Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
I see, can you do both?

Oh yes I can do both
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-13-2013, 03:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLugNutZ View Post
IMO if you start in the spring, you only need a small blower to blow clippings, it really wont be until fall until you need a more powerful blower, unless you have a large spring clean you need to do of course.

Im sort of in the same boat as you, in NJ, starting up next spring, and while I def plan on picking up a better trimmer (my current crapsman will be backup) I plan on starting off using my crapsman hand-held blower to save the ~$500 on a new blower until just before leave cleanup time. Unless the dealer I use gives me an awesome deal. I mean at this point I think i have decided to go Echo with everything, so he may give me a good deal ifI buy $1000-1300 worth of Echo stuff from him.
Hey great to see someone else from NJ on here. What are you going to start charging? I was told to start at 25 a cut for small lawn. A drop the gate price. Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-13-2013, 04:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemy3sons View Post
Oh yes I can do both
Posted via Mobile Device
That's cool, lawncare is extremely slow in winter, you can do handyman work this time of year.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemy3sons View Post
Hey great to see someone else from NJ on here. What are you going to start charging? I was told to start at 25 a cut for small lawn. A drop the gate price. Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Well I plan on starting basically part time in my neighborhood and surrounding only. Really only larger lots here, at least 100x100 and most are 150x100 and up. So my min will be at least $35 most likely and most will be more. I wont bother with $25 lawns unless I KNOW ill get lots of extra work from them (mulching, hedge trimming, spring & fall flowers etc...)

Remember, im in monmouth county so it may be a little different. But I think I want to be at $40+ for the majority of the properties i want to do.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Well I plan on starting basically part time in my neighborhood and surrounding only. Really only larger lots here, at least 100x100 and most are 150x100 and up. So my min will be at least $35 most likely and most will be more. I wont bother with $25 lawns unless I KNOW ill get lots of extra work from them (mulching, hedge trimming, spring & fall flowers etc...)

Remember, im in monmouth county so it may be a little different. But I think I want to be at $40+ for the majority of the properties i want to do.
Yeah your right different county all together. Lol. Good luck I'm sure we will be telling lots of storys on here. Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-13-2013, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yall don't sell yourselves short, the cheapist house I do is 35$ the whole lot house and all is about 5000'.

This is a extremely expensive business to operate.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
Yall don't sell yourselves short, the cheapist house I do is 35$ the whole lot house and all is about 5000'.

This is a extremely expensive business to operate.
Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-13-2013, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good luck to you too. Lots of competition here.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-13-2013, 05:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Good luck to you too. Lots of competition here.
Posted via Mobile Device
You have that with any business. There is always room for more!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-13-2013, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are going to charge $25 to service a client's lawn, you will probably need to take approximately 20 to 30 minutes from the time you park your truck to the time you drive off.

You need to figure out how much it cost you per hour to operate your business and this includes your overhead and expenses and your salary and profit for the business…that number will be your minimum hourly rate. You need to know this number in order to accurately price jobs so that the jobs are profitable and your business can survive. Once you know this number, all you need to do is accurately estimate your time to complete a job.

If your minimum hourly rate is calculated out to be $60 per man hour that means you should be charging at least $1 for every minute and every person working for a client (your number may be more or it may be less than $60…you have to do the math to know). A lawn that takes you 35 minutes to service from the time you park to the time you drive off is billed a minimum of $35 ($1 for each minute based on $60 per man hour). For a 25 minute service, you charge $25. To clarify, if it takes you and one employee 60 minutes to service a lawn, using our example of $60 per man hour the client would be billed $120 because you have 2 men working for 60 minutes…a total of 120 minutes (60 minutes x 2 people = 120 minutes or 2 hours) which is 2 man hours.

Just to get the wheels turning…lets say you want to charge $25 for a lawn that will take you 1 hour to service and it cost you 3 gallons of gas to drive to the client, service the lawn and drive home.

If gas is $3.50 per gallon, it costs you $10.50 just to buy the gas you need.

$25 - $10.50 = $14.50

Now out of that $14.50 you have to allocate money for trimmer line, mower blades, edger blades, blade sharpening, oil, 2 cycle oil, air filters, oil filters, business insurance, vehicle insurance, vehicle maintenance, taxes, advertising, website hosting, cell phone service, business cards, postage and paper and envelopes if you mail invoices, your contractor's license, profit, and a few other things before you pay yourself for working that hour to mow that lawn.
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
Stihl HS56C Hedge Trimmer
Stihl MS391 25" Bar Chainsaw
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
Earthquake 16" Rear Tine Tiller
Honda 9" Mini Tiller FG110