Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-07-2013, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

dont be so concerned about loosing efficiency using a 21 inch. no offense but with as few yards you have, and with you only being 13 you should have plenty of time to get your yards done. im 15 and play football and i have practice everyday and sometimes on saturdays. The weekends is when i do most of my mowing, ive got about 10 yards all on the big side mostly. if i were you i would keep using the mower you have now and get some nice $$ in the bank so when you get more yards and you figure out what kind of mower you really need you can get yourself a nice piece of equipment.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakes mowing View Post
dont be so concerned about loosing efficiency using a 21 inch. no offense but with as few yards you have, and with you only being 13 you should have plenty of time to get your yards done. im 15 and play football and i have practice everyday and sometimes on saturdays. The weekends is when i do most of my mowing, ive got about 10 yards all on the big side mostly. if i were you i would keep using the mower you have now and get some nice $$ in the bank so when you get more yards and you figure out what kind of mower you really need you can get yourself a nice piece of equipment.
I would have to agree with jake here. A new piece of equipment its always nice, but putting away a few gs is always allot nicer down the road.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

dude, you got a nicer push mower than what I'm running. No shame with the BR600 either!! Not sure what the trimmer is but maybe a Shindy or Redmax? It's good stuff. Heck any 13 y/o with a Stihl backpack is a feat in itself. Nice job on being productive rather than playing with a iPhone all day. I'm a school teacher and see A LOT of lazy kids. Nice to see you out making a name for yourself and a few bucks! Keep it up and good luck.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:12 AM
LawnSite Member

The Viking or the Turf Tracer

For you I would recommend the viking. The turf tracer will have the floating deck and the viking will have a fixed deck. The turf tracer (as i'm sure you know) will cost more and be a more desirable machine but the viking would serve you just fine. I wouldn't worry about cost of operation on a 36" walk behind. It won't break the bank.
I bought my first commercial grade walk behind when I was 14 years old. I was mowing 6? yards a week maybe and saved up some cash. 48" Bobcat walk behind. Soon it was 25 yards a week and that thing kept up with it all just fine. I would break one push mower a season before that. Cost of maintenance on the bigger machine saved me money instead of fixing/replacing those push mowers all the time. Sorry to get all nostalgic on you- I've just been there, done that
Old 11-08-2013, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Be careful with the fertilizing part. Try to get an applicators license so you avoid any trouble that might come your way.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I use a World Lawn 36 and it comes standard with a floating deck with small deck lifts. I really like it since I put the mower in the back of my pickup. http://www.worldlawn.com/products/walk-behinds/48-2/
Old 11-08-2013, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnMowerKing10 View Post
Be careful with the fertilizing part. Try to get an applicators license so you avoid any trouble that might come your way.
Good point. He needs to check his local regulations. He may not need any licensing if he only uses the fertilizer that anyone can purchase at their local home/garden centers. Check your local regulations.
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
Stihl HS56C Hedge Trimmer
Stihl MS391 25" Bar Chainsaw
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
Earthquake 16" Rear Tine Tiller
Honda 9" Mini Tiller FG110
2014 GMC Sierra Denali HD
7' x 16' Enclosed V-Nose Trailer
6' x 12' Dump Trailer
Equipment & Work thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=415830
Old 11-08-2013, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Member

I will be purchasing the Viking in I want to say February, don't quote me on that though

For those of you wondering, I got the BR600 for FREE I bargined with my parents to cover the cost and they agreed!

I am also looking for some feedback on what other services I should offer. Lastly where should I go to get certified to apply fertilizer?

Thanks

Old 11-08-2013, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

^ Google it.....or call your county Agriculture extension (if there is one)...I'd guess you'd have to at least 18 to get a applicators license, so I wouldn't recommend pursuing that at this time. Maybe in a few years though. Things you could chase now would be mulch, power washing, aerating, general labor like painting fences or whatever.....You don't need any special certification for those types of things. Personally, Mowing is my bread & butter. My second largest revenue service is brush mowing (I have a tractor and bush hog to do this, not cheap to get in to), then it's probably a toss up between mulch/stone and power washing, I also do some light tree work. If a tree is down I'll come clean it up, I'm not an arborist though. If some odd job pops up and I know I can handle it and if I have time, I'll do that too.

I'd suggest staying away from tree work at your age, it's super dangerous and real easy to cause substantial damage to people and property. I also do fair in Winter time with snow service. You of course don't have a truck and plow, but shovels are cheap and easy to come by. Offer to wake up real early on snow days and go around your neighborhood shoveling drives and brushing off cars, maybe even warming up a few cars so the customer has a nice heated, cleaned of car to get into?? You could spend 30 or 40 bucks on a decent snow shovel and one of those foam snow brooms for cars. That's assuming you even get snow, not sure where you live.

FWIW, You didn't get the 600 for free, nothing is free. If your parents picked up the tab for it, make sure to repay them somehow. Do something for them that is at least equal to, or exceeds the price of the blower. Do some house chores like ALL of the yard work at home, do the dishes, sweep the floors, etc. You might already have this covered, just don't take a $600 piece of equipment for granted. Turn this in to an investment for your folks. They shell out the $ but get XYZ in return and more.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You most likely have to be 18 and have a business license I believe. Check online or call the local Department of Agriculture office.
Posted via Mobile Device