Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-22-2013, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lighting Books etc.

I have been surfing the net looking at all the information I can find on Seasonal Lighting I see lots of "Start you own Christmas Lighting Business Kits" any were from $79.99 to $399.00. My question is are any on this any good ???
Most of what I see looks like a scam but one from Christmas Designers but even at $200.00 is it really worth it ??

Ducke's Lawn Care.
and Now
Ducke's Seasonal Decor.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I cannot speak on the benefit of any if the media that you referenced.

I can say that, although you won't find the information laid out in chapter or chronological format on this forum, you will end up with much more that $200 worth of information if you take the time to read and research right here.

Many of us went to classroom training and/or field training with some of the bigger vendors that offer those things. I still go to the training. Not only for the refresher courses but also for the networking

Good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-22-2013, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree turf
Been reading all evening a ton of info here.
I know I'm a little late starting up but the local lighting out fit here just announced they have shut their doors and are not going to do lights this year. I worked for them for 4 years doing installs and design so I got on the phone real quick to some of their commercial accounts. I have a few meeting set up for this week and next so now I am scrambling to get everything in place to make this work for me.

Ducke's Lawn Care.
and Now
Ducke's Seasonal Decor.

Last edited by Ducke; 10-22-2013 at 09:56 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ducke with regard to the books, I agree wit Bryan, lots of info on here. HYD puts on a great training class, thoug Dave references Christmas Decor a few times in the training discussions, big $ to get on board with them, but it is my understanding they have the best training and top of the line if not the best LED products.

The book Christmas Designers has was written by one of their staff members whom I have dealt with multiple times - Jason. I was considering it a couple years ago, discussed it with him and he told me I would only get reference use out of it, chances are I wouldn't get anything new. Again I come back to this forum, that is how I started out. Absolute tremendous amount of info on here. I think the biggest thing I would look at is what the time will be for product to get to you.
2000 Cat 312B
2000 Cat 304 CCR
2000 Hyundai H70
2012 Scag V Ride
2009 Ferris IS3100 z
Brown Bed Edger
Multiple trailers, hand tools and smaller stuff
A son to teach the value of life, business and honor
Old 10-23-2013, 05:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by addictedtolandscaping View Post
Ducke with regard to the books, I agree wit Bryan, lots of info on here. HYD puts on a great training class, thoug Dave references Christmas Decor a few times in the training discussions, big $ to get on board with them, but it is my understanding they have the best training and top of the line if not the best LED products.

The book Christmas Designers has was written by one of their staff members whom I have dealt with multiple times - Jason. I was considering it a couple years ago, discussed it with him and he told me I would only get reference use out of it, chances are I wouldn't get anything new. Again I come back to this forum, that is how I started out. Absolute tremendous amount of info on here. I think the biggest thing I would look at is what the time will be for product to get to you.
Product is not a big deal I can get it out of USA in 5 to 7 days regular ground or 2 to 3 day rush or I even have a couple of Canadian dealers in Quebec and Ontario that can ship next day if needed. I know the on the roof end of the Biz its the sales and billing end of things that I need to know more about.
I delivered a quote today so now its a waiting game to see if I'm in the ball park or way out to lunch.

Ducke's Lawn Care.
and Now
Ducke's Seasonal Decor.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

the toughest thing about this biz is not the install side, it is the sales side. you gotta make the maximum dollars in a very short amount of time. too many folks look at what they make in a day and think- "wow, that is way more than I make cutting grass in a day" or just fill in the blank with your other income generating business.

I try to explain to my consulting clients on pricing, to just imagine a mowing season compressed into one month. how would you price mowing then? you would need to recover all your overhead from trucks, trailers, equipment, insurance, and cover all your labor and gas expense, from one month of billing. The pricing would be wildly different. That is basically Christmas lights. you really only get November as a month to generate income.

yes, they are up until you take them down in January, but you can only sell and install in November, with earlier rehang customers possible after you have been in business multiple years.

to answer your question, yes, many books out there offer a nugget of info here and there that will probably pay you back for whatever you paid for the packet. the first or second of these you buy and read will pay you back tenfold. but as you buy more the info is repetitive. But even after doing this for many years, I still stop and talk to the guys that are at shows and pick their brains to see what is new and different. anything that can help us install cleaner, faster, easier, better I am always looking for.

And reading these threads over the last 5 years are probably worth 10's of thousands of dollars in saved mistakes if you take the time to do so. and that, of course, is free.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thank you Guys
I am still going forward with help from some mentors in the biz.
I am thinking of going with a seasonal lighting rental type set up rather then an out right sales biz.
I'm to late for this season but am going to work on this over the winter for next season.
The information I find here and other forums as well as from my mentor who has done this for many years I think I can make a success out of the seasonal lighting business.

Ducke's Lawn Care.
and Now
Ducke's Seasonal Decor.