Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-31-2013, 12:07 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Check which motor it has. Lots of the lo pros came with 444s instead of 466s. But its still probably better than a gasser
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-31-2013, 12:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I feel the best truck for both companies would be a dump in the size I posted. I'm going check out the 02' GMC C6500 this weekend. I've got my eye on a 24' pintle trailer to haul my tractor and Skidsteer together.

I've got a guy interested in my dump trailer, so I gotta wait for it to sell before I make an offer on a truck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-31-2013, 01:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrayzKajun View Post
I feel the best truck for both companies would be a dump in the size I posted. I'm going check out the 02' GMC C6500 this weekend. I've got my eye on a 24' pintle trailer to haul my tractor and Skidsteer together.

I've got a guy interested in my dump trailer, so I gotta wait for it to sell before I make an offer on a truck.
Posted via Mobile Device
How do you figure? All those little dump trucks are good for is pulling trailers. You cant put pallets of mulch, plant material, or anything but bulk in the back. Youll hardly get any brush in it. Cant chip into it.

You'd be using a trailer more than you do now
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-31-2013, 04:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The best way I can explain a roll off is like this and people who don't have one or haven't before wont understand- a roll off is like a Swiss Army knife or a bobcat. You can add so many different bodies to it which in turn can take the place of many different trucks. I can't even explain how many times I see our roll off gettin used for so many different things and I just smile. I smile because it is consistently making us and saving us money , and it is making the way we work so much simpler.

Also the amount of wear and tear it has saved is on our trailer is huge . A dump truck is a great tool and has its place - carrying large amount of soil or material. Start moving demolition debris, demo concrete, brush , machines, pallets, etc and a roll off really shines . All while at the same time being able to carry large amounts of dirt and material
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-31-2013, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
How do you figure? All those little dump trucks are good for is pulling trailers. You cant put pallets of mulch, plant material, or anything but bulk in the back. Youll hardly get any brush in it. Cant chip into it.

You'd be using a trailer more than you do now
Posted via Mobile Device
Could not agree more.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You could put a dumpster door conversion on it and do pallets that way. That tailgate will be HEAVY and hard to put up and down by yourself. Especially with that paving chute/lip on it. Probably won't let the door fold down all the way
Old 10-31-2013, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a truck like the one's you're looking at, and i would not recomend getting one. Look for a flatbed or contractor box if you're getting a dump in a single axle. If you were closer i would give you a good deal on a 94 Kodiack with 24k original miles.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Krazy I used to drive a gas Ford dump the size you're looking at. It was ok for hauling dirt but anything else it wasn't all that great. It wasn't great at pulling a trailer (20K ish), stumps and brush were always a hangup, nothing like chainsawing out a stump. Forget pallets and drove like crap. I forgot the hydraulic brakes sucked, needs air brakes. Hook lift is the way to go, I wish I had enough landscape work to get one myself.

You're a jack of all trades and you need a truck that is too.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

If you just have to have a dump this is a better fit http://knoxville.craigslist.org/ctd/4158666263.html
Old 11-01-2013, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

True that. These little beds suck unless you're only hauling broken concrete or something heavy. My old trucks had 17 and 14' beds and it was awesome for trees, or mulch in back, topsoil in front etc. my truck now is 12' and I'm always running out of room