Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-07-2003, 03:16 AM
LawnSite Member

oil fouled air cleaner

Hi guys, new to this forum and having a problem. I have a 18 hp kawasaki on a JD 325 and there is oil coming from the crank case vent, running down the airfilter and soaking it. I had the problem when it was new, took it to JD and they changed the tube and cleaner housing. Checked it 20 hrs later and still the same thing. I called kawasaki and they had a problem and said John Deere fixed it right and didn't offer any other advice. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-07-2003, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: JC, had the same problem with my 17hp kawi on my lazer, after battling with kawi for months about the problem they sent an updated air filter case,(what the filter sits in) and seems to have cured the problem, that was 2 seasons ago, no more kawis for me to many problems getting problemsfixed and getting answers to ?'s and getting their support. tony
Old 08-07-2003, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Member

What is the difference in the two, My dealer put on a new housing and vent tube. I don't see what the new one will do differently it just has a hole in it for the vent to slide into. It still drops oil onto the aircleaner. Did they do anything else to yours. I think this will be my last kawi.
Old 09-10-2003, 07:23 AM
LawnSite Member

Oil fouled air filter

I had a similar problem with a 17 hp Kawasaki the first year I had it. I was not sure if it was caused by tilting the mower to remove the blades, faulty motor or what? Through trial and error and several oil changes, I found that I was over filling the oil. I had been checking the oil level as prescribed in the owners manual, with the dip stick resting on the filler tube. Not screwed in and bottomed out. Either way, I was over filling by no more than 2 tbs. or so.

I found that by servicing the oil to a level just shy of the "operational range" it prevented oil from soaking the air filter and pre-cleaner. Hundreds of hours on motor without presence of oil in filter housing, filter or pre-filter.
Old 09-14-2003, 02:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

is it overfilled with oil?
20' landscape trailer - 6.5x12 landscape trailer
5x10 utility trailer
3- 60" lazers, 1- 72" lazer 1- 36" W/B
15 shindaiwa handhelds, 3 echo saws
36" stihl chainsaw
2 fs100rx's, 2 br600 magnum FS94R, KM90
'92 long 2360/6'king kutter w/7.5x18 trailer

lawn sprinklers save your grass, fire sprinklers save your -----
Old 09-20-2003, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Member

sorry for the delay, have been out of town. I've called kawi, john deere and looked in the manual and everybody has given me different oil capacitys. I measured it out and put in the lower amt., it showed full on the stick. It has been at the dealership for about a month. took it in with 45 hrs and picked it up with 75 hrs. they said they don't know what the problem is and they are contacting kawi for more info. I told them I was taking it back with me because I'm getting behind. What really made me mad was when I picked it up he asked me how much oil I was loosing, I got it home and checked the oil and it was barely on the bottom of the stick.(they apparently didn't check) and 75HRS!!!! What else can you do? They said they knew it was a reaccuring warranty problem and if anything happens to the enging they said it will be covered even though it is out of warrty. I feel like locking the engine up on purpose.
Old 09-23-2003, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Member

that would be a large mistake JC