Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-08-2013, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowDogSVC View Post
Keep in mind the different hose sizes (think blood pressure higher when vessels constricted) can affect psi and flow. Valve blocks, diverters, and coupler restrictions on both sides (machine and attachment) also play a part. The local CAT dealer, a big one, was drilling out couplers to reduce flow restriction on XPS skid steers but then I started wondering how that affected psi?

I've seen relief valves kick in too early, flow rates decrease significantly with RPM drop, etc. It is really hard to have a one-size fits all scenario.

I'd like to own a flow meter (anyone know where to get one for a Bobcat?) just for the hell of it. I'd like to flow test my excavator (supposed to be 19 gpm at 3000 psi) as well as my toolcat (26 gpm at 3000 psi on high flow) just to see where they are at. I don't run much more than a grapple and mower on the toolcat and a thumb on the excavator but I'd still like to see where they line up with Bobcat's specs.
The Ex you have will not make 19gpm at 3000 rpm. The 19 gpm will be at a much lower pressure. Your engine makes 42 hp. Assume min 80% loss efficiency from pumps and that leaves 33 max available too the whole machine ao unless Bobcat has figured something out nobody else has your machine cannot have 33 hp available at the aux circuit, Your machine will have about 19 hp available real world.