Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-26-2013, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

HaHa! Landscape fabric! Why do clients keep insisting time and time again after I school them on the truth! While I still disagree with you there Uponone605, you get props for noting the left hand turn on a hot day.... That, I cannot deny...... And also shows that you know what you are talking about....
Old 07-28-2013, 12:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Unless I overlooked it , did anyone list the briggs and stratton company? Yes the whole company. Also stamped steel mower decks( shouldn't't have ever been sold in the southeast). As mentioned earlier, I loved the fancy stihl caps. I loved being 45 min from home and having 2 stroke down my left leg.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Member

In no order:

Cash for Clunkers
half crank engines (IMO)
Ethanol

Surprised nobody mentioned non-adjustable carburetors yet. I love my PB-250 Echo except for that I basically have to warm it up for 5 minutes.

For all the Briggs haters, I really don't get where you're coming from (please do tell me your experiences). I love my 675 and 725EX quantums on my Snapper 21'' mowers. I've never had a Briggs engine on a riding mower so maybe that's where they suck, but my briggs 675 is like 6(?) years old and has had one oil change and no other maintenance (I know, I know) but starts one pull and is powerful and reliable. More reliable than the GXV160 on our commercial grade Snapper 21''.

Maybe I'll think of some others later, I'm sure I have more.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JandBLawnCare View Post
Unless I overlooked it , did anyone list the briggs and stratton company? Yes the whole company. Also stamped steel mower decks( shouldn't't have ever been sold in the southeast). As mentioned earlier, I loved the fancy stihl caps. I loved being 45 min from home and having 2 stroke down my left leg.
Completely agree....I also hated the Stihl on/off switches on the chainsaws. Have you ever taken one apart and seen that mess...Finally ditched all my Stihl stuff for various reasons
Old 10-28-2013, 02:24 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

up here in alaska, EVERYone uses landscape fabric and plastic edging.... i try to tell them...ummm we stopped using this stuff 15 years ago because it's crap and it doesn't work.... but oh no! the other 48 states must be dumb...because you know...ummm alaska is bigger so there!
Old 10-29-2013, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsden&Son View Post
Oh, I get it! You are not fortunate enough to have ever operated a Walker..... With Walker's tilt up deck, they are just as compact as a Stander.... My 26EFI is only north of 800 lbs.... As for full view of the deck and ducking under trees, closer to obstacles and turning in smaller spaces..... This is what Walker is known for! And this is where I am coming from.... But if all you run is mid-mounts, I guess a stander would benefit you... I guess...
. If you want your back to hurt than run a walker every day all day
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-30-2013, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes View Post
Reading the thread about landscape fabric........................Landscape fabric. Biggest scam failure, flop, disaster.

Well, maybe second, Imprelis is up there too.
I agree with that one. I can't count how many moron clients I've had request it for underneath mulch, useless.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-30-2013, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JandBLawnCare View Post
I don't really get the hate of stamped decks. Is it for regular stamped or any stamped. The Deere 7 iron deck is pretty darn good and its stamped. Mind you out of 7 guage steel + plus the 1'4 inch welded skirt around the bottom.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsden&Son View Post
I don't put oil in my stomach so why would I put corn in my Lawnmower!!!!!!!!!! And..... great point about the gas cans.... I am lucky enough to have very generous In-Laws who bequeathed some oldies but goodies to me.. Here's another one that I know I will get slammed for but here it goes...... STANDERS????????????? Why? Don't get me wrong, there are some beautiful standers on the market that give great cuts, Wright and Gravely come to mind. But why? In all honesty(and I have done extensive research on the subject being in the industry for over 15 years) the only thing a stander does better than a rider is mow hills. And the only thing a stander does better than a walk-behind is give you a ride(sulky..... duh!) Yeah, I guess they free up a little bit of space on the trailer but enough to take the industry by storm? I mean, come on! Listen to this quote from the May/June issue of one of my favorite magazines, Green Industry Pros..... "Campbell is also seeing strong acceptance of the stand-on concept among his younger customers. To them, standing up is something different and "cool." And because these younger contractors are still relatively new to the business, they aren't as stuck on the idea of sit-down mowing." Huh? Sorry, but I don't care what age somebody is..... Productivity and comfort are paramount when mowing all day and just like "The Twindstorm Dually"......... This FAD will surely pass......
I used a stander a few months ago and will never get on one again. It was a piece. I just think if you're looking to increase productivity buy a ztr. I'm going to stick to a hydro walk behind with sulky based fleet. Lawns here are too small for z's, and even the big ones, that are few and far between, can easily be done with walk behinds. If rather buy a exmark 60" turf tracer with a proslide to get those big lawns done quicker than spend twice as much on even a 54" ZTR that sits in the trailer most if the day.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-30-2013, 12:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes View Post
Reading the thread about landscape fabric........................Landscape fabric. Biggest scam failure, flop, disaster.

Well, maybe second, Imprelis is up there too.
I only use landscape fabric for stone beds, does nothing but keep the stones from sinking into the soil for a few years. Other than that, I spend every mulch estimate talking people out of it.
Posted via Mobile Device