Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-08-2013, 03:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a strategic marketing move by AL. However, I have to wonder how thorough these checks are going to be and what would actually disqualify a contractor from advertising with them. A DUI 10 years ago, bad credit, drug possession, being in complete debt?

So the guys with real bad records don't even bother trying to list there bc they have a bad record. Similar to drug addicts avoiding jobs that require clean urine.

Many of the people in this industry and similar ones have been in some type of trouble.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

And to the ones that havent such as myself, it should help out. Only issue is i have NEVER even met anyone that uses AL, so is it really worth it? If its free to be on as a contractor, its a no-brainer..
Old 11-08-2013, 03:59 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLugNutZ View Post
And to the ones that havent such as myself, it should help out. Only issue is i have NEVER even met anyone that uses AL, so is it really worth it? If its free to be on as a contractor, its a no-brainer..
Also have to submit 3 reviews written by customers also. They are good about finding fuggers
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-08-2013, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I think it is worth it as it still remains a fairly credible site. I don't come across many people in the customer pool that use it. That doesn't really matter because they obviously have large number of people that use them
Old 11-08-2013, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will P.C. View Post
I think it is worth it as it still remains a fairly credible site. I don't come across many people in the customer pool that use it. That doesn't really matter because they obviously have large number of people that use them
They do have a lot of people that use them? how do you know, does it say when you are a member? I know they advertise a lot, that may be just because they have investors.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
They do have a lot of people that use them? how do you know, does it say when you are a member? I know they advertise a lot, that may be just because they have investors.
I don't know enough about AL to say. I just read an article by Forbes that did not look promising which made some great points. http://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspe...o-angies-list/

I have lived in smaller towns before and if my AC broke I knew who to call. I live in metro ATL now where there are tons of AC companies that service my area (even companies 2hrs away service the area). So I can see AL being of use to someone in my area, but I would need to be doing some remodeling with multiple contractors before I paid for the service. You also have lots of free options these days that I think customers are likely to check first.

I will PM Tony the Greek and ask him to respond.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Not sure what I can really add but, as with most lead gen services, I'm a proponent of try it, see if it's a fit, and if it isn't, move on. Customer acquisition cost is an easy enough number to figure out, and we all know and track those, right?

Of all AL feedback I've received, it seems to entirely come down to the market's population. But, this is the same for just about any lead gen service. It's a straight up game of statistical probability. As Will P.C. mentions, if you live in Chicago, you're going to get requests for landscaping work. If you live in BFE, town of 150, you might have a very looooong wait.

I agree with everything Headz said. Sure, it can be an annoyance, but the verified background outcome can be a great badge to rally (and market) around. Implementing this program, hopefully, helps raise the quality for everyone. Along the way, it might just eliminate some of your competition, too. One only need look at the heavy PR hit that airbnb took to know that a level of accountability has to be maintained, especially when the home owner is paying AL for the name of [maybe he's a criminal, maybe he's not].
Old 11-23-2013, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Angie's list DOES charge contractors to be on the top of the list. Sort of like Google, most people don't go past the first 3 or 4. 2 or more great reviews and they will call you if you have a contractor account with them. They will give you a price to be "featured". Depends on the market. In my market with 2 cities that I service, they want 2400 a year.
Greensboro NC
Old 11-23-2013, 12:09 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grass-scapes View Post
Angie's list DOES charge contractors to be on the top of the list. Sort of like Google, most people don't go past the first 3 or 4. 2 or more great reviews and they will call you if you have a contractor account with them. They will give you a price to be "featured". Depends on the market. In my market with 2 cities that I service, they want 2400 a year.
Yes! This IS correct! I would concur with Tony, if your in a densely populated area AL will work for you, if not it won't. We've had a ton of success with them they have consistently delivered high quality clients to us, the Criminal background check thing is a no brainer, we require that with our employees as well.Like I've said before on here, MAKE SURE your in a position to deliver high quality service if you plan on using them or you will get blasted and ruin your online reputation quickly.
Old 11-24-2013, 12:33 AM
LawnSite Member

One poster mentioned home advisor please take my word and stay away from home advisor if you dont beleive me check the bbb they have lots of troubles.
Posted via Mobile Device