Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 11-05-2013, 06:29 PM
DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: dennis ma.
Posts: 1,344
Be careful with combined gvw !
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-05-2013, 07:03 PM
kawakx125 kawakx125 is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: lees summit, mo
Posts: 900
I know they rate the trailer at like 9900lbs even with the 5200# axles. Should be ok right? Chances are if never overload the 7k even, but my thinking says that for example 4000 lbs on 10k axles will last longer than 4k lbs on 7k axles.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-05-2013, 07:26 PM
ducnut ducnut is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: central IL
Posts: 1,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawakx125 View Post
Right now I'm leaning towards the leafs and 5200 axles mainly due to the fact that it won't always be loaded perfectly.
Leafs are going to be worse, when you don't evenly load. Leafs only have a benefit for the yahoos who don't take the time to setup a trailer to pull level. If you setup your trailer level, torsion will be the better pull every time.

For a trailer that length, and it is pretty short for a tandem, the front torsion will give support to the tongue because you have two axles working independently, yet, together. If you load a couple hundred more in the nose one day versus another, that forward axle will better support it, because it's independently sprung from the rear axle. Whereas, the rocker on the leaf setup is going to let the tongue carry all that couple hundred pounds and evenly split the rest of the load between both axles. With a torsion, all you need to do is load it how you'll mostly run it and be sure it carries level. If tomorrow you throw things in there a little differently, it's a not a big deal. You mention leaving the front mostly empty, which means putting your mowers in the rear most of the time. You'll never have a problem. If you add a 3rd mower, just readjust the hitch, if the rear of the truck should sag beyond on inch or so. Trust me, you'll never regret torsion axles.

I used to pull a 14' V-nose with 3500lb torsion axles. I could completely raise the tongue jack and pivot the trailer around on the forward axle because it supported the front end. As I said, that front axle will better isolate uneven loads so your tow vehicle's hitch doesn't take all the brunt.

After thinking about 5200lb vs 3500lb, I think I'd just go with the 3500lb axles. Your two mowers probably weigh about what my big machine does and I run one 3500lb axle with zero issues. However, I would ask the dealer about upgrading to a "D" load range tire, if possible. I'm thinking the two 3500lb will ride nicer for your equipment.
__________________
1st Class Lawn Service

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
Husqvarna 580BTS blower
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-05-2013, 09:44 PM
kawakx125 kawakx125 is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: lees summit, mo
Posts: 900
I can pretty well upgrade whatever I want, h&h has a very comprehensive upgrade list. My main reason for 5200# axles is for the times I may need more. I don't forsee it happening often but there is always the possibility and the price difference is so negligible that I don't see why not to upgrade. Might help resale down the road also. I've managed just fine with a single 3500lb axle on an open trailer, but there's times I've needed alot more too. I'm still doing my homework on the whole deal you guys have given me some good input, keep it coming
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-05-2013, 09:49 PM
kawakx125 kawakx125 is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: lees summit, mo
Posts: 900
Also important to mention if we do get one, it'll also be pulled regularly with my wife's 1500 silverado. I have a 3/4 ton so I'm not concerned with too little truck for the times it is heavy. Another concern with the torsions is the cost when one fails.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-05-2013, 09:52 PM
ducnut ducnut is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: central IL
Posts: 1,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawakx125 View Post
Another concern with the torsions is the cost when one fails.
Let me ask the dealer I service, I've never seen a torsion failure in his shop.

Redneck trailer supply has online pricing, if you're curious only about price of the axle.
__________________
1st Class Lawn Service

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
Husqvarna 580BTS blower
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-05-2013, 10:47 PM
Duffster's Avatar
Duffster Duffster is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiselandscaping View Post
In Ohio, any trailer over 10,000# rated capacity requires a class A CDL, and any truck trailer combination over 26,001# requires a CDL as well.
You are wrong here on both counts.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Your argument falls flatter than a 3 day old roadkill squirrel.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-06-2013, 09:33 AM
kawakx125 kawakx125 is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: lees summit, mo
Posts: 900
I am also now considering Stealth trailers, namely a Liberty. they seem very on par with H&H as far as build quality. The only real differences are a 3/4 Rainblock (drymax) engineered floor and a 36'' door standard on 7' models
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-06-2013, 10:39 AM
ducnut ducnut is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: central IL
Posts: 1,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawakx125 View Post
I am also now considering Stealth trailers, namely a Liberty. they seem very on par with H&H as far as build quality. The only real differences are a 3/4 Rainblock (drymax) engineered floor and a 36'' door standard on 7' models
I don't see a spec chart on their construction.

They say tube mainframe, but, don't mention if the crossmembers are tube.

Those diamond-plate fenders will be a PITA to keep up, just like stoneguards. No big deal, just throwing that out there.
__________________
1st Class Lawn Service

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
Husqvarna 580BTS blower
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-06-2013, 11:10 AM
kawakx125 kawakx125 is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: lees summit, mo
Posts: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
I don't see a spec chart on their construction.

They say tube mainframe, but, don't mention if the crossmembers are tube.

Those diamond-plate fenders will be a PITA to keep up, just like stoneguards. No big deal, just throwing that out there.
http://petestrailersales.com/Stealth...r_Options.html

heres a list of options for stealth trailers, this place has more info than stealths website almost.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:25 AM.

Page generated in 0.07340 seconds with 9 queries