Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-21-2013, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

fencing

A weekly lawn customer asked me to give her a price on putting up 280' of running fence. It's going to be 4x4 posts with split rail 1x6s. Two gates, one 36" and one 65". There are going to be 35 holes to dig so I am planning on renting a auger. What would you guys charge for labor? Ground is soft and about 4 holes will be around roots so will be time consuming there. Any help is appreciated!

Doesn't matter what kind of equipment you run as long as you get the job done correctly and up to par.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vecchio Lawn Care View Post
A weekly lawn customer asked me to give her a price on putting up 280' of running fence. It's going to be 4x4 posts with split rail 1x6s. Two gates, one 36" and one 65". There are going to be 35 holes to dig so I am planning on renting a auger. What would you guys charge for labor? Ground is soft and about 4 holes will be around roots so will be time consuming there. Any help is appreciated!
I don't know if it can help you; but few weeks ago I had professionals ( a company that only install fences) install a cast iron fence and if I were to install the fence myself (digging holes, pouring concrete, installing the whole fence) instead of them doing it, they would reduce the cost by 20%. I let them do it

Last edited by Pierre2013; 10-21-2013 at 09:41 PM.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

There are two different schools of thought on this. First us know your overhead, your time to complete the job and materials you'll need plus what you want the business to profit. With some relatively easy math you should figure out the price you need to charge.

The second option is, call a fence contractor, have him give you a proposal, tack 20% on and hand it to the customer. Sub it out and make a good profit for a couple phone calls and site visits. Not trying to be a d***, we do a descent amour of fence. If your not used to it you will spend a lot if time trying to level and plum everything, particularly if there is any slope to the ground. You more than likely will make much more subbing it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-22-2013, 12:42 AM
LawnSite Member

At a minimum i would get qoutes froma fence company and see what they charge. more often then not i have just subbed out the work as i either couldnt do it as cheap as the quote so i just marked it up and sold it to the customer or it wasnt worth the time and hassle.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Have you ever put up a fence before?
are you building the gates?
I doubt only 4 holes could be around roots. if it looks like 4 of the holes are by roots then its probably going to be more like 8 or 12.

I wouldn't waste time with an auger if the ground is soft. 35 holes is nothing in soft ground. Especially with a split rail because you need to be on the spot with the posts more than you would with a privacy fence.

consider it a day for the posts, a day for the rails and a day for gates and extra time you didn't count on. Plus picking up the materials. And how bad do you need the work?
I wouldn't do it for less than $800 labor. thats under $3 a foot for labor including the gates.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Member

As themadcutter said, I wouldn't rent an auger for this job, 35 is pretty easy especially with a split rail fence. I'm not exactly sure how pricing is anywhere else in the country but here in jersey I don't do work for less than $35 a post and that's on a bigger job. I typically make 45-50 per post. So on a job like this I'm looking at 35 posts x $35.00= $1220.00
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-25-2013, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRJFENCE View Post
As themadcutter said, I wouldn't rent an auger for this job, 35 is pretty easy especially with a split rail fence. I'm not exactly sure how pricing is anywhere else in the country but here in jersey I don't do work for less than $35 a post and that's on a bigger job. I typically make 45-50 per post. So on a job like this I'm looking at 35 posts x $35.00= $1220.00
Posted via Mobile Device
thats labor only right?

I like your price better. Mine was a minimum price I would use if I was slow with no work.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Yeah that's labor only. One tip for you, don't set all the posts and then try putting the rails in, we see people try and and then the rails don't fit, they're either to close together or spaced out too far. Put post, rail, post, rail, post etc..
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-27-2013, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRJFENCE View Post
Yeah that's labor only. One tip for you, don't set all the posts and then try putting the rails in, we see people try and and then the rails don't fit, they're either to close together or spaced out too far. Put post, rail, post, rail, post etc..
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks for the info. before i saw your post i came up with 1200 for labor and got the job. starting next week. will post some pics on my equip and pics thread.

Doesn't matter what kind of equipment you run as long as you get the job done correctly and up to par.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Thanks for the info. before i saw your post i came up with 1200 for labor and got the job. starting next week. will post some pics on my equip and pics thread.
excellent. that will be some nice extra income.

plan plan plan