Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-29-2013, 12:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efficiency View Post
such as........
Posted via Mobile Device
Central irrigation and turf. Irrigation prices consistantly lower. Fert prices lower. No haggeling for a low price, its low right away.

Brought a bag I had to jdl to see if they had something similar for the price I was getting. Jdl comment was that is a good fert with micros for the price. Didn't have anything to compare with the micro content.

The jdl guys are great but the pricing game even having someone go over the account was still off.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-29-2013, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with jbturf. I don't think this will be good for any of their customers except perhaps TG. While I thought that John Deere buying LESCO would be a good thing, I can't think of anything good that happened. I thought LESCO had a lot on the ball for a lot of years. I rarely go there any more. I make the trip for seed and the occasional chemical my other distributor does not handle.

The people at the counter have consistently been great. I enjoy talking to them and always learn something. However, their prices are all over the place. It appears they are way more into irrigation than fertilizer, chemical, and seed these days. 'No delivery' makes it just about impossible for me to use them. I do not do enough volume to use several different suppliers. My rep at the company I do use was a classmate at turf school years ago. Working with home has been great in every way. Price is in the middle of the list of things I care most about.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
such as........
Posted via Mobile Device
such as...I went to JDL to price fert this past spring. I told them I was not going to use Agrium XCU this year, it was killing my machines with dust. I asked for a price on the Lesco 28-3-10 4%Fe 50%SCU. Initially,the price in the computer came up @$36/bag. I told them there was no F'ing way I was going to pay that(Mind you, I've spent hundreds of thousands of $'s with them over the years). I was told the manager could do better...and he did...$26/bag. Still no F'ing way I was going to pay that. A little birdie told me Ewing was selling good quality fert at a reasonable price so I went to check them out. I've never bought a damned thing from them in my life until this year. They had 28-3-10 5%Fe 50% UFLEXX that was an excellent product all the way around...$19.85/bag. They also give you 2% of your total purchases for the year back to you at the end of the year in the form of a cash card. Until just recently, I was buying 2 tons/week and had been doing that since the first of April. Ewing tries to encourage you to come in and buy more by offering incentives not to mention better pricing.

JDL penalizes you by raising your prices if you don't make enough purchases to stay in your "tier" on their pricing structure. What kind of"business" sense does that make.

So, instead of making $50K in sales to me this year, I've spent around a thousand with them.

P.S. Riggle, TG has been getting "National" pricing from JDL for years. Turfdoctor does as well. Not only does TG get national pricing but those schmucks will come in and clean out the JDL branch of items that everyone needs. ( some chems, gun rebuild kits, 2gpm tips, etc...) I think they do it to piss the small guys off.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
such as........
Posted via Mobile Device
such as...I went to JDL to price fert this past spring. I told them I was not going to use Agrium XCU this year, it was killing my machines with dust. I asked for a price on the Lesco 28-3-10 4%Fe 50%SCU. Initially,the price in the computer came up @$36/bag. I told them there was no F'ing way I was going to pay that(Mind you, I've spent hundreds of thousands of $'s with them over the years). I was told the manager could do better...and he did...$26/bag. Still no F'ing way I was going to pay that. A little birdie told me Ewing was selling good quality fert at a reasonable price so I went to check them out. I've never bought a damned thing from them in my life until this year. They had 28-3-10 5%Fe 50% UFLEXX that was an excellent product all the way around...$19.85/bag. They also give you 2% of your total purchases for the year back to you at the end of the year in the form of a cash card. Until just recently, I was buying 2 tons/week and had been doing that since the first of April. Ewing tries to encourage you to come in and buy more by offering incentives not to mention better pricing.

JDL penalizes you by raising your prices if you don't make enough purchases to stay in your "tier" on their pricing structure. What kind of"business" sense does that make.

So, instead of making $50K in sales to me this year, I've spent around a thousand with them.

P.S. Riggle, TG has been getting "National" pricing from JDL for years. Turfdoctor does as well. Not only does TG get national pricing but those schmucks will come in and clean out the JDL branch of items that everyone needs. ( some chems, gun rebuild kits, 2gpm tips, etc...) I think they do it to piss the small guys off.

Sorry, I meant to put Lawndoctor, not Turfdoctor...It's been a long day.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
really? we are making truck payments off their savings.
I cant say on here what i think of JDL. I buy one item from them and its quinclorac. Other then that I go elsewhere. I really cant stand them. When i was new in this business i walked in and asked for help so they said sure! charged me 220.00 For 10 lb of prodiamine and 106.00 for 2.5 gallons of 3way. Kudos to them for taking advantage but I dont go there much. I too, just like westgapine can get my fert 6.00 per bag cheaper. They coulda made a lot of $$ off me if they would have treated me right from the start but ive moved on to bigger and better companies. Those companys are making my house payment... sorry for the rant
Old 10-30-2013, 01:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

JDL closed up their Rochester branch a few years back, at that point I switched to Reinders and did not look back. I like having a local place handy....and don't want to pay the delivery charge JDL was going to assess to bring the fert down to me from the Twin Cities.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 10-30-2013, 08:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think JDL has been going down since they purchased Lesco. I used to buy 100% from them. I have not hardly bought anything from them in the last 2-3 years myself. They have priced themselves out of the business.
As far as TG I bet their pricing wont even chance. As stated they are already getting bottom of the barrel pricing.
There isn't much margin at all in fert at all at high quantities so I am sure there isn't too much room for them to move.
Plus they don't use that much fert anyway. LOL
Old 10-30-2013, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgialawn88 View Post
I cant say on here what i think of JDL. I buy one item from them and its quinclorac. Other then that I go elsewhere. I really cant stand them. When i was new in this business i walked in and asked for help so they said sure! charged me 220.00 For 10 lb of prodiamine and 106.00 for 2.5 gallons of 3way. Kudos to them for taking advantage but I dont go there much. I too, just like westgapine can get my fert 6.00 per bag cheaper. They coulda made a lot of $$ off me if they would have treated me right from the start but ive moved on to bigger and better companies. Those companys are making my house payment... sorry for the rant
Who do you purchase your fertilizer from?

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. --Leonardo da Vinci

http://integritylawnpro.com
Old 10-30-2013, 10:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcreech View Post
I think JDL has been going down since they purchased Lesco. I used to buy 100% from them. I have not hardly bought anything from them in the last 2-3 years myself. They have priced themselves out of the business.
As far as TG I bet their pricing wont even chance. As stated they are already getting bottom of the barrel pricing.
There isn't much margin at all in fert at all at high quantities so I am sure there isn't too much room for them to move.
Plus they don't use that much fert anyway. LOL
Rod, I used to use GV too but I get no cust service from them and always had to ask 2 or 3 times for better pricing - what jdl was quoting us.

Maybe our experiences are attriburable to going to branch vs having cell num of our account rep? They sometimes try to charge shipping and when confronted will take it off no pproblem.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Charles; 10-30-2013 at 07:08 PM.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Rod, I used to use GV too but I get no cust service from them and always had to ask 2 or 3 times for better pricing - what jdl was quoting us.

Maybe our experiences are attriburable to going to branch vs having cell num of our account rep? They sometimes try to charge shipping and when confronted will take it off no pproblem.
Posted via Mobile Device
My GV salesman was with JDL originally and I have been working with him for 8 years. We have not only a business relationship but I would also call him a friend. He has helped us grow our business and he used to sell me 6 pallets at a time. With his patience and help he now sells me 14 loads at a time.
I still base my decision somewhat on price but there is definitely a service side too.

This year is was the "cheapest" so we are buying everything from him but our pre.

I bet he is here atleast 1-2 times a week either looking at lawns or delivering product.

If you want his number PM me. I may even be able to help you out with some pricing due to our volume.

Last edited by Charles; 10-30-2013 at 07:13 PM.