Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-10-2013, 02:39 AM
LawnSite Member

'Now I'm gonna have to toss a puppy down a well just so I can rescue it to have a decent story" lmao! Hey let me get a piece of that action. About two weeks ago I was at a client's home finishing up a service and the older gentleman that lives next door starts cutting his lawn he starts in the front and moves to the rear of the house. There were lawn clippings all over the lawn I just blew them off for the guy.

44' Toro Prolline
36' Cub Cadet
Redmax EBZ 8000
Shindaiwa C2510
Tarps up the wazo
wheelbarrow
Mulch Shovel
Rakes ect

Wishlist: 2005 Silverado 2500 HD
BOSS 7'6" POWER-V STEEL BLADE
2Stage Snow Blower (I have to think of a loading system because these things are HEAVY)

~Entrepreneurship has provided me with a avenue to make money when corporate America hasn't.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Shoved off a bunch of sidewalks where senior citizens live.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-28-2013, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I build community gardens and maintain a couple properties (and do chores) for older widowed women that cant handle physical tasks. This garden was built for the "junior master gardener" program in flowery branch elementary school. The kids have really had fun with it. We created a pizza garden (every slice has a different topping for pizza) and an indian TP that has a bean stalk covering it. The kids are always fighting for who gets to stay in the tp lol. When things slow down here I am going to add a history garden. (corn, wheat, cotton, tobacco, peanuts, ext.)

Ive taken advantage of the world market and started a new business. We are building bombs in the shape of prayer blankets for our middle eastern customers. Business couldnt be better. The prophets are going through the roof!!
Old 10-29-2013, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

There is an older gentleman in my neighborhood. His wife is sick and in a home and he found out that he has terminal cancer. He now has his house on the market so that he doesnt have to burden his kids with selling it when he is gone.

I took the mower and blower down the other weekend (plan on it again this week) and mowed his lawn and blew the leaves out of the beds. I was glad to help as my wife knows his daughter.

Well about a day later I got a very nice voicemail from him. Made my wife cry. I didnt know how he got my number until his daughter posted on facebook. Apparently he could not get to the door to say thank you in person so he got in his car and drive around the neighborhood looking for an open garage with a funny looking red mower (exmark vantage). He happing to stop at my brother in laws house down the street and asked him if he knew anyone with a mower like that and my brother gave him my number.

My mother in law passed from cancer a few years back so I know how hard these things can be. Mowing (which I like doing anyway) was the least I could do to help him out.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanum View Post
I arrived late to a meeting several years back soaked to the skin. They guy asked why the hell I was 15 minutes late. I explained I had pulled over to change a tyre for a couple and the guy who was a best man for a wedding, he was wearing a tux and would have gotten destroyed in the rain. They sat in the warmth of my truck while i changed the wheel. As it happened the church was close to where I leave all my tyres to be repaired so I dropped it over after "the meeting". The tyre was ripped on the side so as a good deed I paid for a new one. I didn't get the job from the meeting but I got loads of jobs from the Best man, he runs a facilities company and is now one of my biggest customers. What goes around comes around, some people say they have no luck. You have to make your own.
The author Jim Collins calls it "return on luck" and argues that it may be more important then ROE, ROA or ROI. He writes that when two people enter the same industry at roughly the same time and one has 10 times the success as the other he is getting a better ROL - whether it is good or bad luck. The 10Xer's when faced with bad luck took the attitude of "what ever doesn't kill me makes me stronger" and were generally more prepared that bad luck will happen at some time. On the flip side when 10Xer's are presented with good luck they seize it and build upon for years.

Book is "Great by Choice" and has alot of great concepts and research.