Register free!

Old 10-26-2013, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FdLLawnMan View Post
...and why do you call those guys anyway?

No kidding.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleman View Post
I don't want to hijack this thread but wanted to get opinions on my ride on problem since it seems there is a lot of knowledge here. I have a Lawn Solutions early model with the Subaru engine. I'm having a hard time keeping the drive chain for the wheels tight. I have a new chain on it but the idler sprocket is out of adjustment and the chain slips on the fwd sprocket. The sprocket shaft is new too. I've already destroyed one shaft. Does it make sense to grind the frame slot for the idler sprocket to get more adjustment? I've called lawn solutions all week but they don't answer the phone. Any solutions?
Your sprockets and chain are worn. You should probably replace the complete chain. Lawn Solutions is no more. You will need to call Toro/Exmark.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-26-2013, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks FdLLawnMan but the sprockets and chain are less than a month old. I just replaced them. Im not sure how the Toro/exmarks are set up but on mine the idler sprocket is above the drive chain. I reversed it and put the sprocket below the chain and its now tight and not slipping. Anyone see a problem with doing that?
Old 10-26-2013, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleman View Post
Thanks FdLLawnMan but the sprockets and chain are less than a month old. I just replaced them. Im not sure how the Toro/exmarks are set up but on mine the idler sprocket is above the drive chain. I reversed it and put the sprocket below the chain and its now tight and not slipping. Anyone see a problem with doing that?
Hey I say if you reversed it and it's working all the better. So far we have loved our new Toro ride-on we knocked another 13 out this morning in 4hrs.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Only 4 local Exmark/Toro dealers have ever seen a stand-on aerator at their location (East Des Moines, Prairie City, Clive, and Adel). Only 2 of them have ever sold one (Clive & Adel). Only one has ever worked on one (Clive), but they thought the problem was under inflated tires. So you can see why I am concerned. On the other hand, I trust Mike (owner of Adel Power Equipment).

FD - we already aerated lawns with irrigation systems & invisible dog fences (before leaves began to fall). Iowa One Call marks lawns once at no charge. To have them do it again costs us big money. Water, electric, sewer = no problem. Phone & cable are a different story cuz they usually don't bury it to code. Often just 1 - 2 inches below the surface. They may use 2 or 3 or 4 flags, but for many feet in between = painted lines, and the lines always "curve". This is why we need to be able to see the painted grass.
Our aerator initially worked fine. Other than changing the engine oil, the unit is the same as when we got it. Chains are at proper tightness & oiled daily. Adel dealer said we've done a fine job.

Aleman -- some guys used a lazar cutter on their LS stand-on's. Maybe RABBITTMAN knows why, but I was told it was in regard to drive chains. ???

DA -- how 'bout them HAWKEYES!
Old 10-27-2013, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Mike -- I am not smart enough to know how to diagnose & work on hydraulic equipment on our aerator, but I will probably eventually figure it out like Bill has done. Bill purchased the 1st LS stand-on aerator. Just like you & I did as A-Team members regarding the T3000.

I hope you're making good money with you T3000. BTW we run Kevlar belts in our T's nowadays. We have not replaced a (Kevlar) belt all year long. Have a good one buddy. Larry
Old 10-27-2013, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Larry

An implement dealer would be able to figure out the hydraulics pretty easy. If I had to call the marking service for every lawn I aerated I wouldn't be aerating. It is not my fault if they did not bury the cables deep enough. Out if all the guys who aerate in here I will bet that very few have lawns marked for anything other than irrigation or underground dog fences, and those are the responsibility of the homeowner.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-27-2013, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FdLLawnMan View Post
Larry

An implement dealer would be able to figure out the hydraulics pretty easy. If I had to call the marking service for every lawn I aerated I wouldn't be aerating. It is not my fault if they did not bury the cables deep enough. Out if all the guys who aerate in here I will bet that very few have lawns marked for anything other than irrigation or underground dog fences, and those are the responsibility of the homeowner.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mike, I pondered about checking with an implement dealer regarding the hydraulic problem, but I did not want to affect the one year warrantee with Exmark. Lord knows we have dozens of John Deere dealers within a hundred miles of here (50313).
In my state, we are required by law to contact Iowa One Call. I wish it was not that way, and I know what you're saying. Thanks.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Chapter 480 in particular holds us responsible regarding any impact, impairment, penetration of protective coating, housing, or device. We receive notifications (warnings) several times per year regarding this. I wish it wasn't so.

We were flagged once last year because one invoice did not include the current air temperature. No wonder I'm a Libertarian. America sure ain't what she used to be.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlawn View Post
Only 4 local Exmark/Toro dealers have ever seen a stand-on aerator at their location (East Des Moines, Prairie City, Clive, and Adel). Only 2 of them have ever sold one (Clive & Adel). Only one has ever worked on one (Clive), but they thought the problem was under inflated tires. So you can see why I am concerned. On the other hand, I trust Mike (owner of Adel Power Equipment).

FD - we already aerated lawns with irrigation systems & invisible dog fences (before leaves began to fall). Iowa One Call marks lawns once at no charge. To have them do it again costs us big money. Water, electric, sewer = no problem. Phone & cable are a different story cuz they usually don't bury it to code. Often just 1 - 2 inches below the surface. They may use 2 or 3 or 4 flags, but for many feet in between = painted lines, and the lines always "curve". This is why we need to be able to see the painted grass.
Our aerator initially worked fine. Other than changing the engine oil, the unit is the same as when we got it. Chains are at proper tightness & oiled daily. Adel dealer said we've done a fine job.

Aleman -- some guys used a lazar cutter on their LS stand-on's. Maybe RABBITTMAN knows why, but I was told it was in regard to drive chains. ???

DA -- how 'bout them HAWKEYES!
Picked up a hard earned win against NW. Wasn't always pretty. Tough one this week against Wiskie.
09 Exmark Turf Tracer HP 36"
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
2 Husqvarna 125B Blowers
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13