Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-30-2013, 06:46 PM
bubbadog1 bubbadog1 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: columbus ohio
Posts: 10
How much grease?

I recently purchased a 2010 Toro Z master with a Turboforce deck. The owner's manual states that the spindles should be greased until you see grease coming out of the lower seals. I have pumped probably 1/2 of a tube into one spindle and do not see grease anywhere. How much grease do these spindles hold? I am certain that the grease is going into the spindle. Any help?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-30-2013, 06:56 PM
DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: dennis ma.
Posts: 1,344
On our scags you will see grease pushing out the opposite side of the spindle from the fitting. I don't know if that helps you at all. Sounds like with a half tube in there it's gotta be coming out somewhere!
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-30-2013, 07:28 PM
ricky86 ricky86 is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Monmouth Cty N.J.
Posts: 1,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbadog1 View Post
I recently purchased a 2010 Toro Z master with a Turboforce deck. The owner's manual states that the spindles should be greased until you see grease coming out of the lower seals. I have pumped probably 1/2 of a tube into one spindle and do not see grease anywhere. How much grease do these spindles hold? I am certain that the grease is going into the spindle. Any help?
Keep pumping. I had to purchase a air powered gun. Few landscapers do anything besides adding fuel (and whining about bills). It's actulaly a neat setup. Flushes them out. No wonder 2000 hrs are the norm.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-30-2013, 07:38 PM
Classic Cuts Lawn Service's Avatar
Classic Cuts Lawn Service Classic Cuts Lawn Service is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Herndon, Virginia
Posts: 893
When its new its gonna take atleast 3/4 a tube. I bought a new 48 tf wb a while back and it took FOREVER for the grease to start coming out
__________________
Classic Cuts Lawn Service
Ford and Chevy trucks
Exmark, Toro, Scag mowers
Stihl and Echo handhelds
Commercial Applicator Certified in 3A and 3B
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-30-2013, 08:05 PM
bubbadog1 bubbadog1 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: columbus ohio
Posts: 10
Thanks for the help guys. I kept pumping until I finally noticed grease coming out the bottom of the spindle on the underside of the deck just above the blades. I cannot believe how much grease each spindle holds! I probably used 11/2 - 2 tubes for the three spindles. I am a little worried that the previous owner did not fully grease the spindles . The mower has 240 hrs of use and the rest of the mower looks very well maintained. I can see how someone could pump 5-6 squirts of grease on each spindle and think they are well greased. The owners manual does not give any indication how much is needed. I bet I pumped the grease gun 50-60 times each spindle! I have never had to use that much grease on any bearing before.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-30-2013, 10:05 PM
themadcutter themadcutter is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: florida
Posts: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbadog1 View Post
Thanks for the help guys. I kept pumping until I finally noticed grease coming out the bottom of the spindle on the underside of the deck just above the blades. I cannot believe how much grease each spindle holds! I probably used 11/2 - 2 tubes for the three spindles. I am a little worried that the previous owner did not fully grease the spindles . The mower has 240 hrs of use and the rest of the mower looks very well maintained. I can see how someone could pump 5-6 squirts of grease on each spindle and think they are well greased. The owners manual does not give any indication how much is needed. I bet I pumped the grease gun 50-60 times each spindle! I have never had to use that much grease on any bearing before.
Those spindles may have never had been full of grease. I think thats how much I had to put into my 2011 toro 6000 series brand new to load up the spindles

What happens is people buy mowers and believe the spindles were pre greased. not always the case. My shop doesn't fill them up with grease and doesn't really say anything about it other than to make sure you read the manual. the manual doesn't say to fill the spindles with grease so a lot of people just don't think about it. So people just squirt some in each week with out looking underneith and assume they have grease the spindles.

number of pumps probably depends on the gun but I put about 15 in each spindle 2 times a week with a cheep HF gun. !5 is about what it always seems to take to see the grease come out the bottom
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-31-2013, 11:41 AM
BigFish's Avatar
BigFish BigFish is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: chesapeake, va
Posts: 1,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbadog1 View Post
Thanks for the help guys. I kept pumping until I finally noticed grease coming out the bottom of the spindle on the underside of the deck just above the blades. I cannot believe how much grease each spindle holds! I probably used 11/2 - 2 tubes for the three spindles. I am a little worried that the previous owner did not fully grease the spindles . The mower has 240 hrs of use and the rest of the mower looks very well maintained. I can see how someone could pump 5-6 squirts of grease on each spindle and think they are well greased. The owners manual does not give any indication how much is needed. I bet I pumped the grease gun 50-60 times each spindle! I have never had to use that much grease on any bearing before.
Now that ya got the cavity full, you'll only need to add a couple of pumps each time ya grease em. Don't forget to grease the belt idler arm/s.

The sad thing is, the original selling dealer is supposed to grease/service the whole machine, including the spindles, before the customer takes delivery!
And ya wonder why "dealers" get such a poor rap!
__________________
" But let me tell you something ,folks: You can't fix stupid! There's not a pill you can take, there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever!"

......AMF!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-01-2013, 09:13 PM
Bumpmaster's Avatar
Bumpmaster Bumpmaster is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pittsburgh Pa
Posts: 11,561
If they are not hot I would only give em a dot.
__________________
Lawnman
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-01-2013, 09:25 PM
themadcutter themadcutter is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: florida
Posts: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
Now that ya got the cavity full, you'll only need to add a couple of pumps each time ya grease em. Don't forget to grease the belt idler arm/s.

The sad thing is, the original selling dealer is supposed to grease/service the whole machine, including the spindles, before the customer takes delivery!
And ya wonder why "dealers" get such a poor rap!

I know my dealer personally. and he didn't do it for me. I know figured he was supposed to but just doesn't.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-02-2013, 12:17 AM
herler herler is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,425
I would pump slow and watch that lower seal because I have also had it happen where the seal popped out and with all the grease that came out after it was a hell of a mess, but you do have to pump sometimes the whole tube, the good news is that after you are done it shouldn't take but a few pumps here and then.

At least you're taking care of it, apparently more than a few landscapers never do anything to their machines other than put gas in it but it's not entirely their fault... Most of us, when picking up a brand new machine from a dealer are told "She's READY to GO!"
And...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
The sad thing is, the original selling dealer is supposed to grease/service the whole machine, including the spindles, before the customer takes delivery!
And ya wonder why "dealers" get such a poor rap!
It has been my experience most dealers don't ever do much besides putting it together either.
Well, the new landscaper picks it up and figures "all the maintenance" has been done.
Is it their fault, when they assume that the way the machine comes from the dealer is the way it's supposed to be?

You should plan, if you ever buy a new machine, to go over the entire thing and make sure you have grease and a gun handy as one might be surprised how much grease a brand new machine straight from the dealer will take.

Last edited by herler; 11-02-2013 at 12:22 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:59 PM.

Page generated in 0.08059 seconds with 9 queries