Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-23-2013, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Member

bobcat ransoms help

I have a older bobcat ransoms 36" belt drive. I purchased this mower a few years ago used and had little to no problems with it. Recently I blew the transition belt and had to order a replacement belt online for the mower. I installed it to the the specifications found in the owners manual. But now I only have a very slow speed.. before I replaced the belt I was able to cycle through a few different speeds.
I adjusted the tension so the belt would be the tightest with the speed lever in the highest position. maybe I am missing something.
any advise would be greatly appreciated to help me mow a lot faster, I am getting tired of walking very slowly as I mow.

Thanks
Old 10-24-2013, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Member

I may not be any help but on my belt drive Bunton the belt between the motor and the transmission is tensioned with an idler pulley. It has the same tension no matter what gear you are in. It sounds to me that your belt is too loose and when it is in a higher gear it begins to slip. When it is geared down it does not put as much strain on the belt. Can you put it in forward and then stall it just by pulling back against it. If so do the pulleys on the output shafts of the transmission turn? If they don't turn then most likely the trans to engine belt is not tight enough or is too long/wrong belt.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Member

the 3rd pulley, the one that moves when you move the speed selector is the tightest when the selector is in the slowest position. according to the speed indicator next to the lever. also the belt was installed correctly according to the chart for the mower. The belt I purchased from jacks small engines online so i would think that it is the correct size for my mower/engine combination. I will take a look and see if the trans pulley is messed up or anything.
thank you for the reply
Old 10-24-2013, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Whats the Model Number of the mower?

I assume it is a geardrive? If so, the drive belt just went around the engine pulley, trans pulley and a backside idler pulley. The backside idler is the one that slides to adjust tension and is up under the rear right corner of the unit.

The belt should have the same tension in 1st gear or in 5th, 6th or 7th depending on model.

Unless it is a variable drive set up?

How very observant of you there captain obvious.

The amount of FREE information that you receive here will be directly proportional to the amount of information that you provide!
Old 10-27-2013, 05:42 PM
LawnSite Member

I put into gear and pulled against it, the shafts don't move at all when the motor is off.

The model # is 933105
Old 10-27-2013, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Member

I am not a small engine mechanic but I own a belt drive Bunton from the mid 90's. It is the only walk behind I am familiar with. My belt is like the guy in AL posted above. When my idler pulley went bad and my engine to trans belt got slack it would pull in low gear but the higher the gear the more it slipped. With the engine ON I could hold the handle bars and stop the forward movement. The pulleys did not spin which told me the belt going to the trans was the issue. I will try to look up your model mower but it sounds like a different setup than mine.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Just looked up your mower on jacks small engine and it is completely different than mine. Wish I could help. This site has been a great help to me in the past.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks for all your efforts. Ill get a hold of a dealer. I just wish it was closer than 40 miles away from me.
Thanks again
Old 10-27-2013, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Member

if its a vari speed pulley on the engine it my be stuck in the open position spray it with wd 40 and tap it slowly closed .. dont break the cast pulley .
Old 10-28-2013, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham721 View Post
I have a older bobcat ransoms 36" belt drive. I purchased this mower a few years ago used and had little to no problems with it. Recently I blew the transition belt and had to order a replacement belt online for the mower. I installed it to the the specifications found in the owners manual. But now I only have a very slow speed.. before I replaced the belt I was able to cycle through a few different speeds.
I adjusted the tension so the belt would be the tightest with the speed lever in the highest position. maybe I am missing something.
any advise would be greatly appreciated to help me mow a lot faster, I am getting tired of walking very slowly as I mow.

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by graham721 View Post
I put into gear and pulled against it, the shafts don't move at all when the motor is off.

The model # is 933105
Grahm721,

Per your model number (933105), that IS a variable speed set up.

Make sure that there are NO pieces of the old belt or any cords of the old belt wrapped up around the variable pulley shaft between the two plates.

Secondly, make sure the lower plate (closer to the ground) of the variable pulley is not seized or hanging... With the belt off, you should be able to "pull" the lower plate away from the upper plate by hand. It will be stiff, but should move and begin to compress the spring!
Also make sure not to overadjust the threaded rod that pulls on the movable idler. If you do, your "slow speed" will be faster and your "fast speeds" will be even faster!
Be aware also that you can take the variable pulley apart if it is hanging/seized... Keep in mind there are also 2 different versions.

The OEM drive belt part number is 38670.

See attached PDF
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Variable Speed Pulley.pdf (224.1 KB, 7 views)

How very observant of you there captain obvious.

The amount of FREE information that you receive here will be directly proportional to the amount of information that you provide!