The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-27-2013, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Charlie Gill

678-896-five-zero-four-eight
Old 10-27-2013, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think it's great that you are taking initiative and also taking something that you learned at GIE and implementing it so quickly.... I would be all about joining your group however I am at the end of my first year of a solo op and I am holding back the reigns a bit as my wife is in nursing school and I am helping out a lot with our little one... I have serious plans for growth from year 3 to year 5 so looks like I will miss the boat with your particular group but I just wanted to say kudos for thinking and acting like a real business owner and professional. It is what will eventually set you aside from the rest of the pack. I would suggest closely scrutinizing any potential candidates for your group as you will really want to have people with your similar drive, passion, and vision on board. Good luck!
Old 10-27-2013, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvinky View Post
Okay...so I just got back yesterday from GIE Expo and want to start immediately to implement one of the ideas I took away from the show...peer groups.

I want to form a mastermind group of 4-6 guys around the country who are all in the same position as far as where we are in size of companies to network 3 to 4 times per year, hold each other accountable and help each other grow.

I am a one truck operation right now with 2 to 3 part time guys. We mow two to three days per week and spend the rest of the week on landscaping. Hopefully we can go to two to three different divisions by next year. Lawn mowing, landscaping, and possibly lawn care. I would like enough lawns for two guys all week so that I can focus on landscaping and lawn care divisions. We are in Western Ky and I would like to keep the members of the group far enough away from each other so there is no competition between us. That would help with being open about our business.

If this sounds like something any of you guys want to do, let me know and we can start forming a peer group!
I bet they got this idea from going to church It is a good idea though.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
I bet they got this idea from going to church It is a good idea though.
What does church have to do with it??
Old 10-28-2013, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Everybody that has expressed interest. I will contact you this week sometime.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:32 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvinky View Post
What does church have to do with it??
There has been a trend to take church/bible principles and apply them to businesses. I just always find it interesting when I spot it. Most multi level marketing is based on it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-28-2013, 01:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It's not just that. A lot of "larger" churches have experimented in the past several years by using "small group" based Bible studies and interaction as a way to allow people to get to know one another better and not feel so lost in the crowd. Small group sessions have been around for decades. Rick Warren back in the early 2000's was one of the bigger ones in the evangelical settings to get it mainstreamed. His church in CA is a "mega church" and one of his books was somewhat designed to be most effective when read/interacted in a "small group".

But again, it's not just churches... I know when I was in "industry" the company I worked for had 8 branches across 4 states with over 600 employees. Each branch was similar in what functions we offered to clients with each have several specialty departments (mine was IT audit w/emphasis on network security and financial control), so quarterly we had a big get together with the other similar departments from the other branches to do somewhat of an informal review of each others work and what we were seeing in the field and stuff. It was good, basically a 3 day paid vacation on the clock...
Old 10-28-2013, 03:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Well I was interested until ya started turnin it into a bible study group.

Just kidding, I hear ya, sounds like a good idea
Old 10-28-2013, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Interesting idea. You guys should post back on the forum with updates on what the group is doing and improvements you've seen or made thanks to the group. I have had a similar idea in the past however my idea was about taking people from different industries in the same area with similar target clientele and getting together on some things. Sharing information with a guy who details high end cars is very little risk to my business but the possibilities are endless.

Just a few ideas I had about the group I was looking to start that could apply to your group.
-Write a newsletter together, each member contributes a small article and it's beneficial to your clients and you without the headache of writing an entire newsletter yourself
-Share other marketing burdens, order large quantities of promotional material with group buying power then individually send them to a printer to stamp your logo on them, you should still save money this way.
Good luck with the idea and bring back some results. It will be interesting to see the idea in motion.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTS View Post
Interesting idea. You guys should post back on the forum with updates on what the group is doing and improvements you've seen or made thanks to the group. I have had a similar idea in the past however my idea was about taking people from different industries in the same area with similar target clientele and getting together on some things. Sharing information with a guy who details high end cars is very little risk to my business but the possibilities are endless.

Just a few ideas I had about the group I was looking to start that could apply to your group.
-Write a newsletter together, each member contributes a small article and it's beneficial to your clients and you without the headache of writing an entire newsletter yourself
-Share other marketing burdens, order large quantities of promotional material with group buying power then individually send them to a printer to stamp your logo on them, you should still save money this way.
Good luck with the idea and bring back some results. It will be interesting to see the idea in motion.
My company currently has something loosely like what you are talking about. I have about 5 other companies in different fields (plumbing, electrician, hardscaping...) that we've gotten to know over the years. The big thing for me is that I know their work and their values and quality of work reflect my company too. I'd hate to refer an electrician that is going to end up on one of those Dateline NBC episodes for pricing who knows what for a $100 job. It looks good on us to be able to honestly refer others who do honest work.