Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-04-2013, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think depending on the application, and ground conditions everyone has wheel/track packed at one time or another. However 20" of fill over a future home site, not me without covering myself one way or another.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksss View Post
I think depending on the application, and ground conditions everyone has wheel/track packed at one time or another. However 20" of fill over a future home site, not me without covering myself one way or another.
Excellent advice. Heavan forbid that the house is built and the foundation fails and liability is deferd to you. It is just not worth it in my experience. Cost can never be a deciding factor on bidding a job right or wrong.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Im putting in the contract that the material will not be compacted to a certain rate. We are just filling in the lot so grass can grow. the owner wants to be able to cut the lot with a lawnmower.

Landscape Contractors
Louisiana Licensed: Landscape/Horticulturist, Commercial Ground Applicator, Arborist, Irrigation Contractor, Utility Arborist

Onsite Sandbagging, Palletized Sandbags & Bulk Totes, Emergency Response, Erosion & StormWater Barriers
Old 11-05-2013, 01:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would mention to the owner that if he does plan on ever building there that it should be proper full and properly compacted and to do that it will cost x amount of dollars.

Mabee in some areas you guys have crazy soils but I have never seen a tracked skid steer track pack to 95% spd. Packers are cheap to rent , don't risk it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-05-2013, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

just put it in writing that you are only bringing the lot to grade and are not compacting the soil for engineered construction and make it very clear and then have the homeowner initial next to it stating he/she read that section and then sign the contract.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tizzy View Post
just put it in writing that you are only bringing the lot to grade and are not compacting the soil for engineered construction and make it very clear and then have the homeowner initial next to it stating he/she read that section and then sign the contract.
This is what I plan on doing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-05-2013, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

After figuring material at $180/load delivered (approx 18yds) I'm looking At Around $7k in just river sand/fill.

I willing to bet these people have no idea how much money they are looking At to fill this lot in. Hope they got a good deal on it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-05-2013, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEL View Post
I would mention to the owner that if he does plan on ever building there that it should be proper full and properly compacted and to do that it will cost x amount of dollars.

Mabee in some areas you guys have crazy soils but I have never seen a tracked skid steer track pack to 95% spd. Packers are cheap to rent , don't risk it.
Posted via Mobile Device
The soil has too have a high clay content and do it in 3 inch lifts with multiple trips back and forth over the fill. Takes alot of time. Realy better to get a packer unless it is a small area like a room addition.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrayzKajun View Post
After figuring material at $180/load delivered (approx 18yds) I'm looking At Around $7k in just river sand/fill.

I willing to bet these people have no idea how much money they are looking At to fill this lot in. Hope they got a good deal on it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Its crazy how different things are across the country. Here I can get paid $30-80 per load to accept fill.

A.E.L

Land Clearing, Grinding services, Mulch Production, Excavating, Grading

Check out our new YouTube account!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWI...YEpKMXUcrB1jBw
Old 11-05-2013, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by excav8ter View Post
Give it a try sometime. You may be surprised. We don't do it that way all the time....but for a foot or so, it's usually not a problem. And yes, we have it tested for density.
Posted via Mobile Device
It would never happen here with crusher run limestone. If they saw us compacting with just skid steer tracks we'd be run off the job.