Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-06-2013, 08:14 AM
LawnSite Member

kawasaki 15 hp oil full of gas!

Hi everyone! I need help with the kawasaki WB 15 hp engine, the older 2003 version. One day the engine started smoking like crazy, lost power and stopped. It seemed that the oil went into the cylinder. I checket the oil level it was two times over the limit! so I drained the extra oil and finished the cut. it worked for a while longer, but then the situation happened again. I decided to check the engine and discovered that the oil in it was mixed gas. I suspect there might be a problem with the needle in the carburator, that allows gas to go through the cylinder and into the oil pan. Does this ring a bell to any of you? I would appreciate any advice regarding solutions.

THANK YOU!
-Philippians 4:13
Old 11-06-2013, 09:10 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainstreet1984 View Post
Hi everyone! I need help with the kawasaki WB 15 hp engine, the older 2003 version. One day the engine started smoking like crazy, lost power and stopped. It seemed that the oil went into the cylinder. I checket the oil level it was two times over the limit! so I drained the extra oil and finished the cut. it worked for a while longer, but then the situation happened again. I decided to check the engine and discovered that the oil in it was mixed gas. I suspect there might be a problem with the needle in the carburator, that allows gas to go through the cylinder and into the oil pan. Does this ring a bell to any of you? I would appreciate any advice regarding solutions.

THANK YOU!
Inspect the spark plug. black soot, and wet will indicate flooding.Heavy
flooding will allow fuel to get into the engine oil.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:11 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Change out that 'gas polluted/diluted' oil and filter ASAP.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 11-06-2013, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:

THANK YOU!
Pull the carb, clean it, inspect the float for cracks/gas, replace the inlet needle and inspect the seat.
I usually loosely attach the bowl, bolt up the carb, flow a little gas thru the hose, then attach the hose, remove bowl, run a bit of gas thru, and secure the bowl. A pain, but it helps to prevent debris in the carb. Lotta times it's easier to do it before ya bolt the carb up. Prolly be a good idea to replace the fuel hoses and mayhaps the filter.

Obviously ya wanna change the oil, maybe a couple of times. Oil is cheap.

......AMF!
Old 11-06-2013, 07:00 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I was going to add something but Bigfish Covered it all
Old 11-07-2013, 08:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks guys, I will replace the needle, the float seems to be good, don't know about the seat cant see any craks or scrapes. Thanks again
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-07-2013, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Thanks guys, I will replace the needle, the float seems to be good, don't know about the seat cant see any craks or scrapes. Thanks again
Posted via Mobile Device
You want to replace the needle and seat together. Before you take it all apart make sure the float moves freely and doesn't have any fuel inside the float. Also, check to make sure the float was adjusted right.