000 brand new. I went full time with my business in april of 2011 and bought a brand new little wonder with a 9hp honda and it would push piles much bigger then my bosses 13hp giant vac. but my 9hp little wonder was 1300 new and I paid an extra 300 or even 400 for the honda motor and it was well worth it. so I can't say anything about the older stuff. I know a nice backpack like a br600 would probably work as well as that old little wonder but its gonna be about 500. I buy smaller things like back pack blowers, string trimmers and even wheeled blowers new, because they are relatively cheap and have a shorter life span, also they don't have hour meters or odometers like cars and trucks and mowers, which I would consider buying used for that reason, and they are expensive relatively speaking when bought new.

I would go with a newer unit with 9hp...I don't see you needing any more then that, plus after 9hp the difference is pretty slim, that's just looking on little wonders website. its about 500cfm going from 9hp to 14 or whatever it is because all the new stuff is in cc's now. but 2260 to 2850 is gonna make a difference but not a big enough difference to spend the extra dough and push around the extra weight. that's why I opted for the 9hp and a honda motor, my little wonder served me well for the short time I owned and I know it will help the guy I sold it too for several years to come.
__________________
fully lic. and ins. 10yrs exp.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-22-2013, 10:51 AM
Tyler259 Tyler259 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 101
I wouldn't waste your time and gas to drive here to get that old thing.

I think wheeled blowers are a pain for the most part other than using on pavement or flat areas.

With a solid backpack you can use it for everything, spring and fall cleanup, blowing grass off drives etc after mowing, and especially blowing out flower beds which is a big bonus.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-23-2013, 08:52 PM
Moose's Mowing's Avatar
Moose's Mowing Moose's Mowing is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler259 View Post
I wouldn't waste your time and gas to drive here to get that old thing.

I think wheeled blowers are a pain for the most part other than using on pavement or flat areas.

With a solid backpack you can use it for everything, spring and fall cleanup, blowing grass off drives etc after mowing, and especially blowing out flower beds which is a big bonus.
^^ what he said. I've got both a BR600 and a little wonder walk behind. I rarely use the walk behind, just a hassle to use. I use the 600 for everything from daily mowing cleanups to full blown clean ups to cleaning up after mulch jobs, blowing off light snow on sidewalks, and general cleanups on odd jobs It's always on my trailer. My only regret is not getting one sooner. I'm considering adding a second 600 and ditching the walk behind. I'll agree that after a certain point, the backpack doesn't move the leaves real far, but then again, neither does my little wonder. I have my helper blow as much as he can then I just use the mower and push the piles as far as I can. Then he just keeps following behind with the 600. Seems to be faster than fiddle dikin with the walk behind blower. Ideally, I'd like to have 3 guys with BR600's for leaves but I'm primarily a solo outfit unless I really need the extra help. For the few weeks a year you'd use a walk behind, I wouldnt think it'd be worth it. A backpack will work all year long and a little extra time in the fall isn't worth the jump in price in my opinion.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-23-2013, 10:13 PM
echo echo is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: somewhere out there
Posts: 1,144
To see a significant difference in cleanup time you really need to go 13/+ hp in a walk behind.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-24-2013, 09:06 AM
Smallaxe Smallaxe is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Central Wisconsin
Posts: 9,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
To see a significant difference in cleanup time you really need to go 13/+ hp in a walk behind.
Posted via Mobile Device
13 hp from the edge of the driveway will demonstrate how work it does for you and how little maneuvering around there really is... still I use a 770 Echo backpack as favorite machine for cleaning up a woods...
__________________
*
Now that I know that clay's texture(platelets) has nothing to do with water infiltration, percolation, or drainage
,,, I wonder what does...
*
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-24-2013, 10:27 AM
echo echo is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: somewhere out there
Posts: 1,144
We certainly don't have a need to use a wb on all properties. Larger properties a wb, leaf plow, , etc... makes quick work compared to us running just the bp's.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:35 PM.

Page generated in 0.07964 seconds with 9 queries