Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-14-2013, 04:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Total Wipeout

I need to clear a garden place for a friend in NC. There used to be a garden there now somewhat of a field. That place is full of quack grass, weeds, some turf, crabgrass. Almost anything that would appear in a neglected piece of ground.
Now that the ground is almost frozen in NC. If it were spring I could go with our normal herbicides, etc. Is there anything out there that can be used in the winter to prepare the garden for spring planting. I was just thinking of having it cultivated and let winter freeze out some of the seeds. The whole plan was to prepare the soil for spring garden time around April and applying some Simazine around April 1 but not real sure how long it will stay in the soil for planting seed or setting out new plants. Any ideas. Don't you love friends that think because one does this that miracles can be done "Anytime". Oh yes, cool season turf.
Thanks
Old 11-14-2013, 06:37 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I can't answer your main question good other than gly it out in spring and then till. Of course there will be countless seeds and things will constantly appear.

I do know you cannot use Simazine in April. The seeding interval for this is 6 months after use if my memory serves me correct.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I like to solarize my garden by covering it with Clear Vis-queen. I use soda Cans as spacers under my Vis-queen to add a greenhouse air chamber effect. The added heat will kill nematodes and most weed seeds. Some people use black vis-queen with no greenhouse air chamber and get good results also.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Total Wipeout

I've been watching "Gold Rush" on the Discovery Channel. You may need a D9 Cat to help with the frozen ground, and that may take care of the weeds too.
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Soil "almost frozen"? Really? You are a thousand miles south of us, and we spaded up and raked smooth the soil in a vegetable garden yesterday. I suggest glyphosate, wait a couple weeks and till-in whatever remains. Quackgrass will be the most troublesome. Keep in mind glyphosate will not persist and it will not kill weed seeds. Keep in mind that on such sites, weed seeds will sprout vigorously next year...particularly when the soil temps hit about 80. Good chance that quackgrass roots and similar rhizomes will also be a problem.

A pre-emergent like "Preen" applied in spring might help slightly...of course, it will prevent most seeds from germinating--so--your gardener would have to use plants, not seeds, in treated areas.

Ric makes a good point, plastic film will stop weeds, but a huge crop of weeds may grow up under the clear type--as the weeds benefit from the warmer temps in spring.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ya no way your soil can be frozen already. We can still get a spade in ours up here.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 11-14-2013, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

And...do not forget the winter annuals in fall and early spring. Weeds happen. Henbit, chickweed, poa annua, and veronica, plus your local favorites, (you are far from my location). And the potential for nutsedge and Bermuda, starting about June next year.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Our ground doesn't freeze here. Even in the mountains it rarely happens
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-15-2013, 01:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Casoron. That one can be removed after application by repeated tilling. The simazine can be there for an indefinite amount of time. In my area, there were places that used to be sugarcane and pineapple. Those fields got turned into planned communities. It took at least a year or two after those fields had crops replaced by houses and yards before plants would grow properly. Too much atrazine, Hyvar, Sencor, Simazine, and Velpar in the soil. Those neighborhoods would not have such a horrific weed problem if coral and soil from other areas was not brought in. No way would nutsedge or kyllinga survive that much herbicide treatment.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 11-15-2013, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Soil "almost frozen"? Really? You are a thousand miles south of us, and we spaded up and raked smooth the soil in a vegetable garden yesterday. I suggest glyphosate, wait a couple weeks and till-in whatever remains. Quackgrass will be the most troublesome. Keep in mind glyphosate will not persist and it will not kill weed seeds. Keep in mind that on such sites, weed seeds will sprout vigorously next year...particularly when the soil temps hit about 80. Good chance that quackgrass roots and similar rhizomes will also be a problem.

A pre-emergent like "Preen" applied in spring might help slightly...of course, it will prevent most seeds from germinating--so--your gardener would have to use plants, not seeds, in treated areas.

Ric makes a good point, plastic film will stop weeds, but a huge crop of weeds may grow up under the clear type--as the weeds benefit from the warmer temps in spring.
Yes weeds will grow under clear plastic film after you roundup that area.

In fact the Green house effect of the Clear plastic film will germinate most all seeds under that Plastic film.

So a quick Roundup treatment after the film is removed will get 99% of your early weed problems.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.