Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-02-2013, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersman02 View Post
Efficiency. After going out the last few weeks it's more toward the $70 range. Some much more, some little les s. Efficiency is why you buy a 60" ztr, a leaf loader, dump truck, backpack blower etc. Say you charge 50 per mh for a 10k mower. Should you charge the same hourly for one with a 2k bagger, 3k leaf loader, dump truck, $600 blower? Heck no.
Posted via Mobile Device
I see the more elaborate your set up, get compensated for it correct. I just picked up a bagger unit for my mower, tomorrow I will be going to get gator blades I believe adding these two tools to the line up will help a great deal. I have a big yard I'm going to try it out on.

44' Toro Prolline
36' Cub Cadet
Redmax EBZ 8000
Shindaiwa C2510
Tarps up the wazo
wheelbarrow
Mulch Shovel
Rakes ect

Wishlist: 2005 Silverado 2500 HD
BOSS 7'6" POWER-V STEEL BLADE
2Stage Snow Blower (I have to think of a loading system because these things are HEAVY)

~Entrepreneurship has provided me with a avenue to make money when corporate America hasn't.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG26 View Post
I see the more elaborate your set up, get compensated for it correct. I just picked up a bagger unit for my mower, tomorrow I will be going to get gator blades I believe adding these two tools to the line up will help a great deal. I have a big yard I'm going to try it out on.
no. Not really
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-03-2013, 07:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike NY View Post
You should be charging for your services. If it takes you longer, Bill for your efforts.
This is why this whole industry is failing. Customers are not paying for what the services are really worth.
It is truly OK to make a profit, otherwise dont do the extra service.
I love the fall, one of the most profitable times of the year for me.
Good point. I'm still mowing some lawns for what my Dad did in the early nineties. It's getting better but its a slow process.
1978 F-350 Dump Truck
1988 Z-71 Chevy 4x4 Meyers Plow
2005 Chevy HD 2500 6.0
1989 Toyota One ton Flatbed
2013 61" Bad Boy Outlaw XP 36 Vanguard
2013 54" Bad Boy Outlaw Stander Kawasaki
2014 48" Wright Walk Behind
Old 11-03-2013, 07:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Haven't you heard of the pallet idea? Stick a pallet standing up hooked to Chain. When ready to dump hook chain to tree and drive forward
Posted via Mobile Device
This absolutely works. I do it all the time when I don't want to use my dump truck.
1978 F-350 Dump Truck
1988 Z-71 Chevy 4x4 Meyers Plow
2005 Chevy HD 2500 6.0
1989 Toyota One ton Flatbed
2013 61" Bad Boy Outlaw XP 36 Vanguard
2013 54" Bad Boy Outlaw Stander Kawasaki
2014 48" Wright Walk Behind
Old 11-03-2013, 05:20 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
You should be charging for your services. If it takes you longer, Bill for your efforts.
This is why this whole industry is failing. Customers are not paying for what the services are really worth.
One can not bill 8 hours to do a 4 hour job because you do not have the right equipment.

Because a 60" mower can do 2 acre in 1 hour does not mean the job is worth 4 hours because you use a 20' pusher.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Quote:
Hit it on the head.

You should be getting paid for the extra time spent. Fall cleanups we bill out $80-$100 / man hour compared to 50/mh for mowing. Why? $3000 leaf loader, dump truck, triple the gas, tons more work. etc etc.

No the both of you only hit your thumb with the hammer.

You are right to charge what you charge because you have the expenses that must be covered. The person you quoted does not have your expensive leaf clean up equipment and can not match your productivity.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallstripesnc View Post
A lot of customers I've dealt with in my area don't want the leaves mulched with a mower. They want them completely up from their lawn. The option of mulching them up is out of the question. A lot of people won't even let a mower touch their property. They want them blown and completely taken away.
Where I am a lawn can still need mowing till the last week of October. The few leaves that fall down will be mulched with no problem. You will see some leaf bits when you are done. Thing is when you come back next week they will not be visible.

Then starting the first week in November when the leaves fall to heavy to just mulch I start weekly leaf clean ups. And my customers do not want to see a lawn of mulched leaves either.

Then best to use a mower with bagger and or a lawn vacuum system.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post

Then starting the first week in November when the leaves fall to(too) heavy to just mulch(,) I start weekly leaf clean ups. And my customers do not want to see a lawn of mulched leaves either.

Then best to use a mower with bagger and or a lawn vacuum system.
And I'll bet you just give them the additional service free of charge in November even though it requires more resources, because you are a nice guy, or a fool!
Im surely not going to give away free labor and machine time. That is the quickest way to go out of business.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
And I'll bet you just give them the additional service free of charge in November even though it requires more resources, because you are a nice guy, or a fool!
Im surely not going to give away free labor and machine time. That is the quickest way to go out of business.
I never said to not charge. Never said to work for free.

I did say because one does not have the right equipment one can not charge 4 hours for a job that will take someone with the right equipment 1 hour.

Example a $100 job is not a $400 job because ones equipment is not up to the task. You need the work. You have the time. You take the job and save till you get the right equipment. Or you pass on it.

Would you pay for the extra time to have tires installed when instead of the shop using a lift, tire machine, impact gun they did not have them so they used a lug wrench, floor jack lifting one wheel at a time, no tire machine to break the bead, and removed the old tire from the wheel and installed the new tire on the wheel by hand using tire irons?