Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-10-2013, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I know some places irrigate year round.. but not seattle.

No photo's but I was downtown seattle late last night in the rain with 45 degree weather and saw about 20 1812's with no nozzles just spraying away. New city sidewalk construction.. * Shakes head*
Old 11-10-2013, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

There have been industrial landscapes near me that I've known to be watered year-round, with the building getting the water supply at a flat rate, so no incentive to save water (brass heads and valves might have helped a bit with enduring temperature extremes)
Old 11-12-2013, 09:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
There have been industrial landscapes near me that I've known to be watered year-round, with the building getting the water supply at a flat rate, so no incentive to save water (brass heads and valves might have helped a bit with enduring temperature extremes)
that kind of stuff makes me stop and actually go in and notify/scold the folks in charge. done that several times. I saw a huge leak at a HD, told the manager(not a job I work on, offered to no avail), and it leaked for 5 more weeks. it was a huge mainline leak, spilling into the parkinglot, turned the grass island into a pond, and the guys were mowing right thru it still.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchgo View Post
I know some places irrigate year round.. but not seattle.

No photo's but I was downtown seattle late last night in the rain with 45 degree weather and saw about 20 1812's with no nozzles just spraying away. New city sidewalk construction.. * Shakes head*
This is the time government needs to be involve.... All public works job, mandatory use of rain sensors.....so many times I drive around town when raining and the irrigation is on.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think that is far fetched at all, in fact every commercial setting period should at this point(since usually no one is on site to do anything, and computers are more accurate) have a minimum of a rains sensor installed and verified it works every year, maybe twice per year check it. It would cut down a super large amount of waste. However, it is a very popular and requested device by clients of ours. It only makes sense and is generally a cheap investment overall.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

What's odd, is that we DON'T get asked much about them here. I would say less than 5% of homes and businesses that we work on have a rain sensor. And it's probably closer to 1-2%. Even with rebates from some of the water districts.

I also find sensors are a great source of screw ups that can damage a lawn in the heat of summer when they fail in the open circuit position - squirrels chewing wires, wire falls out in the terminal ports, someone did a field wired sensor and the connections came apart. In a climate that sees 16" a year of moisture, every little bit helps. I agree with having them not rain during a storm, but if it rains on Wednesday and one of my TWO days to water in a week is Friday, I want it to still water that Friday.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah. Especially on commercials where the water usage compared to a standard resi is so much more exponential .. Rain sensors should be required

The other year our water district alliance groups streamlined the rebate process where the rebate process credited the contractor company instead of the consumer. It's easy to tell someone ' Hey you can have this for free and not have to do anything about it to make sure its free' Since then we have probably installed over 2500-3000 rain sensors.

This also came at a cost of confusion to customers and phone calls to us when there system wasn't working when the rain sensor was just activated.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

since we are on rain sensors, what is your favorite and most long lasting trouble free unit? I know I like the hunter rain/freeze wireless sensor a lot. I see a R&D brand on many systems, and everyone of them is bad, and many causing issues with the controller.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I hate wireless. Im old school . Simple minklick wired to the clock
Old 11-13-2013, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have doubts about the battery life in the Hunter wireless models where the batteries can't be changed.