Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-13-2013, 09:51 AM
LawnSite Member

new part time lawn mowing business

Hello All! I am from NJ at the jersey shore. I am going to be starting a lawn cutting service part time. I I am a licensed master plumber.I know what it's like to run a business I had my own plumbing company for 7 years and I also still do that part time.I had some questions about equipment. I have a brother in law who is going to give me a 36 inch scag commercial mower . I also know somebody that has a 33 inch commercial mower with a walk behind commercial blower and a walk behind commercial edger. Do you think the walk behind blower and edger are worth it Or should I just have a pole trimmer, edger and backpack blower?

Q 2. I always wonder what is the right way to get rid of grass clippings is it too blow them onto the lawn or blow everything into the street?

3. When you Trim around a vinyl fence and you can't get to the grass that's up against the posts what do you guys do? I noticed on my own lawn it's very difficult to get these blades of grass without Maring up the fence.

4. I have also heard a little trick is to trim the grass down to the dirt so that it does not have to be done every time is this correct? Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-13-2013, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

new part time lawn mowing business

2. Yard
4. No, you're want to cut grass right? Then why would you do something that would cause less visits?
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:54 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-13-2013, 12:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Im not trying to make myself smart or be a wize axx, but cant you make a lot more money in plumming?
Old 11-13-2013, 12:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

1. You probably won't need a 36" and a 33" unless you have an area that the 36" is too large to fit. A walk behind blower will come in handy on large leaf jobs…you should also get yourself a backpack blower (get the best and most powerful blower you can afford…check out RedMax and Stihl). I have a RedMax (see my signature for the model#). The walk behind edger is good for creating new edges…a stick edger is good for maintaining nice crisp edges or creating new edges (just not as efficient as the walk behind when creating new edges) and some people use a trimmer turned on its side to maintain edges (quality is sacrificed for speed and don't bother trying to create new edges with a trimmer). Get yourself a good quality stick edger and trimmer. I use Stihl.

2. Blowing clippings all over the street is not only unprofessional and sloppy, it is also probably a fineable offense in your municipality. You can either mulch the clippings into the lawn, leave un-mulched clippings on the lawn, bag clippings and dump on site, or bag clippings and haul off. I mulch…mulching helps return nutrients to the soil as the clippings decompose.

3. You could try spraying a small amount of Round-Up at the base of the post…a 1/2 inch to 1 inch away from the post is all you need. This will kill the grass and will be hardly noticeable unless you are standing next to the post looking straight down.

4. No this is not correct but some people do it. The correct way to trim is to trim to the exact same height as the mower cut every single time you service the lawn…anything else is a shortcut which will sacrifice quality and looks. This is one area where you will see a noticeable difference between quality lawn care and quick lawn care and then there is the middle ground of average lawn care where you trim shorter than the mow height but not short enough to hit dirt. You need to decide which type of lawn care service you will be providing.

Good luck.

By the way, welcome from Fort Worth, Texas.
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
Stihl HS56C Hedge Trimmer
Stihl MS391 25" Bar Chainsaw
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
Earthquake 16" Rear Tine Tiller
Honda 9" Mini Tiller FG110
2014 GMC Sierra Denali HD
7' x 16' Enclosed V-Nose Trailer
6' x 12' Dump Trailer
Equipment & Work thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=415830
Old 11-13-2013, 12:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
Im not trying to make myself smart or be a wize axx, but cant you make a lot more money in plumming?
True I do but it's very up and down I need steady money., have to keep lots of parts, tools, and insurances are very expensive.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-13-2013, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemy3sons View Post
True I do but it's very up and down I need steady money., have to keep lots of parts, tools, and insurances are very expensive.
Posted via Mobile Device
I see, can you do both?
Old 11-13-2013, 12:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. W. Landscapers, Inc. View Post
1. You probably won't need a 36" and a 33" unless you have an area that the 36" is too large to fit. A walk behind blower will come in handy on large leaf jobs…you should also get yourself a backpack blower (get the best and most powerful blower you can afford…check out RedMax and Stihl). I have a RedMax (see my signature for the model#). The walk behind edger is good for creating new edges…a stick edger is good for maintaining nice crisp edges or creating new edges (just not as efficient as the walk behind when creating new edges) and some people use a trimmer turned on its side to maintain edges (quality is sacrificed for speed and don't bother trying to create new edges with a trimmer). Get yourself a good quality stick edger and trimmer. I use Stihl.

2. Blowing clippings all over the street is not only unprofessional and sloppy, it is also probably a fineable offense in your municipality. You can either mulch the clippings into the lawn, leave un-mulched clippings on the lawn, bag clippings and dump on site, or bag clippings and haul off. I mulch…mulching helps return nutrients to the soil as the clippings decompose.

3. You could try spraying a small amount of Round-Up at the base of the post…a 1/2 inch to 1 inch away from the post is all you need. This will kill the grass and will be hardly noticeable unless you are standing next to the post looking straight down.

4. No this is not correct but some people do it. The correct way to trim is to trim to the exact same height as the mower cut every single time you service the lawn…anything else is a shortcut which will sacrifice quality and looks. This is one area where you will see a noticeable difference between quality lawn care and quick lawn care and then there is the middle ground of average lawn care where you trim shorter than the mow height but not short enough to hit dirt. You need to decide which type of lawn care service you will be providing.

Good luck.

By the way, welcome from Fort Worth, Texas.
If i only have the money to purchase the used walk behind blower and edger will that get me by until i can buy new? Great advice thank you. And I'm glad to be here.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-13-2013, 12:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

IMO if you start in the spring, you only need a small blower to blow clippings, it really wont be until fall until you need a more powerful blower, unless you have a large spring clean you need to do of course.

Im sort of in the same boat as you, in NJ, starting up next spring, and while I def plan on picking up a better trimmer (my current crapsman will be backup) I plan on starting off using my crapsman hand-held blower to save the ~$500 on a new blower until just before leave cleanup time. Unless the dealer I use gives me an awesome deal. I mean at this point I think i have decided to go Echo with everything, so he may give me a good deal ifI buy $1000-1300 worth of Echo stuff from him.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
I see, can you do both?
Oh yes I plan too
Posted via Mobile Device