Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-05-2013, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Member

help me price leaves!!!!

the place where i bring my leaves is called Lawton Adams Construction CO. they charge $14 per yard its maybe 25 30 mins away. im using a chevy 3500 witch can carry about 4-6 yards im wondering if anyone can help me with how to price hauling the leaves after i blow them? any ideas? how do you price it?
Old 11-06-2013, 12:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

14 a yard is REALLY expensive, there isn't a municipal recycling center you can use? The one I use charges forty per ton, or .02 a pound. I charge .12 per pound. I can mark it up that much, because the average 4 yard load only costs me about 8 bucks to dump. $14 a yard, doesn't leave you a lot of room for profits in mark ups.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:42 AM
LawnSite Member

That is a tuffy,Most of my clients homes I have bagged in the past, Last year I even enilsted the help of another company that has a loader but it cost $100.00.

44' Toro Prolline
36' Cub Cadet
Redmax EBZ 8000
Shindaiwa C2510
Tarps up the wazo
wheelbarrow
Mulch Shovel
Rakes ect

Wishlist: 2005 Silverado 2500 HD
BOSS 7'6" POWER-V STEEL BLADE
2Stage Snow Blower (I have to think of a loading system because these things are HEAVY)

~Entrepreneurship has provided me with a avenue to make money when corporate America hasn't.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

No idea where in NY you are but there is a farmer down the street from me that 2 LCOs dump their leaves at for free. I think he mixes it in with his compost ect. Thankfully I lose most all of mine on site and can blow them back into the wood line. With that cost and the drive time in a 1 ton that is a uphill battle for sure.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-06-2013, 06:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I will be dumping mine at a place that makes topsoil. They allow grass and leaves to be dumped for free
Shindaiwa t-270, eb-630
Scag giant vac w/ 18 hp vanguard
Redmax 8500
Old 11-06-2013, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Everyone has all these great dumping resources, you just have to find yours. The place you're planning on using is too expensive. There is absolutely a better option closer to you, you just have to find it. My only suggestion on the place you plan on using is ask them for a discount for your repeat business. Knocking it down to 5 bucks a yard is still outrageously high, but leaves you some more breathing room. Currently you're looking at about 70 per truck load, no one wants to pay that.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-06-2013, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Member

How do I price the dumping to the costumer
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-06-2013, 04:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutshortlandscaping View Post
How do I price the dumping to the costumer
Posted via Mobile Device
Well normally you'd mark up the dumping as a flat rate per load, or charge by the hour for dumping it like you would anything else on top of your cost.

I pay for dumping, so I charge ten additional cents per pound on it with a minimum amount I charge. Never less than 25, and I factor my drive time into the estimate from the beginning. I get a nice little dated receipt with what I paid, and the weight out of what I dumped.

For you, with your cost being outrageously high, I'd charge what it costs to dump a truckload, then for 1.5 hours. Or you could mark it up to $25-30 per yard. That's just what I would do, other guys might have different suggestions. No two companies costs are the same, what gives me a good profit won't give the same for someone else.

I just think charging by the yard is weird. Seriously, do some research and find a better place, then charge accordingly on what will make you a profit for your time, gas, and fees.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by PenningsLandscaping; 11-06-2013 at 04:43 PM.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenningsLandscaping View Post
Everyone has all these great dumping resources, you just have to find yours. The place you're planning on using is too expensive. There is absolutely a better option closer to you, you just have to find it. My only suggestion on the place you plan on using is ask them for a discount for your repeat business. Knocking it down to 5 bucks a yard is still outrageously high, but leaves you some more breathing room. Currently you're looking at about 70 per truck load, no one wants to pay that.
Posted via Mobile Device
I pay $73 a ton to dump with a one ton charge minimum
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-06-2013, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
I pay $73 a ton to dump with a one ton charge minimum
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah but you're paying by weight. A yard of dry leaves is about 100 pounds, maybe 150 if it's been chopped up by a mower or leaf loader. You're still paying only a 1/4 of we he's paying.
Posted via Mobile Device