Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-06-2011, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Leaf Loader Question?

Looking to possibly add a leaf loader to the equipment list for next season. I know they handle leaves well but how are they with sucking up grass. Would it clog easy? We bag around 60% of are lawns and thought it would be alot easier to suck the grass up and blow it into the dump rather than lug heavy bags over the side of the ezdump. We have a dump from the seat on one of the Z's now for leaves. Any opinions would be appreciated. Looking at around a 18 horse power unit.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This is where the Quote: "The bigger the better" really comes into play.
I say buy the biggest one your budget can handle. I will say an 18 is going to get you buy but if you get a 23 or even a 26HP you will enjoy picking up grass and leaves.

I started off with a 18 LW loader...Im my opinion IT Was horrible/ sucked< No pun intended.

Now that we have the 26 we have never looked back.

Its great because the bigger HP the more versatile it is. With the 26 you can suck up grass and leaves with little to no effort. Also you can even offer a service of picking up curb side piles...Only problem with this is HO's like to mix sticks, garbage, and other crap into the pile.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttin-to-the-Max View Post
This is where the Quote: "The bigger the better" really comes into play.
I say buy the biggest one your budget can handle. I will say an 18 is going to get you buy but if you get a 23 or even a 26HP you will enjoy picking up grass and leaves.

I started off with a 18 LW loader...Im my opinion IT Was horrible/ sucked< No pun intended.

Now that we have the 26 we have never looked back.

Its great because the bigger HP the more versatile it is. With the 26 you can suck up grass and leaves with little to no effort. Also you can even offer a service of picking up curb side piles...Only problem with this is HO's like to mix sticks, garbage, and other crap into the pile.
Yeah, but you have to figure in the cost of the gloves you lost while trying to remove a stick from the intake chute, lol.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Our 16hp Lesco doesn't do very well with straight green grass clippings, but it does get them on board with a bit of fluffing with a foot or rake - mix in a few dry leaves and there is no problem at all. It needs a little more surface area to get a hold of a bit of debris than the average blade of grass offers; some leaves in the mix seem to make all the difference. We have a process for twiggy messes too: as soon as it starts to stick, suck up a glob of leaves and "presto" it's all clear.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just bumping up this thread. Going to try and find a good used leaf loader this winter. All the mowers have dump from seat baggers so really trying to find a quick way to get the grass from the mower to the dump on the truck. Are there any company's on here that use leaf loaders year round for grass and leafs?
Old 10-26-2013, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Green grass does not pick up very easy. I had a 16 HP unit. I used a manure fork and pitched it on.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Intake hose is what you want to look at not the hp. A 10 inch intake hose which is the norm on 13-18hp units has an opening of 78 sq inches. You move up to a 12 inch intake and that jumps massively to 113 sq inches. The bigger your intake the less you will clog. Now if you want to go crazy get one with an 18 inch intake those 254 sq inches can eat a person.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly's Landscaping View Post
Intake hose is what you want to look at not the hp. A 10 inch intake hose which is the norm on 13-18hp units has an opening of 78 sq inches. You move up to a 12 inch intake and that jumps massively to 113 sq inches. The bigger your intake the less you will clog. Now if you want to go crazy get one with an 18 inch intake those 254 sq inches can eat a person.
Intake hose diameter is designed in relation to HP and air flow. The standard hose length is 10' . If one was going to load grass all season, they should have a short hose for a more direct flow to eliminate dead space in the pipe where the grass settles. This is going to create another problem, they are going to have to have a box on the truck to blow into.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Sounds as if your confusing length of hose which I never commented on with diameter which I have a lot of experience on. And for the record my 10 foot long 12 inch hose on my 20 hp giant vac eats grass clippings with 0 trouble. When we finish the clean up and give the final cut the trac vac barrels are dumped into the pile of leaves next to the truck loader which eats through our 44 gallon barrel of grass in 5-10 seconds.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:52 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly's Landscaping View Post
Sounds as if your confusing length of hose which I never commented on with diameter which I have a lot of experience on. And for the record my 10 foot long 12 inch hose on my 20 hp giant vac eats grass clippings with 0 trouble. When we finish the clean up and give the final cut the trac vac barrels are dumped into the pile of leaves next to the truck loader which eats through our 44 gallon barrel of grass in 5-10 seconds.
I'm not confused with any part of your post. I have many years experience with lawn care and truck loaders. What I do know is there is dead air space in 10' long loader hoses that are 16 HP and under. I simply stated that if someone was going to use a loader to suck up green grass on an every day biases it would be to their benefit to use a shorter hose to eliminate the dead air space of a long hose. How short of a hose would depend on how their loader is set up. I'm glade to hear that you are happy with your 20 HP loader. How long is your intake hose. A 20 HP loader is over kill for the average lawn care set up