Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-09-2013, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Member

I may be wrong but I have not met anyone who runs a actual solo business and does ok that does not charge at least $60 an hour , If you have a bunch of people working for you that's different , if you want to be able to pay your bills and keep decent equipment etc I would think you need to charge $60 hour , for me a leaf clean up takes about 1.5 to 2 times as long as just cutting the grass so that's what I charge , I have a feeling the guy was mad because you are lowering the price in the area , just remember some day you will have bills , house payment , kids whatever and how would you feel some person lowering the going rate in the area. If you are making $60 an hour and you are lower than everyone else great but if you are charging half that then you need to revisit your long term business plan , just my opinion .
Old 11-10-2013, 07:59 AM
LawnSite Member

After reading a lot of these posts if amazes me how cheap other parts of the country are. I won't even show up to a clean under $180. I have clean ups up into the $700 range. I don't know how you can charge 2-3 times a mowing rate. Here in new england you have yards that a crew could be at for a day and remove 2-3 boxes of leaves and the mowing price could only be $150 or so. How would you make money charging a 2-3 times a mowing rate for a clean up like that? You'd loose money. I know prices range from area to area, it just amazes me how cheap some people are willing to go. IMO leaves are no part of a mowing service. The second it starts taking longer to mow and continue bagging due to leaves the bagger comes off, unless the customer is willing to pay for it. Time is money! Just my .02
Scag VRIDE
Scag Rider
Stihl BR600's
Stihl wackers/hedge trimmers
Little Wonder Vac/Walk behind blower
Old 11-10-2013, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonsground View Post
After reading a lot of these posts if amazes me how cheap other parts of the country are. I won't even show up to a clean under $180. I have clean ups up into the $700 range. I don't know how you can charge 2-3 times a mowing rate. Here in new england you have yards that a crew could be at for a day and remove 2-3 boxes of leaves and the mowing price could only be $150 or so. How would you make money charging a 2-3 times a mowing rate for a clean up like that? You'd loose money. I know prices range from area to area, it just amazes me how cheap some people are willing to go. IMO leaves are no part of a mowing service. The second it starts taking longer to mow and continue bagging due to leaves the bagger comes off, unless the customer is willing to pay for it. Time is money! Just my .02
My customers want weekly leaf clean up. The first two weeks the loads are heavy then steadily decrease the last three weeks with the last week extremely light. They are charged double mow each time. So total bill is $350 for my smallest and $480 for my largest.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Interesting reading in this thread. Conclusion: There is nothing fixed with regard to pricing, or "how to do."

The variables, (1) Location - the leaf drop varies considerably from one region to another, (2) Timing - when to start, how often to visit, when to end, (3) Rates for doing work - rolled into mowing rates, separate charges, (4) Equipment used -- simple mowers able to mulch, specialized equipment to handle leaves.

Over the years, every Fall many threads like this one is started. The questions are appropriate and are of value. However, getting an answer to fit the OP questions is usually elusive. The responses are good reading, but, in the end, the OP is probably left with the same question. That is OK. These issues are relevant and important to every LCO, but at the end of the day, the OP has to make their own choices.

For me, almost no responses fit my needs, or expectations. That is OK, as well. One thing that does strike me is "what the customer wants." Rarely do I get expectations articulated, rather an implied "just do what needs to be done." That includes visit schedules, how to, when to start, when end. There is no educating, or no dictating. In fact, I think most of my customers have very little idea what happens on their property.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:10 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

The way we do it is we cut and clean the lawn off each cut as the leaves fall. Takes maybe a couple minutes extra on each lawn each week. The city's here have leaf pickup 3 times through each neighborhood in the fall so everybody piles them along the curb. I use the mower to do the entire lawn and just work them to the street mowing in one direction. Leaves the lawn absolutely spotless and freshly cut. We will tack on an extra $40 to $50 charge at the end of novembers bill for doing that. The very last cut of the season we blow the beds out into the lawn then do the final cut and lawn cleanup and charge accordingly for that. We very rarely ever do a "major cleanup" and we never haul leaves away. There is either curb pickup available or woods to haul them back into at all of our lawns.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)