Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerepairdotcom View Post
Jeff in AL This is not Jerry Springer Can't you contribute/correct someone without trying to make people look small?

You are right about the br 600 and timing not being important, but isn't there a way to convey that info without making people want to projectile vomit?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerepairdotcom View Post
You 3 should really start a gang you`d run the crips out of town.

JJDIDTIEBUCKLE Look it up Especially the T.
Seriously???

Pipe down there peanut, you just might learn something new here from us fellow shadetree mechanics and one "professional" mechanic!

Where are the moderators to delete these USELESS replys that some seem to continue to post that have no information contained?

How very observant of you there captain obvious.

The amount of FREE information that you receive here will be directly proportional to the amount of information that you provide!
Old 10-31-2013, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowerMedic77 View Post
So glad to be back and making new friends... well all my homework is done and I'm ready for class. After 6 days and 5 pages of posts "helping/guessing" at the OPs issue and not hearing "my blower runs" my first post which to this point still hasn't been answered was simple order of diagnosing this issue. He tore down a unit with no compression and found his valves, head, and piston covered in carbon(common problem with this blower) he reassembled and now no spark (supposedly) 2nd coil still no spark(as stated before doubtful) in 5+ years of working on this blower I've replaced 2 BR600 coils both of which were damaged by customer error not faulty. If we were talking about the clear top coil marked 4180 400 1308A that comes on multiple fc fs hl ht Sthil units then I'm game. I have changed 20 or more in the last few months and have a warranty box full of them. If I'm going to diagnose a unit I'm going to start @ step 1 not step 4. What good will a new coil and flywheel be with timing off? How does the incoming signal on the digital coil with circuit board and micro processor that control spark, advance, and the built in Rev limiter to ******/govern spark all work? Remember this is a digital coil not analog. ..Quality signal in quality signal out...

You know what I'm sorry OP and readers of this post I'm wrong your right! Happy now....? Sorry I was trying to help diagnose a problem based of training and experience not guessing and parts changing. Well lunch is over and got a lot of work here in the shop to do. Good luck and hope your issue is solved/guessed soon, must be nice working under a shade tree....
OP feel free to PM me if you want some help I'm done posting on here should have just stayed working my mistake.....

Posted via Mobile Device
MowerMedic77,

Welcome back!

Let's back up a step here...
The "incoming signal" to the ignition coil would begin with the flywheel... Being that the ignition coil is fixed in place, and the flywheel actually spins to trigger the ignition coil, what does cam timing have to do with it? The ignition coil has NO idea and could careless about a piston, valves ect... It only takes orders from the flywheel...

One day I hope to maybe goto school on this stuff and learn all about it, then be a professional mechanic and who knows, maybe even own my own shop... A boy can dream...

The amount of FREE information that you receive here will be directly proportional to the amount of information that you provide!
Old 10-31-2013, 03:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think what MM means, as I do. There isn't a thing wrong with it producing spark.
The reason it won't start is a timing issue and probably has enough spark to knock
you on you're butt. Just a misdiagnosis. It makes no sense.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in AL View Post
MowerMedic77,

Welcome back!

;

One day I hope to maybe goto school on this stuff and learn all about it, then be a professional mechanic and who knows, maybe even own my own shop... A boy can dream...
I had that dream...and lived it for 10 years...it looked better in the brochure.....
Id have traded it for a rich old lady that could cook....and didn't snore....or fart in her sleep..
Keep dreamin the dream....
Old 10-31-2013, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

See that Ricky he's a smart one, he gets it...
I was trying not to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person but here we go....
Thank you shade tree Jeff for your warm albeit insincere welcome. I think further education for you is a great idea! Start with that GED and move onto some community college. Pickup a Popular Mechanics mag and find that card in the back for an online small engine class, who knows you might be able to get a job at a golf course or I know a go-kart track! I think that is just your speed tune-ups, oil changes and tire inflation. I say this because I doubt your ready for the pace and volume required to work in a real shop that would require you to diagnose and repair 10-12 pieces of equipment daily not just guess and throw parts at it praying every time you pull the rope "please start this time" I also doubt any busy dealer with well trained and highly payed techs will be happy having them stopping to hold your hand all day.
I know I will be ready for the next faze of digital ignition electronic fuel managed[Oh yeah that's coming] emission compliant 2cycle and 4 mix equipment... will you?
I have an idea.... maybe pop a squat under the old shade tree and wait for it to bare some knowledge fruit. Then when it ripens drops and bonks ya on the head... maybe then you will be ready.... but I doubt it....
OP your in good hands with shade tree Jeff helping you, hopefully he can get ya back up and running before next summer or you run out of money!
Thanks everyone this was fun but I got real life issues to take care of so until the next time I got nothing else going on.... see ya
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-01-2013, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJC View Post
I have a BR600 that has no spark, just bought a new ignition coil and still no spark. I tried different airgaps from .008 up to .014 and nothing changed. The micro switch in the handle ohmed out good so I know it isnt that.
I tried it with an adjustable spark tester also. I recently disassembled the whole blower and was using an impact gun to get the fan off the other end of the crankshaft, and I'm wondering if the shock may have damaged something inside the Ignition flywheel. Is there more than just magnets in the flywheel? Thanks for any help.
Quote:
It absolutely has no spark. I've already checked it with kill wires off and had no spark. I'm completely baffled, unless the new coil is bad also.
Quote:
Went back to the dealer today and exchanged the coil. Installed at .010" airgap and still no spark. So I just ordered a new flywheel/rotor, because its the only other component involved. If that does'nt fix it then that means the dealer has a whole batch of bad coils, or theres been a polar shift in the world and we're all gonna die soon!
Quote:
Both new coils that I got were the solid black potting material.
As for the sheared key, that in no way would prevent it from producing a spark. The timing might be a few degrees off, but you would still have a normal looking spark. I simply have no spark at all.
Quote:
The reason for working on this blower is that it quit running about 2 months ago, and when I tried to restart it, I could feel that it had no compression. I first checked the valve clearances, which were good so I figured there is a hole in the piston or a broken valve.
I was taking the fan off so I could get the engine off. When I was trying to get the nut off, I was holding the fan not knowing that it was attached to the fan. I was using penetrating oil and trying over and over to get the fan off. Then I found that I had a metric tap that would work as a piston stop, the fan/nut came right off. But I feel that repeatedly trying to get it off with the impact gun must have damaged the flywheel internally.
When I got the engine apart, what I found was a lot of carbon build up around the exhaust valve, port and on top of the piston. I cleaned everything up and put it back together, has compression now but no spark.
Waiting for flywheel to show up and then will post results. Hopefully will arrive this week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky86 View Post
I think what MM means, as I do. There isn't a thing wrong with it producing spark.
The reason it won't start is a timing issue and probably has enough spark to knock
you on you're butt. Just a misdiagnosis. It makes no sense.
Ohh, I must have misunderstood the OP then... See, I thought the OP stated several times that he had NO SPARK... IF it was "producing" spark I would think the OP would have said "I have a BR600 that has spark, but won't start", no?

Old 11-01-2013, 12:58 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Them sparks can be illusive...try another sparkplug.....or another mechanic..
Old 11-01-2013, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

OK guys here we go. Got the new flywheel today, first thing I did was hold a screwdriver upto the magnets of the old flywheel and the new one. The magnets in the new one were atleast 5 times stronger then the old one. Installed the flywheel and checked for spark, nice blue spark. Now I know that the manual says to use the ZAT 4 tester, but I dont have one. Installed spark plug and fired right up. It runs like it did when it was new, in the process of putting it all back together, I found that the throttle was only opening maybe 2/3 for god knows how long, because since I've owned it I never checked throttle opening. Thanks to all who replied.
Wright Sentar Sport 52/19
Custom built bagging system
Lesco 36/13 WB
Billygoat 18hp truckloader
Bluebird plugger
Lesco split drive plugger
Lesco stainless steel spreader
Stihl BR600
Echo PB-620
assortment of chainsaws,weedeaters,hedge trimmers,sprayers and such
Old 11-01-2013, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well WJC, I don't think anyone will use an impact gun to remove the fanwheel.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky86 View Post
Well WJC, I don't think anyone will use an impact gun to remove the fanwheel.
I know I sure wont!
Wright Sentar Sport 52/19
Custom built bagging system
Lesco 36/13 WB
Billygoat 18hp truckloader
Bluebird plugger
Lesco split drive plugger
Lesco stainless steel spreader
Stihl BR600
Echo PB-620
assortment of chainsaws,weedeaters,hedge trimmers,sprayers and such
Closed Thread