Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
View Poll Results: What do you do with your clippings?
Bag, dump on site 17 9.14%
Bag, Haul away 69 37.10%
Mulch 58 31.18%
Discharge 79 42.47%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-14-2013, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Funny. Was thinking this was a new thread but it's almost 3 years old. Then I saw my old post.

This last year I've reduced bagging by 40-60%. The only time I bag my own lawn is the first low mow cutting of the season.

The key on reduced bagging is you need to be in control of the fert program. Fast release synthetic fert is a huge no no once Spring is well underway. Go with a slow release product or better yet a organic based bridge product.

Since I'm a recovering perfectionist I typically double cut most of my lawns... bagging or not.

Here in the land of Walker Mowers and huge grass pile in the front of trailers or truck bed. I refuse to go Walker.

The other key is over watering of lawns which is epidemic here.

When I'm stuck bagging I use 6' x 6' burlap squares and toss in back of truck bed.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-15-2013, 08:36 AM
LawnSite Member

I mulch about half of the clipping but I tend to put around most of my clients gardens. This helps with weed control and creating better OM (Organic Matter) for their gardens in the future. I only do this in early Spring for several of my clients as not everyone has gardens. So only about 1/8 of the clippings go to this and the rest that is not mulched go into wooded areas as the grass clippings work as food for most of the wooded areas.

If the client does not want it bagged i mulch it up right there on their lawns. Starting to get more clients wanting that. I can see MORE of my clients wanting that this year because of our great storm Sandy.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

discharge only with oregon g6 blades which is basically the same thing as mulching but you are able to do it when the grass is taller/thicker without the mower bogging down or clippings clumping up under the deck making a mess.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepatsfan View Post
I know the 1/3 rule. If I was able to do that or something close I would mulch. Believe me, I would rather not bag. Its a pita. It is pretty much industry standard here that you have to bag. The guys with a pick up truck and trailer might let it fly...but it looks like crap and you definitely notice when you drive by. Most of the year on a nice lawn...it is 5-6 inches when I go to cut it(sometimes higher)AFTER ONE WEEK OF GROWTH. It would be impossible for me to let that fly, believe me I have tried. Then like the other guy said, with the dew in the morning and occasional rain and wet grass to mow. You would understand if you cut up here. Like I said if I cut 2 or 3 times a week, we could easily mulch. I haven't met a person yet who wants me to cut their lawn that much though. Therefore....bagging it is. we cut at about 3.25 inches. Most guys cut right at 3. some at 2 1/2 and some at 3 1/2. I am on the high side and have had quite a few people ask me to cut the lawn shorter. I do not adjust my cut heights, mainly because a I only have a two mowers with quick adjust. Just the way it is. I also have a $40 minimum per lawn.
i understand this because i'm from ct, and i have convinced a few of my customers that from april-june their lawns grow so quickly they need to be cut 2x per week and they allow it, and my schedule allows it so i do. it really makes things go smoothly for me. if don't cut them twice a week then i have to go over almost the whole lawn 2 or 3 times and i don't get paid for that. cutting them 2x a week i go over them once each time and get paid. or i could bag them both and it would take a lot more time, but i hate bagging, in fact my bagger system will be coming off once spring clean ups are done, and i will bag a lawn if a customer requests it but it will come at a high price because it literally takes 2x as long if not more to bag a bigger yard.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

With new customers, if the grass is really high when i cut it for the first time, i highly suggest to them that i bag it, so that the clumps of grass dont kill the grass. bagging charge and disposal fee incur, though.
-Grasshopper front mount 61", gravely 52"
-36" Gravely Walkbehind, 21" exmark push mower
-Stihl everything
Old 03-29-2013, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Let it fly!!

"There is no such thing as failure. There are only results." – Tony Robbins

Enough Said...
Old 03-31-2013, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Try to stay away from bagging at all. It naturally fertilizes a yard if u don't bag. I would do your pre merg fertilizer in early spring and nothing elts till after spring as it grows twice a fast no bagging double fertilizer really works great
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-31-2013, 04:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Most of the time we mulch. The main mowering is a with a ransomes parkway which leaves an amazing finish. We use a Amazon profihopper when collecting (it can also mulch) I bought it for collecting long grass. Another great collector ishttp://www.gianniferrari.com/Apps/WebObjects/GianniFerrari.woa/wa/viewProductsFamily?id=277&lang=eng
Old 11-22-2013, 02:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I side discharge on regular accounts. If the grass is super tall ill bag it on the first cut.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-07-2013, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Member

we mulch every job.