Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-30-2013, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Looking For Opinions and Advice about Bad Boy Stander 48"

Helo I am looking for some opinions and advice on buying a bad boy stander 48" deck , I currently have a Outlaw XP 72 and it was a good value for the price , the stander I am a little concerned with because it only has the electric deck lift and no back up manual deck lift. I already demoed one over the summer but because I have never ran standers it felt weird to me and I was not able to fairly gauge its ability's , when I tried to walk behind it it seemed to want to spin because no weight on the platform etc but again could be rookie operator fault , looking for people who have actually used the products to chime in with opinions and advice. Also any info on cut quality etc or pics of the machine in action would be helpful as well. Thanks.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Never heard anybody talk about them on lawn site, that can't be good.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Yea I know that has me kinda worried to , but there is a just a couple of good dealers around , and the Bad Boy / Cub Cadet guy is pretty good dealer , the other option is john deer but repairs take forever , they are a by the book dealer and sometimes its annoying dealing with a large dealership type atmosphere , plus the deer standers do not have a fold up platform for walk behind ability so , but if anyone has used these standers let me know , or if anyone knows of other options in my area let me know.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Any Exmark dealers around you? A local LCO has had great experiences with the Exmark Vantage. To be honest I would go with a Wright, Exmark, or JD stander before a Bad Boy, just due to the fact that I have never even heard of a stander from them.
Not to say that just because you haven't heard of something doesnt mean its good, but it's hard to form an opinion on it.

Edit: Just took a look at a video from the GIE expo. They look to be a decent machine, however still can't really add to how they perform. I'd still weigh the options with another brand.

Last edited by SchannaultROLC; 10-31-2013 at 07:52 AM.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Yes there is a guy that's a exmark dealer but its like an extension of a larger dealership and he does not have anything there just a few mowers no advantage , I even stopped earlier this year I wanted a exmark 30 push and tald him that and he was suppose to call me back and never did , I stopped in about 3 weeks ago still no 30 and still no standers , just a few zero turns , so I kinda marked them off my options list cause I really don't want to have to mess with a dealership like that. Same with John deer to some degree they have yet to get a stander on the floor for me to look at , and I purchased a WH52 A walk behind from them last year so I am not a new customer , but they bad boy dealer I asked about them couple weeks later had the 52 demo there told me to take it for a weekend and let him know what I thought , and I have purchased a 72 XP and a Tank M60 from him and he keeps them running couple days and I got my stuff back , so ?????? I wish I had more options.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well, here's what I'm thinking. You have three options.
1) The Exmark would more than likely be the better stander. But the trade off is awful dealer support. So, you have them order a stander, try it, buy it, and move on. However, come time for work, which hopefully you might be able to do most of all except for warranty/major repair, the dealer is going to be a pain.
2) Tell JD that you are interested in demoing a stander. More than likely they will order one for you. My dealer stocks no Exmark standers, yet if you want to demo it they'll order one. Then go from there.
3) Which this honestly sounds like your best option. Go to your dealer that you have a relationship with, and demo the Bad Boy for yourself. It comes with a warranty, and if you get a defective machine you'll know within the first 75 hours. From what I've seen it looks to be a good machine.

If you like Bad Boy and that's what works for you, go for it. I'm actually going to be in the market for a little 36" stander next year and I'm more than likely going with Exmark. However I bought a Bob-Cat 61" ZTR this year and I love it. I wish they made a stander because I'd like to have my rig all the same brand, but that's what happens. It's all preference really. What one person says about a mower and what someone else does is completely different and subjective. It's almost like asking which is better, Ford, Chevy, or Dodge.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Over the years I have been schooled by my customers. I sell customer service, I happen to be a bad boy dealer too, but in the past 7 years I have slowly watched all dealers here give up selling mowers. I am the only physical dealer left in a town of 30000 people besides john deere and Kubota selling only their brands. Its spreading into other towns now, a good dealer in Hugo shut the doors this year, and I sent him a lot of biz from here on other brands. I have picked up a few other brands that I liked along the way, but the first 6 years I was pretty much all Bad Boy. I had guys come in and said "I've never heard of bad boy before, but we have heard about you....show us what we need to get from you". While picking up the other brands helped build my dealership and have more eggs in my basket, I was already one of the most successful dealership stories ever told as far as mowers go. I have been told that they would've bought worldlawn or poulan pro from me as long as I kept them going. But believe it or not, bad boy is dominating here now, aside from a few customers everyone loves them, and they are holding up really well.
On the stander, nothing is built as heavy duty in the market period, its actually comical how much is in the build. To me its slow compared to the competition. It has 3400's, but bad boy turned them down in speed due to some complaints of being to fast and the controls very touchy. First one I loved, second not so much as it was crawling in comparison. with a few adjustments you can speed it up, other than that should be an awesome mower for you. For $5499 to $6499 (not only that bad boy has a fleet program of 5 units or more in one purchase that's crazy priced....), if I had a stander market at all I would sell the fire out of them. I sold one of the first 48" decks in the stander and noticed it was leaving some stragglers at higher settings, but I know they tweaked the deck baffling since. I put gator g6's on it and customer was happy. I used the new 48 on czt and cut was really smooth which is the same as stander now, 54 has always been a good cutter... As far as complaints on bb in general was idler pullies, even though they are just $20, and the plastic ones on $3k range mz which were $15 (I upgrade them to a metal one when they go out and they are good to go). I was asking for heavier duty bearings for more cash, wish was answered, I believe all units built after Nov 1st will have the new idlers which are still only $26 I believe....
I mowed on the scag, wright zk, great dane, and then I got to mow with the new Gravely at the dealer meeting (which I loved, especially the little 36"), but they are premium priced at $7000 to $9000 in the promo price range (fleet gets you down there mid $6k to upper $7k)

13 Gravely 460 60" 31hp
13 BB AOS 35hp 4 cylinder Cat 72"
13 BB XP 31hp Kawasaki 61", 13' 36hp 61 xp
2013 Grasshopper 325D 61" 4x rear discharge w/suspension forks !Awesome!
13 GH 725D Rear Discharge 61" 13' 430D 72"
07 Bad Boy Lightning 52 inch with 26hp LC Kawasaki (just hit 3000 hours and going strong after rolling down the road and totaling out at 22 hours!)
2012 Dodge 2500 Diesel 4x4 Custom!
08 Chevy 1500 v8 Shop dog
"Mow With an Attitude"
Old 10-31-2013, 12:06 PM
LawnSite Member

How is the walk behind capability of the 48" bad boy stander??
Old 10-31-2013, 02:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by THORNTON SERVICES LLC View Post
How is the walk behind capability of the 48" bad boy stander??
From what I understand they all suck because there's no weight over the drive tires. Most people flip them up for trailer room
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-31-2013, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
From what I understand they all suck because there's no weight over the drive tires. Most people flip them up for trailer room
Posted via Mobile Device
I have never walked behind one, but I dont see why you couldnt add weight to any of them if they sucked that way...
Posted via Mobile Device