Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-06-2013, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Sounds like what you need a smaller hook truck not a large one like million dollars type of disposal company would have when they run hundreds of boxes a day ect. There are many type of hook truck mfg's out there but the main ones are steller, ampiroll and swaploader. Not sure if you had looked into these systems much but they are very expensive. All depends on the size system you are needing but i bet you could do fine with some 10-15 yard bodies. And a lift capacity of 10-15k. If you get much bigger than that you could be talking 30k+ just for the system installed. Not even even including the cab and chass. If you are trying to get into the market to save the money that they are screwing you out of to do so Id suggest buying a like new or great condition used truck. I did just run across a nice one in the low 30's that maybe perfect for you. Its a 1998 Chevy C6500 Hook truck with a new swaploader. Only 47k miles on the truck and over all the truck looks brand new.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Anyone on here have rolloff or hook trucks?

Yes I agree that a used truck for this purpose is the answer. Buying a new truck and putting a lift on it is basically out of the question. Plus with having to buy boxes and other bodies it would not make sense to buy a new truck. I've seen a few tandems for 30-40k that looked nice, but halfways across the country...

I do think though that for this purpose a tandem is going to be better. You can't put a 30-40 yard container on a small truck like that. Right now they have a 30 yard container and it would be nice to have that capacity or even more.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Member

The bigger the truck, the bigger system and bigger boxes all add up to a lot of money. But if you need big dumpsters it maybe the way to go. I know a few guys that run single axle trucks with 10yrd -20 yard boxes. 20 yrds is still a lot. They did years of research and they went with the smaller trucks compared to the tandem. Less insurance, plates where much much less, less tires to replace and over all maintenance much less. But the 20 yard boxes work on there big projects just fine. They use the smaller boxes to separate the different types of metals to get top dollar at the yard. It maybe hard to find an affordable tandem hook truck that doesn't have 400k miles. Its all going to come down to price. One thing about a used system is the cost to rebuild the cylinders and just new seals and pins all over the system will cost 3-10k depending on the size and condition. No matter what if you get a used system you will want to tear into it right away so you can insure your self that you won't have costly repairs and down time once you get used to using it all the time. There is of course no great option when trying to do something like this on a budget. Wouldn't it be nice if we could all get paid what we are actually worth? Ha too many people year after year beating all the prices down to nothing! If we could charge what we need to then you could just go buy a new truck with no worries HAHA! Take care!
Old 11-06-2013, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

20 yard box on a single axle is big. I wouldnt want to be carrying that around . You wont be able to put to much material in it with out being over weight not to mention the stress of loading a large heavy box on the truck. For comparison a 17-18yd with asphalt or concrete will lift my trucks front wheels right off the ground if you are not careful.

I wouldnt worry about tearing into a used unit right away. Examine the unit very well ( piston seals, chrome, rods, cable, pins and bushings, saddles, bolts etc) dont buy a piece of junk and you should be fine.

A.E.L

Excavating, Grading, Demolition, Land Clearing, Custom Grinding Services, Storm water management, Erosion Control.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Anyone on here have rolloff or hook trucks?

I agree, even if the primary material being hauled isn't extremely heavy the added capacity of a 30-40 yard container would be awesome, especially for white goods scrap which isn't usually all that heavy, but is rather bulky.

I'm going to keep looking into this. The possible uses for a truck like this seem to be almost endless!