Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-26-2013, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nervjiggy View Post
I don't know why he would. He probably mentioned something of letting the friend take over at some point as he did to I. I'm getting married and buying a house so I cannot afford to work for my dad. He's going to be cutting back on his business because he just doesn't wanna do all the jobs anymore. Who knows how long he will keep those. I think my best option is to take what I can get now and run with it.
I wasn't suggesting working as an 8/hr employee. From limited details saying he was able to provide for a family a 4, I assume he has a profitable business that is well established (maybe 15+ years)? In addition to actual money, there are certain intrinsic values that come from being a well established business. If he doesn't work to work as much, no problem. You can manage the employees and work to fill his void. What type of money does the business gross yearly? Doesn't have to be specific, but just a general ballpark.

Again maybe I am missing something, but why let a profitable and established business dissolve to start over from square one?
Old 10-26-2013, 05:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will P.C. View Post
I wasn't suggesting working as an 8/hr employee. From limited details saying he was able to provide for a family a 4, I assume he has a profitable business that is well established (maybe 15+ years)? In addition to actual money, there are certain intrinsic values that come from being a well established business. If he doesn't work to work as much, no problem. You can manage the employees and work to fill his void. What type of money does the business gross yearly? Doesn't have to be specific, but just a general ballpark.

Again maybe I am missing something, but why let a profitable and established business dissolve to start over from square one?
Well in recent years the business has been scaled back. Now it's probably 20-25 clients. I don't know of the profit. At first he did it alone for years in which he provided for our family. It was only ever a 2-3 man crew at the busiest. dad, friend, and I. I agree there's no reason to dissolve it but that's really not my choice to make...
Old 10-26-2013, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I got it now.

Your father's "business" is essentially him servicing 20 to 25 clients with whatever equipment he owns and an occasional helper.

If he is splitting up the clients between 3 people, we are only talking about 7 or 8 clients each or possibly less if it is not an even 3 way split…if your father keeps 10 or 12 clients and splits the rest evenly between you and your friend, you will have 5 or 6 clients.

Sorry, I thought you were talking about some serious numbers here.

You could go out and get your own 5 or 6 clients with a little effort.
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
Stihl HS56C Hedge Trimmer
Stihl MS391 25" Bar Chainsaw
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
Earthquake 16" Rear Tine Tiller
Honda 9" Mini Tiller FG110
2014 GMC Sierra Denali HD
7' x 16' Enclosed V-Nose Trailer
6' x 12' Dump Trailer
Equipment & Work thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=415830
Old 10-26-2013, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. W. Landscapers, Inc. View Post
I got it now.

Your father's "business" is essentially him servicing 20 to 25 clients with whatever equipment he owns and an occasional helper.

If he is splitting up the clients between 3 people, we are only talking about 7 or 8 clients each or possibly less if it is not an even 3 way split…if your father keeps 10 or 12 clients and splits the rest evenly between you and your friend, you will have 5 or 6 clients.

Sorry, I thought you were talking about some serious numbers here.

You could go out and get your own 5 or 6 clients with a little effort.
I hope so. What is your opinion of EDDM? Do you prefer a different means of advertisement?
Old 10-27-2013, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nervjiggy View Post
I hope so. What is your opinion of EDDM? Do you prefer a different means of advertisement?
There is a lot of good information on EDDM in this thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=395735
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
Stihl HS56C Hedge Trimmer
Stihl MS391 25" Bar Chainsaw
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
Earthquake 16" Rear Tine Tiller
Honda 9" Mini Tiller FG110