Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-07-2013, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middle Tennessee Lawn View Post
Well I have hit lots of stuff but not as drastic as some of you but will give you some of my memorable ones
#1 all time a water hydrant only 3 or 4 " high in the center of a huge front yard and the handle was not red in color at all mowed off nicely worse even was galvanized water line!
I have hit many rabbit holes usually only blasting the rabbit fir the mother puts on top for insulation. But i sucked 5 little ones out years ago.
I hit a electric company grounding rod this year only dulled blade but was quite impact.
Also hedge oranges are fun to mow they were huge this year
Last very fresh on mind only happened month or so ago i was crossing customers drive near the road and a big box crew was driving bye and just as i waved I swear I was not near it I sucked a newspaper up and it came out against the wind just like a real confetti machine very embarrising it took 3 of us 30 mins to pick it all up. I can only imagine how that crew laughs about what they saw the company they were with employees 3700 full time lawn care so im sure it will be big laugh at company meetings
Posted via Mobile Device

I swear news papers actually slide themselves towards the mower. I started to think about it and I have done a nice job on three local town papers over the past 20 years. All 3 were no where near my mower and slid themselves towards me to get mulched up.

I think they want to go back to nature.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Not me or anything ran over but in my town there was a farmer with an s650 or so john deere combine that ran over a car on the gravel road. Went out to the field, hooked up the head until someone came to him and asked what happened. He thought he just hit a dump in the road. Kid was ok. He slowed and pulled over to the side due to meeting on a bridge, combine came across and rode both duals right over the car.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a lawn in which the customer apparently chip shots in the back yard. There is golf balls scattered throughout the large backyard. Hit one just a little bit ago and it went flying in multiple pieces.
I also have hit a metal dog leash, which stopped my hustler dead in its tracks, a few plastic bags, small toys, and some other odds and ends.
Probably my scariest was a T-shaped water cut off. I didn't see it in the grass and it was rusty, so it blended in. I caught one of the handles and it broke it off and shot it out. Luckily there were no cars or people around and it was on the other side of the yard from the house. I'm lucky it didn't impale me.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-11-2013, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I ran over my back flow valve a couple weeks ago... that was a long day. I've also hit a larger than average pile of really fresh dog **** with my line trimmer, it literally covered me head to toe. The smell was so awful I went home and showered.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Just to name a few: grounding rod, live snake, live mice, a rock the size of a cantaloupe (buried in leaves), brick. Probably more but cant think of them all. Never a dull moment in the mowing business I guess.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Pile of bricks, pilings, Large toad, chain link fence and re bar that caused $800 in damages. All of these were after Katrina cleanup.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Rolex watch left on lawn, they were sun bathing. The tried to imply it was my fault!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-12-2013, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Had a client back out of his drive way over my blower, which was half in the grass. He just waved and drove away.

Last season I hit a tube full of wires leading in to a hot tub from the house. Needless to say it was ripped out and wires thrown across the yard with horrible noise. (and very expensive.)

Hit a dog chain with a 21" and left a circle of dead grass where is caught and spun around the mower. Took me a while to shut off the blades cuz i had the handle tied down (I cant stand safteys)

Best yet my buddy pulled the trailer forward with a trimmer sitting in the street, crushing the shaft. To fix it he used a burnz o matic torch and a hammer.... its somehow still works...
Old 12-12-2013, 08:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Oh and my brother drove a Deere WB up the trailer gate with the blades on...
Old 12-12-2013, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLC Lawn Care View Post
Oh and my brother drove a Deere WB up the trailer gate with the blades on...
i did that with my zero. hadn particle board down, ripped it to shreads