Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-08-2013, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Solid front tires

Any of you guys run solid tires on front of your Z riders? If so have you had any issues with them splitting. I have had two on one of my Hustlers split in a year. They don't like replacing them either and I sure do not at nearly 200.00 for replacements.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-08-2013, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We have solid front tires on all our mowers. Walk behinds and zturns alike. I have never had the ones on the z turns split but had one on a wb that started cracking
Stihl and Echo handhelds
Commercial Applicator Certified in 3A and 3B
Old 11-09-2013, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper8870 View Post
Any of you guys run solid tires on front of your Z riders? If so have you had any issues with them splitting. I have had two on one of my Hustlers split in a year. They don't like replacing them either and I sure do not at nearly 200.00 for replacements.
Posted via Mobile Device
OTR was the manufacturer Hustler was buying their run-flat tires from, I have these tires on my newest Super Z. Hustler moved away from this tire and manufacturer, I asked why and all Hustler would say was they were having problems with the tires splitting. I called OTR and told them Hustler would no longer be using their run-flat tires and the reason I was given. The person I was talking with looked into the matter and called me back, he told me they had a bad run of tires and Hustler got the majority. They found the problem and returned their rubber composition back to its original formula, problem solved, but my understanding is Hustler has a bad taste because of the experience, and now OTR is having to work especially hard in an attempt to reclaim Hustler's confidence in their product.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Well, that is what type of tire is on them. I like the tires if they would just stay together. Maybe the replacements will. One split right down the center, the other one split on the edge of tire where it gos from flat to side wall. It's a jagged tear like you would tear a piece of paper.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:47 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

We got 9 years and 2700 hours on the solids on our lazer 52 before one had to be replaced. My old 60 didn't come with them but I upgraded to them back in 2005 and they are still running fine and were talking 4000 hours on them.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:59 AM
LawnSite Member

I just tried a set on my Z and did not like the rough ride they gave my mower. I just tried them on my personal lawn and took them back off and re-installed the pneumatic tires. Much better ride than the flat free but that's my 2 cents. I didn't give them time to split so I'm unsure of that issue. They just didn't have the "pneumatic feel" promised by the manufacturer.
Honda HRB217 21" Self Propelled Hydrostatic
Ryan LawnAire 28 Core Aerator
Stihl HS80 Hedge Trimmer
Stihl HT101 Limb Saw
Stihl FS110 Trimmer
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl HL 135° Hedge Trimmer Attachment
Echo SRM260S Trimmer
Stihl BR600 Magnum Blower
Stihl BR420 Magnum Blower
Echo Backpack Sprayer
Shindaiwa RS60 Spreader
And the best employee in the business...My Son!!
Old 11-10-2013, 08:34 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
I had my rear tires on my walk behind and my front tires on my zero turn foam fill. Never had one issue with them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-10-2013, 08:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Well, that is what type of tire is on them. I like the tires if they would just stay together. Maybe the replacements will. One split right down the center, the other one split on the edge of tire where it gos from flat to side wall. It's a jagged tear like you would tear a piece of paper.
I've got the OTR run-flats on my 72" Super Z and they perform really well with the flex-forks. These tires are semi-pneumatic which in reality gives you the best of both worlds, a more cushioned ride than the solid no-flat tires, while at the same time making them totally flat-free.

The flex-forks make a considerable difference when running any tire, but especially these semi-pneumatic tires. My tires are soft enough to retain a slight flat spot from memory, but once the mower rolls a few feet the memory is erased. The run-flats on mowers such as the new Exmarks are of a harder rubber composition that leaves very little; if any flat area from memory, but this also promotes a much more jarring ride than the OTR semi-pneumatic tires we are running.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Member

I like the OTR tire. My ride is great. I demoed a John Deere with solids and they almost jarred my teeth out. The ones on my Super Z ride very well.
Posted via Mobile Device