Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-29-2013, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Member

need some advice

I am cutting this grass and its has a slope on it. The yard is really wet. Once I get toward the bottom my 22in mower slides. My mower is not heavy at all. Its a toro self pace. I don't want to keep hurting his yard. he do have a sprinkler system but I'm not sure why the yard is holding water. Any advice will help what I should do and how, anything is a help. Thanks guys and gals.
Attached Images

Old 10-29-2013, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Use a weed whipper, should solve the problem.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep use the trimmer at the slopped part, I have a small corner at one of my lawns that gets so wet I avoid walking there at all !!!!

Lots for sale
http://www.ebay.com/sch/approvedjdm/...&_trksid=p3692

Old 10-29-2013, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Member

its a bigger than that maybe i should call it a hill. Here is a picture of that. The extra pictures is his front yard with the brown patches. he inform that it comes back every year. I just took over this yard recently.

Last edited by scout007; 10-29-2013 at 11:45 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Member

here is the back and the brown spot.
Attached Images

Last edited by scout007; 10-30-2013 at 12:05 AM.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

The irrigation system needs to be balanced so that the entire yard receives the proper amount of water (such as more in sunny areas, less in shade, and so on)... It is a time consuming process that, unless you have the home-owner's cooperation, won't have but so much benefit... Fact is the system needs to be adjusted according to seasonal changes in temperature and rainfall as we go through the year as well, and to be blunt, if the homeowner doesn't care, as a rule neither do I.

Generally speaking it takes 20-30 maybe 45 minutes to an hour to go through the entire system the first time, zone by zone, inspecting each head and mapping out the area, then making the adjustments both to the timers and possibly to individual sprinklers as well, so as to make sure coverage is appropriate. Yeah, I mean I'm telling you, it's a labor of love and it's not something I do for anyone except long term customers.

After that it takes waiting and seeing how it all works out, one or two more tweaks are not unusual
but once you get it all set up and straight it's really nice to have it that way.

So if they do care, it can be a worthwhile endeavor.
More so because I don't charge for the service.

It's especially nice if their controller box has a % adjustment button.

Last edited by herler; 10-30-2013 at 12:13 AM.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Okay, I will inform them about the this. They just moved in and when I first notice how soak it was I ask him to keep the sprinklers turned off so that it can dry. He inform me that the sprinklers was off for seven days and it was still soak when I can back to check it. I had to aerate the top of the hill so I know he had to turn it back on after the ten days. Okay so once I transition the sprinkler system I guess I can only use the weed-eater to cut that part of the lawn.