Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-31-2013, 08:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Do your Sagos look like this?

Interesting read if your looking for a cure. http://www.ktrh.com/pages/gardenline...-12-06.htm#top
Attached Images

Old 10-31-2013, 11:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

i have a customer with 2 that are pretty bad...i told them to scrap em...they are small and not worth the headache.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-31-2013, 11:52 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Gardener View Post
i have a customer with 2 that are pretty bad...i told them to scrap em...they are small and not worth the headache.
Posted via Mobile Device
Actually can be treated. First use a high pressure spray tip and remove all of the Scale from the top and bottom of the fronds including the trunk. Apply Malathion Oil spray with water. repeat every 10 days to Two weeks until control of scale is achieved.
easy-lift guy
Old 10-31-2013, 12:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That must be an old publication you linked to. No dimethoate in residential areas. Farms and nurseries only with a 14 day REI. Not saying that I agree with that. In another time, I would apply dimethoate in residential areas, including to ornamentals around my house. I am still alive and my customers are still alive.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 10-31-2013, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

That pretty much looks like 2/3 of the Sagos in this area. I Local Ace hardwares have a Malathion/Oil in one bottle. I've got a customer who uses it just a few times a year and hers stay perfect.

Anyone tried Safari for cycad scale?
Old 10-31-2013, 05:08 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
That pretty much looks like 2/3 of the Sagos in this area. I Local Ace hardwares have a Malathion/Oil in one bottle. I've got a customer who uses it just a few times a year and hers stay perfect.

I have never tried Safari. The key is to remove all of the scale, treat with malathion oil spray, as stated earlier.If not the problem becomes chronic and other problems arise as well.
easy-lift guy
Old 10-31-2013, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post

Safari works well for cycad scale, foliar spray is locally systemic and translaminar and a root drench works well too, quick uptake.

Greendoc, Maruyama came in today, man that thing is big! Gonna be heavy full but I trust like you said without pumping like crazy walking is easier.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Big, heavy? That thing is designed to be carried by the rice farmer's wives. Most of them are not 6 foot tall and former members of the shot put team either. I am actually less tired at the end of the day using that rather than unrolling hose. Only reason why I would run the skid sprayer is to apply a 5 or 10 gallon mix to more than 2000 sq ft. 20 years ago, I remember spraying miles of hibiscus hedge. The sprayer I used back then was a Chapin 5 gallon stainless steel and brass backpack. Empty, it was about 20 lbs. I did that because the brass pump could take the pressure I wanted. I have blown plastic pumps trying to get enough spraying pressure out of them. I had 2 ceramic disc core nozzles mounted on a swivel to treat for mites. Now that was heavy, combined with the force needed to generate 50 psi. Every time you pump, that pushes down on the carrying straps. An engine drive backpack is well padded and it gets light very quickly when it is moving 1.8 GPM.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 11-01-2013, 07:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Safari drench has worked for me.
In regards to backpack, I changed the straps to the type on a hikers backpack. The weight is on your hips rather than your shoulders.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:19 PM
LawnSite Member

I apply Safari all the time as a drench and it works great.