Register free!

Old 11-12-2013, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

30" stand-on aerator for seeding

Like several of you in the Midwest, we plan to begin our dormant seeding jobs a.s.a.p.

Question: Is it safe to use a Toro/Exmark 30" stand-on aerator with tines in the ground while turning? Will the tines be damaged?

I've done this in the past & it seems to churn up the soil very nicely. I'm talking about just putting the tines only about one inch deep to prepare the soil/cover the seed.

Thinking this might be a good selling point for Toro/Exmark.

But will I damage tines? Thoughts?
Old 11-13-2013, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlawn View Post
Like several of you in the Midwest, we plan to begin our dormant seeding jobs a.s.a.p.

Question: Is it safe to use a Toro/Exmark 30" stand-on aerator with tines in the ground while turning? Will the tines be damaged? That's a good way to snap a belt to break the axles! Adds a lot of stress!

I've done this in the past & it seems to churn up the soil very nicely. I'm talking about just putting the tines only about one inch deep to prepare the soil/cover the seed.

Thinking this might be a good selling point for Toro/Exmark.

But will I damage tines? Thoughts?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-13-2013, 12:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Good point, Larry. No need to go deep when you are mainly trying to prepare the soil for new seed. Twice over...correct? Seed first? Drag afterward? What kind of seed? What kind of results from previous years?
Old 11-13-2013, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Mow grass short. Then spread the seed. Then aerate multiple times (4 - 7 times). Has worked out fine in the past.

RABBITTMAN'S reply did not come through, and he knows these machines better than anybody IMO.

Lawns around here have been growing very fast up until this week. We will begin our dormant seedings tomorrow. XT5, LawnAire IV, Ryan 48" pull-behind, Exmark 30", plus a ZTR mower, etc, etc.

Thanks Riggle about not having to pull deep plugs for seeding. We doubled the tines on our Ryan pull-behind/hydraulic lift aerators. Not deep plugs, but lots of them. Great for large/open areas.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlawn View Post
Mow grass short. Then spread the seed. Then aerate multiple times (4 - 7 times). Has worked out fine in the past.

RABBITTMAN'S reply did not come through, and he knows these machines better than anybody IMO.

Lawns around here have been growing very fast up until this week. We will begin our dormant seedings tomorrow. XT5, LawnAire IV, Ryan 48" pull-behind, Exmark 30", plus a ZTR mower, etc, etc.

Thanks Riggle about not having to pull deep plugs for seeding. We doubled the tines on our Ryan pull-behind/hydraulic lift aerators. Not deep plugs, but lots of them. Great for large/open areas.
I would be careful on turns with tines down! Puts a lot of stress on axles and hydro belt! Can and will break a tine axle! Local rental place here has had to replace axles due to turning while tine axles are down! Not fun to replace axles or belts! You can hook roots or anything else that you might not see! Fyi
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-13-2013, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thank you my friend. Very good advice.