Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-30-2013, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Member

New Maryland Applicator Certification

Has anyone taken this exam? I am signed up to take it in a couple of weeks and am curious if it is straight froward or not.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Took the test on 9/18 and got the results back on 10/19.

If you pass, which I did, you just get the certificate with your cert number. No test score.

The test is straight forward. As with any test you still have to watch how they word the question.

I would recommend going to the review before the test, it was very helpful.

I know of several questions I got right just from the review, so I would really pay attention.

Just study the info you can print off the MDA website, take your time with every question and you'll do fine.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Took it in back in September and received my certificate 10/17. Like LHS stated the test is pretty straight forward but you will have to pay attention to how the questions are worded. The review before hand though not very organized is helpful. A good portion of the test questions were gone over during the review. I just read the manual 2 or 3 times and was able to pass with ease. Remember to bring the manual to the review session. Also you will need a real calculator (one not on your phone) for the test. I thought the test was easy but there were a few people in there that were taking the test for their second time. Good luck!
Old 11-04-2013, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you still need 1-2 years under someone, or collage classes. Or has that changed?
Old 11-04-2013, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutbetterthanyou View Post
Do you still need 1-2 years under someone, or collage classes. Or has that changed?
Not for the new certified "fertilizer" applicator's license. This is not the same as the pesticide applicator's license. You still will need that license to apply pesticides (weed & feed, pre-emergent, post emergent, insecticides). This new certification only allows you to apply NPK. Check MDA's web site http://mda.maryland.gov/Pages/fertilizer.aspx and it should answer all of your questions.

This is a huge law change that affects everyone who applies fertilizers in Maryland including homeowners. Organics like Orgo and Leafgrow will now be regulated as well.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh, i got ya i thought that fert fell under the pesticide side of it. Haven't looked at it in a while, i gave up after i was told i had to go to school or work for someone else.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Member

If you want to know if you passed or not before you get the actual notification in the mail go to the MDA Nutrient Management website and click on New Lawn Fert Law to the left and then go to the list of Certified Lawn Care Pros down on the right.

I stumbled upon it one day and the list with my name had been posted about two weeks after the test.

Maybe they told us to look there but I sure don't remember but either way it will save about two weeks time of worrying about whether you passed or not.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS Lawns View Post
If you want to know if you passed or not before you get the actual notification in the mail go to the MDA Nutrient Management website and click on New Lawn Fert Law to the left and then go to the list of Certified Lawn Care Pros down on the right.

I stumbled upon it one day and the list with my name had been posted about two weeks after the test.

Maybe they told us to look there but I sure don't remember but either way it will save about two weeks time of worrying about whether you passed or not.
Nice find LHS! I was looking for that a few weeks back myself. Yes it would have eased some worries.... They did mention a list but as with everything else they were vague about where or when it would be posted.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Member

That's very helpful. I will go through the manual one more time and go to the review. Any idea what the continuing education credits are all about? Could not find any details on the web.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:40 AM
LawnSite Member

MDA is slow catching up on all the requirements. They will place a certain number of credits you have to have each year to keep your certification up to date.

I'm sure there will be some training/courses offered thru MDA throughout the year to get enough credits to maintain your certification.

I know with my MDA Ag Nutrient Manangement Cert they always give you plenty of opportunities to get the credits you need to stay current.

There is a business license fee that they are working on now for those that own a business applying fertilizer.

It sounds like the pest license where you have one cert that has just your name and one cert with your business name. A fee for each one.