Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-25-2013, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadco View Post
I just bought this one used with 89 hours on it last weekend.

to mow 2 acres with

Great mower man. I think I am on the John Deere train for a while. The real John Deere ZTR's are just amazing. It is great to go to a John Deere commercial dealer and look at goodies they make. Just top notch.
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
Stihl BG55 handheld blower
AMSOIL In Everything I own
Old 10-25-2013, 05:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm a JD fan too. I have a 62" deck for the 2305 but prefer to mow with the Exmark. I bought it when we bought our current home...my wife gave me a lot of grief about it at the time......but we both use it for everything now.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capemay Eagle View Post
Maybe when I move and have multiple acres of treeless property, then maybe. I have got to stop with this insanity. My wife has just come to accept this insanity and her thought is, if I am happy, she if happy for me, but she still thinks I need help This is like my 6th mower since 06. Most of the people on my street have a lawn service, but the ones with tractors have had the same one since before I can remember. I mean the guy I sold my lawn tractor to so I could by my first Fastrak still has it LOL Usesi it every week.

I have just come to terms that a ZTR just does not work for me. My yard is to small for what I want and need. Just to much debris and even in the summer, there are always leaves. I have been eyeing the X300 for years and the tractor is just a thing of beauty. As much as I love my ZTR's a tractor just fits my needs.
I hear ya. It comes down to an individuals needs for sure. I'm still loving my little ZTR. There's been a few times when being able to mow fast to beat the dark has been very nice...mainly in the middle of our hot and humid summers when I try to mow just before dark. Also I mow a couple neighbors yards for some extra cash and the ZTR has been great for that also...time wise. Right now, I don't see my self going back to a tractor. I do plan to move in about a year and a half, and I'll see what size of a yard I'll have to maintain.

Kevin
Old 10-27-2013, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Member

10 Year Old Cubcadet Z-Force 44 Intek 18HP

She is 10 years old, purchased the year the Z-Force came out. The Kawasaki Motors ran out the first month and they began the Briggs 18HP Intek run.
I replaced the side compartment with a 2nd fuel tank that balanced out my turning very well.
10 years later I have the famous Intek leaking head gasket. She has been running like this for a couple years with me adding 1/2 cup of oil every 3 hrs of operation. Started fine, ran fine, only visibly smoked on start up. If not for a disciplined oil level check at every session I may have lost her. She does have a low oil pressure alarm though.
I pulled the motor yesterday to carry to the shop Monday.

I mow a 1/2 acre wooded lot of healthy Fescue weekly, 9 to 10 months a year and I LOVE this mower. Even with the blown gasket I have no regrets.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by therock View Post
She is 10 years old, purchased the year the Z-Force came out. The Kawasaki Motors ran out the first month and they began the Briggs 18HP Intek run.
I replaced the side compartment with a 2nd fuel tank that balanced out my turning very well.
10 years later I have the famous Intek leaking head gasket. She has been running like this for a couple years with me adding 1/2 cup of oil every 3 hrs of operation. Started fine, ran fine, only visibly smoked on start up. If not for a disciplined oil level check at every session I may have lost her. She does have a low oil pressure alarm though.
I pulled the motor yesterday to carry to the shop Monday.

[/QUOTE]

Man you gotta be happy with 10 years on an Intek. I tell people all the time not to be afraid of Briggs especially the newer ones, they look impressive especially the cyclonic commercial engines. That mower looks solid, sounds like you want to keep it, why not slap another engine on it? Still looks relatively new.
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
Old 10-30-2013, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avguy View Post
I'm a JD fan too. I have a 62" deck for the 2305 but prefer to mow with the Exmark. I bought it when we bought our current home...my wife gave me a lot of grief about it at the time......but we both use it for everything now.

AV I love that tractor of yours, believe you me, if I had the property, I would have one to. That time is getting closer though, I am looking to move soon, I want no less than 5 acres. I guess that means a new mower then? Maybe a Super Z
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
Old 10-31-2013, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Capemay you don't need a lot of property....just an understanding wife
Old 02-05-2014, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saw n mow View Post
I called Briggs and they said that pushing the throttle to 'choke' each time for starting (including a warm engine) is normal. Normal with any Briggs with the integrated throttle/choke. Just passing this along. If there is anybody with a Briggs with the same throttle/choke setup that can start their warm engine without pushing the throttle to 'choke', I'd like to hear about it please. Thanks.

Kevin
Most of the newer engines are leaned out for emissions with limit caps on the mixture screws. If you alter the limiter cap so that you can adjust the idle mixture that the engine REALLY likes, it'll start right up at low idle. The reason that they won't start, except with the choke on is because they are limited to a too lean condition at idle.