Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-14-2013, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Hurricane stand-on leaf blower/vac 425 vs X3

X3 vs 425

So I need a new blower and leaf vac and I'm thinking about buying the Hurricane Leaf Blower/ Vacuum. I would like the X3 since it is more powerful and more importantly has 3 places where air can come out- BUT it doesn't Vacuum from what I have heard....

So my other option is the 425 which I haven't heard much about, everyone who has the X3 says its an awesome machine and cuts 4 men crew to 2 men crews and still can do cleanups faster...

MY QUESTION: Any of you guys familiar with these machines? how is the 425 with vacuuming up leaves? is it powerful?

Is the x3 a better version of the 425? Did they stop trying to vacuum leaves with the X3 because the 425 was having issues or breaking from clogs etc...
Old 11-14-2013, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan082 View Post
X3 vs 425

So I need a new blower and leaf vac and I'm thinking about buying the Hurricane Leaf Blower/ Vacuum. I would like the X3 since it is more powerful and more importantly has 3 places where air can come out- BUT it doesn't Vacuum from what I have heard....

So my other option is the 425 which I haven't heard much about, everyone who has the X3 says its an awesome machine and cuts 4 men crew to 2 men crews and still can do cleanups faster...

MY QUESTION: Any of you guys familiar with these machines? how is the 425 with vacuuming up leaves? is it powerful?

Is the x3 a better version of the 425? Did they stop trying to vacuum leaves with the X3 because the 425 was having issues or breaking from clogs etc...
I only have the 314 the smallest one they make and I can say it cut clean ups from a 2 man crew to me being solo and still doing things in similar times and having no labor costs for fall clean ups. so its already paid for its self.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

How do you guys use these blowers?

Usually we blow out the landscape and bag, sometimes if the dump needs to be dumped the guys will blow the front to the curb.

Is that were this thing really shines? Getting the leaves to the curb? I cant see it saving time in the backyards we have here (all fenced in, minimal wooded areas) as they need to be bagged as its quite a distance to the front.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersman02 View Post
How do you guys use these blowers?

Usually we blow out the landscape and bag, sometimes if the dump needs to be dumped the guys will blow the front to the curb.

Is that were this thing really shines? Getting the leaves to the curb? I cant see it saving time in the backyards we have here (all fenced in, minimal wooded areas) as they need to be bagged as its quite a distance to the front.
I do the same for some lawns, but quite a few have lots of mature oaks and maple trees where the leaves will get thick, and within 50-70ft the pile will be 2-3' high most of my yards aren't fenced in so if they want the leaves to curb then that's where i blow them, if they want them in the woods that's where they go. and using a hurricane saves time like crazy.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:40 AM
LawnSite Member

I just got my 314 home last night. I can't wait to put it to use. I hear lots of good things about these machines and hopefully it will help me gain some large cleanups.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-18-2013, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

You don't want to use your blower as a vac the impeller will be subject to all kinds of abuse and wear. I use a pair of Giant Vac truck loaders and I must say the $500 it cost for a new impeller and the additional $500 they charge to mount it gets old fast. No way would I want my blower to have sticks and rocks and what ever else it could suck up hitting the impeller and that is what happens with a vac the stuff is shredded going through the machine.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a giant vac loader as well. That impeller isn't built to do work like the vac for sure! It does push leaves like nothing else though!
Posted via Mobile Device