Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #11  
Old 11-11-2013, 10:04 AM
echo echo is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: somewhere out there
Posts: 1,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
I guarantee you someone will do it for less than 500. I mean 2500 is ridiculous to blow some leaves around unless there 3 feet deep
Posted via Mobile Device
After fuel in the truck, machines, taxes, paying helpers, disposal fees, less than $500 is losing money. 4.5 acres is a lot of property.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-11-2013, 10:10 AM
gcbailey's Avatar
gcbailey gcbailey is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: southern WV
Posts: 2,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandlawn View Post
How much would you guys charge for a 4.5 acre leaf cleanup, mostly open area, but some tight areas as well. All of the leaves need to be taken away. I quoted the guy $ 2,500 for cleanup and disposal.I will probably have 4 guys working with me. Was this a good price or to high or to low.? The guy will call me back on a answer, after getting other estimates.
OK, so all the leaves have to be taken away... That much guarantees one of two things. Either dumping them somewhere that will charge you to do, or you have someplace you can dump for free...

Then, how far do you have to travel to dump them? What's your mpg on your vehicle? What are you hauling them in (bed of pickup, trailer, what size trailer)?

What kind of equipment are you using to gather the leaves, you said you have 4 guys... is that 4 guys on mowers each with baggers? 4 guys with blowers? 4 guys with rakes?

Is this a one time charge or does this cover the entire season?

People ask a lot of "how much to charge?" questions without getting into enough details so others can help them out.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-11-2013, 10:13 AM
JCLawn and more's Avatar
JCLawn and more JCLawn and more is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 5,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
After fuel in the truck, machines, taxes, paying helpers, disposal fees, less than $500 is losing money. 4.5 acres is a lot of property.
Posted via Mobile Device
I just saw the haul away part, that adds a whole different dynamic. Price is totally dependent on the equipment you have
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-11-2013, 10:17 AM
JCLawn and more's Avatar
JCLawn and more JCLawn and more is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 5,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcbailey View Post
OK, so all the leaves have to be taken away... That much guarantees one of two things. Either dumping them somewhere that will charge you to do, or you have someplace you can dump for free...

Then, how far do you have to travel to dump them? What's your mpg on your vehicle? What are you hauling them in (bed of pickup, trailer, what size trailer)?

What kind of equipment are you using to gather the leaves, you said you have 4 guys... is that 4 guys on mowers each with baggers? 4 guys with blowers? 4 guys with rakes?

Is this a one time charge or does this cover the entire season?

People ask a lot of "how much to charge?" questions without getting into enough details so others can help them out.
Its this late in the year so it must be one time. I know for me it normally come out to around $150 a light load when I haul it from the property. That maybe 3-4 yards of mulches leaves and that includes cleanup if its open. I could see this being 10+ loads. If he has a dump trailer that will make things a lot easier or a leaf loader.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-11-2013, 11:47 AM
LandFakers's Avatar
LandFakers LandFakers is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 5,894
I do 3.5 acres of horse fields for $1250. I do it by myself in about 7 hours. I blow the edges of the field in and bag them with the vac on my mower and then dump behind my truck. Suck up the leaves with the loader after that. It took 4 trips this year. This is wide open property besides the big trees though so time may differ. Most of my time comes from driving to the dump site to unload. I can get all the leaves corralled in about 3.5 hours.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-11-2013, 12:07 PM
echo echo is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: somewhere out there
Posts: 1,442
Sometimes there's the option of driving onto a large property and cutting a lot of time and money. 2 different prices with one being much less. Sometimes they go cheaper but depending on the terrain, how wet it is, and how concerned they are with their yard, in many instances they go with the higher. Cracks me up every year when the same ones question the price, yet when you suggest cutting the trees, they wouldn't hear anything of it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-11-2013, 02:33 PM
ProStreetCamaro's Avatar
ProStreetCamaro ProStreetCamaro is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Gaithersburg Maryland
Posts: 3,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
I guarantee you someone will do it for less than 500. I mean 2500 is ridiculous to blow some leaves around unless there 3 feet deep
Posted via Mobile Device

Every part of the country is different. Around my area I agree a crew of illegals will come in and do it for less than $500 and be done and gone in 2 hours. Same thing with cutting. Some guys here claim they wont drop the gate for less than $35 to $40 no matter how small the lawn. Around here those guys would have no business because people would laugh you right off the property when they can get 100 different crews of illegals to do a small lawn for $20.

So these types of questions really have no right or wrong answer. It is all market dependent.
__________________
2013 Gravely 460Z 29EFI
2011 Gravely 36GR
2008 Gravely 160Z
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:26 AM.

Page generated in 0.06392 seconds with 9 queries