Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #21  
Old 11-04-2013, 10:56 PM
ksss's Avatar
ksss ksss is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Rigby, Idaho
Posts: 6,991
I think depending on the application, and ground conditions everyone has wheel/track packed at one time or another. However 20" of fill over a future home site, not me without covering myself one way or another.
__________________
See us at www.kaiserskidsteer.com

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-05-2013, 10:58 AM
AWJ Services AWJ Services is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Ga
Posts: 4,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksss View Post
I think depending on the application, and ground conditions everyone has wheel/track packed at one time or another. However 20" of fill over a future home site, not me without covering myself one way or another.
Excellent advice. Heavan forbid that the house is built and the foundation fails and liability is deferd to you. It is just not worth it in my experience. Cost can never be a deciding factor on bidding a job right or wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-05-2013, 11:08 AM
KrayzKajun's Avatar
KrayzKajun KrayzKajun is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Harvey,LA
Posts: 10,426
Im putting in the contract that the material will not be compacted to a certain rate. We are just filling in the lot so grass can grow. the owner wants to be able to cut the lot with a lawnmower.
__________________

Landscape Contractors
Louisiana Licensed: Landscape/Horticulturist, Commercial Ground Applicator, Arborist, Irrigation Contractor, Utility Arborist

Onsite Sandbagging, Palletized Sandbags & Bulk Totes, Emergency Response, Erosion & StormWater Barriers
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-05-2013, 01:23 PM
AEL's Avatar
AEL AEL is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,603
I would mention to the owner that if he does plan on ever building there that it should be proper full and properly compacted and to do that it will cost x amount of dollars.

Mabee in some areas you guys have crazy soils but I have never seen a tracked skid steer track pack to 95% spd. Packers are cheap to rent , don't risk it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-05-2013, 03:58 PM
Tizzy Tizzy is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 378
just put it in writing that you are only bringing the lot to grade and are not compacting the soil for engineered construction and make it very clear and then have the homeowner initial next to it stating he/she read that section and then sign the contract.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 11-05-2013, 04:21 PM
KrayzKajun's Avatar
KrayzKajun KrayzKajun is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Harvey,LA
Posts: 10,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tizzy View Post
just put it in writing that you are only bringing the lot to grade and are not compacting the soil for engineered construction and make it very clear and then have the homeowner initial next to it stating he/she read that section and then sign the contract.
This is what I plan on doing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11-05-2013, 04:27 PM
KrayzKajun's Avatar
KrayzKajun KrayzKajun is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Harvey,LA
Posts: 10,426
After figuring material at $180/load delivered (approx 18yds) I'm looking At Around $7k in just river sand/fill.

I willing to bet these people have no idea how much money they are looking At to fill this lot in. Hope they got a good deal on it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11-05-2013, 07:47 PM
AWJ Services AWJ Services is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Ga
Posts: 4,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEL View Post
I would mention to the owner that if he does plan on ever building there that it should be proper full and properly compacted and to do that it will cost x amount of dollars.

Mabee in some areas you guys have crazy soils but I have never seen a tracked skid steer track pack to 95% spd. Packers are cheap to rent , don't risk it.
Posted via Mobile Device
The soil has too have a high clay content and do it in 3 inch lifts with multiple trips back and forth over the fill. Takes alot of time. Realy better to get a packer unless it is a small area like a room addition.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 11-05-2013, 08:23 PM
AEL's Avatar
AEL AEL is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrayzKajun View Post
After figuring material at $180/load delivered (approx 18yds) I'm looking At Around $7k in just river sand/fill.

I willing to bet these people have no idea how much money they are looking At to fill this lot in. Hope they got a good deal on it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Its crazy how different things are across the country. Here I can get paid $30-80 per load to accept fill.
__________________
Sean

A.E.L

Land Clearing, Grinding services, Mulch Production, Excavating, Grading

Check out our new YouTube account!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWI...YEpKMXUcrB1jBw
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 11-05-2013, 08:51 PM
tbi tbi is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by excav8ter View Post
Give it a try sometime. You may be surprised. We don't do it that way all the time....but for a foot or so, it's usually not a problem. And yes, we have it tested for density.
Posted via Mobile Device
It would never happen here with crusher run limestone. If they saw us compacting with just skid steer tracks we'd be run off the job.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:30 PM.

Page generated in 0.07119 seconds with 9 queries