Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-02-2013, 03:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Multiple uses

I simply took an old 36" pull behind dethatcher apart & mounted it to the platform. If you've ever used this type you'll want to know how I plan to clean the tines out efficiently. I simply removed the 3 compression springs & hinged/strapped up the platform out of the way to reinstall the two outer springs with a large fender washer between the spring end & nut. This way when the platform/dethatcher hinge back down to the original flat level the tension pushes the bolt thru the front. Any thoughts on innovations is always appreciated
Attached Images

Old 11-03-2013, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hi Adam,

That looks great!!! Another great idea you've come up with!!!!

But when I dethatch I use my mower, since I can bag up the loose thatch.

But in the end, when I talk to the customer I explain the advantages of core aeration instead of dethatching. Very few yards have I've found where they need detaching up here in Northern IL.

Core Aerate in Spring and then Fall.....and the thatch problem will be gone (98.5% ) of the time.

But I do like your idea, I just won't know how to pick up the loose thatch/mess with out raking.
Attached Images

2011 John Deere Pro Gator 2020a
2011 Lawn Solution Dual Hyrdo Aerator 24"
2011 Echo Handheld (trimmers to power pruners)
2007 Big Tex 4ft metal high side 7' x 12' Trailer
2012 PJ 7' x 16' Dump Trailer
2014 Vintage 8.5' x 24' Enclosed Trailer
2012 Ecolawn Applicator model 200 Compost Spreader
Old 11-05-2013, 07:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick13 View Post
Hi Adam,

That looks great!!! Another great idea you've come up with!!!!

But when I dethatch I use my mower, since I can bag up the loose thatch.

But in the end, when I talk to the customer I explain the advantages of core aeration instead of dethatching. Very few yards have I've found where they need detaching up here in Northern IL.

Core Aerate in Spring and then Fall.....and the thatch problem will be gone (98.5% ) of the time.

But I do like your idea, I just won't know how to pick up the loose thatch/mess with out raking.
One big difference is that nothing rots in our Florida sand, rather it acts as a preserver of organic matter & builds up over a short period of time.
Yesterday we used it for our first dethatch of the season. I had a helper use it & I was on the Walker mower with the front-mount dethatcher & bagging it up. This combo works perfectly since she could get closer & into small spaces that I could not.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-05-2013, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Now Adam, all you need to do is come up with an add on kit....and sell it on the side. ExMark Stand on 30" De-thatcher Kit. It could lead into other things???

I think it's a good idea!!!!
2011 John Deere Pro Gator 2020a
2011 Lawn Solution Dual Hyrdo Aerator 24"
2011 Echo Handheld (trimmers to power pruners)
2007 Big Tex 4ft metal high side 7' x 12' Trailer
2012 PJ 7' x 16' Dump Trailer
2014 Vintage 8.5' x 24' Enclosed Trailer
2012 Ecolawn Applicator model 200 Compost Spreader
Old 11-05-2013, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick13 View Post
Now Adam, all you need to do is come up with an add on kit....and sell it on the side. ExMark Stand on 30" De-thatcher Kit. It could lead into other things???

I think it's a good idea!!!!
Thanks Rick for the encouragement. I might have a knack for innovation but when it comes to bringing a product to market that's where I run out of steam. It's a realization that I accepted about 10 years back.
I'll admit that i'm naturally reserved about sharing things openly like this just in case I might actually have a big hit on my hands but then I remember that I don't have any free-time to pursue anything further as it is & that's when I post the concept.
I'm struggling to make good choices wth trading penny stocks so I try and limit my distractions. I've really got a passion for this trend trading stuff.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-08-2013, 04:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The tub makes it a quick unload although it could stand to be a little bigger for a one dump & go empty.
Attached Images

Old 04-19-2014, 02:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Multiple uses

I've always wanted to break up the plugs & here's the absolute best way to do. I stand on it like a floating sulky & it works beautifully.
Attached Images

Old 04-19-2014, 02:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I love that idea so much that I may try to make one tomorrow. Do you put any kind of ribbing in it to disperse your weight?
Old 04-19-2014, 03:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nope, it's almost too simple really. Go with 36" wide & no longer than 28" or else it's like a dragon's tale out the back & gets into flowerbeds & curbing when you swing it around. I'm actually going to cut mine down from 36" today now that I have a breather. You may find the perfect size at Lowes/Tractor Supply ready to go. When you want to back into an area just step up on the platform & back up, it glides freely & the D snaps are rigid enough to keep it straight. The sheet lays flat on the trailer deck so storage is no problem, just drive right over it. I tried mounting a shop broom head underneath but when you back off the trailer or on too high of turf things bend/break,,etc.
Also, when you go from yard to yard just hold up the back since it easily hinges.
One thing I'm going to look at is a wide-mouth dustpan on the back of it so I can simply sweep the thatch heads into it with my feet or a small broom as I go.
You can go full speed since the tines aren't down but your forearms will tire almost immediately. Make sure everything is secure & don't snag anything that might cause your feet/body to remain while you do a face-plant into the unit or platform.
Hope this helps.- Adam

Last edited by adam.neusbaum; 04-19-2014 at 03:37 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Member

I own a LS stand on. From what I've seen, the "upgrades" on the Exmark are very minor. The machine worked well when David Cook owned LS. Too many people were on the bandwagon giving that company a hard time. Anyway, I'm glad he decided to give all of us a much better method to aerate. Ask yourself what the other companies had been doing for the past 20 years. Milking the cow with all of our (sore) backs.