Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-27-2013, 01:54 AM
LawnSite Member

I have been involved with manufacturing recalls and although this is not yet a recall situation, the process is pretty standard. One key element is to not add more problems to the "install base" once a problem has been identified.
Weak executives sometimes keep pumping out bad product to make sales numbers, but the non-availability of the 30 inch now indicates the switch to a better transmission is job #1 for the Ex30.
If I were in that decision-making spot, I'd do the same. They have proven the niche is viable. Now, the key is to maintain the benefit of being first to market by making the best version they can before competitors catch up.

For lawn pros, the 30 inch allows more gated yards to be mowed economically. The $2K price tag is high enough to keep most homeowners from buying one, but more economical for the pro than a narrow walk behind.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:09 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Okay but a TimeMaster can be bought for just over $1,000...?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-27-2013, 08:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Would two time master be better than one ex30?? This is my question as we do not push very many yards.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-27-2013, 08:47 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvldesign View Post
Would two time master be better than one ex30?? This is my question as we do not push very many yards.
Posted via Mobile Device
I only own one timemaster which I do like but I would rather buy the commercial model bc of the engine and stouter build. Even with the bugs the mower should last 3 or 4 times longer than the timemaster. To me it makes more sense financially to buy a commercial and a residential unit as a backup. Anyone who complains about the weight has never used a single hydro quick 36 or 44.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-27-2013, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Member

I just have a hard time spending $2000 on a mower.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-27-2013, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Push mower
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-27-2013, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvldesign View Post
Push mower
Posted via Mobile Device
I know what you mean but just remember, a new walk behind only 2 to 6 inches wider would cost you at least another grand, and that's not counting the cost of a cumbersome side bagger or mulch setup. That's why the additional cost of a commercial 30, though really overpriced, can be justified in my mind.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-27-2013, 11:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm curious about the new transmissions and if someone could get theirs replaced even if the existing one isn't broken. It's one of those deals where winter would be the ideal time to take care of this, if exmark allows it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-27-2013, 11:18 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Rose View Post
I'm curious about the new transmissions and if someone could get theirs replaced even if the existing one isn't broken. It's one of those deals where winter would be the ideal time to take care of this, if exmark allows it.
Posted via Mobile Device
If memory serves me correctly, Exmark is not swapping them out unless the original unit is broken. What they have done, however, is increase the warranty on the transmissions to 2 years.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:14 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnsaspire View Post
I only own one timemaster which I do like but I would rather buy the commercial model bc of the engine and stouter build. Even with the bugs the mower should last 3 or 4 times longer than the timemaster. To me it makes more sense financially to buy a commercial and a residential unit as a backup. Anyone who complains about the weight has never used a single hydro quick 36 or 44.
Posted via Mobile Device
Have you had a chance to demo the Exmark yet...? Since sildoc made comment about how his yBravo25's are vastly better on hills than either his Exmark/ Toro TurfMaster... this squelches it for me. My TimeMaster is already iffy on going uphill as it is. Why pay $700-800+ more for a heavier mower.

Been watching these thread fairly closely and the operators who own both consumer TimeMaster vs. TurfMaster tend to lean towards the less expensive TimeMaster if they had to choose one.

The vertical stowage of the handle is huge for me. If I was to loose that feature it needs to match the uphill performance of my yBravo25 tranny with little worry about the tranny going out and the engine flat out has to be hands down stronger than the TimeMaster with the larger displacement engine.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Exact Rototilling; 10-27-2013 at 02:19 PM.