Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-26-2013, 02:05 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billc1004 View Post
thats an old system it seems . past 30 years they have been poly .
Ya its old
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-26-2013, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
Ya its old
Posted via Mobile Device
Make sure the pump is wired correctly, there is no losing its prime, when you put a submersible well pump into water it will pump if working properly. Turn it on and let it run, the water (if pumping) will go somewhere, and show any leak if a pipe is broken.

You are sure this is the well used by the owner's house, and it was in fact pumping properly before it was hit? If you cracked the casing, it would not keep the well from pumping water. I am beginning to wonder if you shorted wires when the casing was hit by the mower and the pump is not running.

The pump is not hard to pull, get it up high enough to hook a four-wheeler to the pipe and ease it out with the ATV while a couple of people help feed the pipe out of the casing. This keeps the pipe feeding out so as to keep it from rubbing the casing. I use a wheel to let the pipe roll over and out in one smooth motion as it is being pulled. The grooved wheel turns with the pipe as it is pulled out of the casing.

Remember, if the pump is in fact pumping, the water must go somewhere.

I will be interested in hearing how the problem is solved, please come back and tell us about the fix.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
Make sure the pump is wired correctly, there is no losing its prime, when you put a submersible well pump into water it will pump if working properly. Turn it on and let it run, the water (if pumping) will go somewhere, and show any leak if a pipe is broken.

You are sure this is the well used by the owner's house, and it was in fact pumping properly before it was hit? If you cracked the casing, it would not keep the well from pumping water. I am beginning to wonder if you shorted wires when the casing was hit by the mower and the pump is not running.

The pump is not hard to pull, get it up high enough to hook a four-wheeler to the pipe and ease it out with the ATV while a couple of people help feed the pipe out of the casing. This keeps the pipe feeding out so as to keep it from rubbing the casing. I use a wheel to let the pipe roll over and out in one smooth motion as it is being pulled. The grooved wheel turns with the pipe as it is pulled out of the casing.

Remember, if the pump is in fact pumping, the water must go somewhere.

I will be interested in hearing how the problem is solved, please come back and tell us about the fix.
Ya he said he was calling a local company to handle it. I called today for an update and no answer. So I don't know what's going on. It is 100percent the house well.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-26-2013, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Posted via Mobile Device

http://www.flotecpump.com/Residentia...eshooting.aspx

Last edited by 1idejim; 10-26-2013 at 09:27 PM.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
I examened it. The top came off and cut the wires. He rewired it and got it running but its not sucking up water. I was not there for that. I called my dad and says he bets its rusted and might of broke the pipe going into the house.
Posted via Mobile Device
That pipe going to the house is either copper or polyethelene so its not rusted. Also if its to code it should be buried at 60''. Unlikely that it broke from a 5mph hit. My guess is its a wiring issue, and the pump isn't getting enough amps. I've seen wellheads hit with heavy equipment before and it takes a pretty serious impact to crack one.
(2) 2012 bobcat 48'' classic pro wb's
stihl br 600 backpacks
husky saws, trimmers, etc...
18' Doolittle enclosed trailer
monster 18hp truck loader
yanmar vio40 excavator
Old 10-27-2013, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerr83 View Post
That pipe going to the house is either copper or polyethelene so its not rusted. Also if its to code it should be buried at 60''. Unlikely that it broke from a 5mph hit. My guess is its a wiring issue, and the pump isn't getting enough amps. I've seen wellheads hit with heavy equipment before and it takes a pretty serious impact to crack one.
well he hasn't called me back I am guessing something most of gone right
Old 10-28-2013, 12:22 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm in a much milder climate, so my feed from the well head into the house is only about 12"-14" deep ... my guess would be that you possibly dislodged or broke the coupling where the water transitions from vertical to horizontal, going underground and into the house. it is a dovetailed type of slip fitting with an o-ring to seal the connection.

If you have access to an amp-clamp or a voltage detector, check to see if there is actually power going to the submerged pump ... crazy as it sounds ... the homeowner might have properly rewired his pump, but when the wires were cut, it probably kicked the breaker. You've got to be sure there is power flowing to the pump.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
well he hasn't called me back I am guessing something most of gone right
Don't just guess, run yer ass out there!
Old 10-28-2013, 12:44 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newz7151 View Post
Don't just guess, run yer ass out there!
Its not in my hands. He put it in his. He said he was going to call so and so. I don't have rights to do whatever to his property. Its his property and he will fix it as he sees fit so he will be happy in the end. If you get in an accident and its your fault you don't tell them you will take care of it because its not your property to take care of. If something is not done to their liking its your head. Plus its an hr drive to their house and they are hardly ever home. Soooo if I call and they don't return my call I am not going to show up to no one being home and what would showing up solve? Staring at the well?
Old 10-28-2013, 11:54 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I hope it works out well (pun intended) for you. A glass door on an unused lower floor of a property I mow was broken after I mowed. I'm still not convinced I did it, would have had to have been with the trimmer, because there are a ton of kids living across the street, and I find rocks in the lawn all the time. However, I never noticed if it was broken before I started or not, so I told the property owner to get it repaired, and I would pay for it. They did, but I didn't receive a bill, so I put a note in the next month's invoice, and again asked them to send me the bill. That was last year, and have yet to receive anything from them. It is quite possible the homeowner just decided to get it fixed and forget about it.