Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-03-2013, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you think tennis balls fly far, try lacrosse balls. I shot a lacrosse ball about 200ft in the air hit the ground bounced off a tree and into a field. Probably would of gave a car a pretty good dent.

Doesn't matter what kind of equipment you run as long as you get the job done correctly and up to par.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

oh oh oh oh

i FINALLY did it. i splattered a piece of poo.

although it was a little less dramatic, a small piece bounced off my boot. now, the mushroom i hit after that. it splattered all over my face.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Tennis balls seem to get cut up and don't take the full force of the impact. But rubber dog toys, they don't break at all. The kennel we cut is suppose to clean up the toys, but they don't do a very good job. I have hti countless toys which have easily done a couple hundred feet.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

this thread has been going a long time so I'm not sure if I have posted this before.

I have hit all the usual stuff. only 2 stand out. An old dry town circular that went all the way from left to right and it seemed like every bit of it got chopped up. that was a mess.

And a good reason to always wear safety glasses when mowing.

Some one left a pair of needle nose pliers in a lawn. my mower shot them out, they hit my truck tire (about 4 feet away) as I was turning and then half the pliers hit me in the face right over my eye. it hit so hard the pliers put a deep gouge in the glasses and compressed the glasses right into my eye ball. it HURT.

Looking at the gouge in the glasses it was clear the half of a needle nose pliers would have been sticking out of my eye if I had not been wearing the glasses
Old 11-05-2013, 04:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Holy crap! Glad you wore your shields
Old 11-05-2013, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmore.Landscaping View Post
Tennis balls seem to get cut up and don't take the full force of the impact. But rubber dog toys, they don't break at all. The kennel we cut is suppose to clean up the toys, but they don't do a very good job. I have hti countless toys which have easily done a couple hundred feet.
Kong chew toys will fly pretty good.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

A baby bird just learning to fly That made me very sad. Dang thing stuck its head up out of some taller grass about 10" in front of my zero and I couldn't stop in time. Call me soft hearted but if I see even a frog in front of me I'll wait till it passes or get off and move it with my foot to get it out of the way.
14x7 landscaping trailer
12x6 P&T hydro dump trailer w/leaf box
We run Gravely ZTRs, Honda 21"s, Kawasaki trimmers, Redmax Backpacks, LittleWonder loader
Old 11-05-2013, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snow4me View Post
My employee ran over a gas line going into a field stone patio fireplace two weeks ago. To make matters worse he ignored it and didn't report it to me.

I got a call an hour later from my frantic customer saying we ruptured a gas line and her yard smelled of gas. Luckily she called the gas company and they had someone nearby come over and shut it off before something worse could happen.

The first estimate she got was for $1,200 to take apart the stone and replace the broken pipe and then put the stone back in. I talked to my friend who is a pipe fitter and he told me it was way overbid. She talked to me this week and said she got another quote for $400.

How would you guys handle this situation with your employee. He's 20 Y.O. new to this business and I am in the process of training him to hopefully become a long term employee...
I had a new employee cost me $300 this year. A/C blower motor went out on my truck. He called me to let me know. I told him to check the fuse box to see if the fuse was blown. Called me back an hour later said now the truck was doing all kinds of weird electrical things, no speedometer, no lights, just all screwed up. I asked if he saw if the blower motor fuse was blown, he said no. Next day I took truck to the shop (dealer) and told them all the electrical stuff going on. Turns out he had messed with MANY fuses, didn't get them back in the right spots causing many to blow. Cost to track down the problem and put fuses back where they belong... $300. Learning to never let an employee mess with my truck... priceless. What the dealer charged I still think is BS but I didn't even think about looking at the fuse box myself after he told me all these things were now happening to the truck. He still swears that he only pulled and replaced one fuse and I now know that's not the case, but I'm the one that asked him to check it so I just ate that $300. I didn't fire him. Then a few weeks later he launched a rock through a glass storm door costing me over $200. That's the story of my life - when crap can happen it happens twice! But again, sheet happens like that in this biz and the previous year I broke a similar glass door, even being as careful as I could be. Makes me mad as heck but when you run equip like we and our employees do, stuffs going to break and get broken every now and then, no matter what precautions you take.
14x7 landscaping trailer
12x6 P&T hydro dump trailer w/leaf box
We run Gravely ZTRs, Honda 21"s, Kawasaki trimmers, Redmax Backpacks, LittleWonder loader
Old 11-06-2013, 05:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Tennis ball the other day.

44' Toro Prolline
36' Cub Cadet
Redmax EBZ 8000
Shindaiwa C2510
Tarps up the wazo
wheelbarrow
Mulch Shovel
Rakes ect

Wishlist: 2005 Silverado 2500 HD
BOSS 7'6" POWER-V STEEL BLADE
2Stage Snow Blower (I have to think of a loading system because these things are HEAVY)

~Entrepreneurship has provided me with a avenue to make money when corporate America hasn't.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG26 View Post
Tennis ball the other day.
Well I have hit lots of stuff but not as drastic as some of you but will give you some of my memorable ones
#1 all time a water hydrant only 3 or 4 " high in the center of a huge front yard and the handle was not red in color at all mowed off nicely worse even was galvanized water line!
I have hit many rabbit holes usually only blasting the rabbit fir the mother puts on top for insulation. But i sucked 5 little ones out years ago.
I hit a electric company grounding rod this year only dulled blade but was quite impact.
Also hedge oranges are fun to mow they were huge this year
Last very fresh on mind only happened month or so ago i was crossing customers drive near the road and a big box crew was driving bye and just as i waved I swear I was not near it I sucked a newspaper up and it came out against the wind just like a real confetti machine very embarrising it took 3 of us 30 mins to pick it all up. I can only imagine how that crew laughs about what they saw the company they were with employees 3700 full time lawn care so im sure it will be big laugh at company meetings
Posted via Mobile Device