Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-13-2013, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsden&Son View Post
Wow, just checking out your thread for the first time and I am impressed for sure... I am a few years older than you... 32... I have been in the industry forever but this is my first year as a business owner and I love checking out guys threads that are newer in business... J contracting is another guy's thread I have followed lately... Like you, and J, I am full service doing everything from mowing to retaining walls, to tree removal... There is a business philosophy, ETW talks about it a lot(who I have a ton of respect for) of doing one thing and doing that one thing really well. While I have respect for Jarod, I have found that what has been working for me, is offering everything! Not sure if some guys don't think they can branch out? Or they don't have the confidence to try something new? Either way just wanted to say props on your work and it's nice to see another guy who is full service.... P.S You talk about wanting an F350.... I have a 2003 f350 super duty dually with a 10ft. dump bed.. and while she is my baby.... I ABSOLUTELY LOVE your truck man.... To me, that body style is just perfection for a work truck... (plus, mine has the dreaded 5.4!!! yuck!)
thank you, I just had the motor pulled and it got a new rear main seal not that it needed one, new oil pan which was actually leaking, and new fuel pump which was leaking again, also got new transmission lines and all new coolant and oil. Next time funds allow its getting new hinges, a new bed, new fenders and i might fix the extremely small amount of rust on the doors, and then the truck is getting painted oxford white with a clear coat. and then the rims will be getting refinished
Old 11-14-2013, 12:42 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I am a big Pro Turf thread follower as well... His market is about 20 miles north of my old market.... It's interesting that he said that because in all honesty he seems to have his hands in a lot of different stuff. I mean, he does do maintenance(mowing, spring and fall cleanups), irrigation, new lawns(have you seen his hydroseeding set up? Amazing!) Landscaping installs and the like, and I believe I have seen some hardscaping as well? And let's not even get started on snow and ice management. The guy has snow and ice advertising billboards for crying out loud!!! Now, this here gentleman is a guy to look up to for sure... He is definitely business minded and you can tell that he not only has proper systems in place, but is always looking for better, faster, more productive, more profitable ways of doing business. I just find it hard to imagine him sitting down with his foremen over the winter and saying "Well fellas, next season we are doing irrigation and just irrigation... Even though we have a hundred calls a day coming in to the sales office for various maintenance and landscaping, we are really good at irrigation so that is all we are going to focus on." Seems to me that wouldn't be the most sound business plan to follow. Now, Jarod on the other hand is a different story. He actually started doing commercial maintenance along with hardscapes etc.(the second time around) But once his hardscape (excuse me, that is an understatement... they are not just hardscapes, he builds peoples dreams in their backyards. His whole gig is truly taking the client to a different world when they step outside their back door. His designs, craftsmanship, visions, and philosophies literally take my breath away) division took off, he followed his own advice of "find what you are good at and do a lot of it." Now, this works perfectly for him and all you have to do is take one look at his website or just talk to some people in the industry to see how successful he is. He is very well read and also knowledgeable not only about our industry but also about business. Yet, I look at a company like ProTurf, or I look here at RSK and I say "Wow, these guys are doing it right! Offering a full range of services and doing it successfully... One thing that JContracting touched on and it is absolutely true is that "it can be hard to find the right people." Jarod is always talking about bringing the best people you can find on board. Seems that there is a lack of guys and gals looking to get into the trades in the younger generations... Either way it sure is an interesting topic... And JContracting, you made a terrific point when you said "it's extremely hard to say no to a client that wants to spend $7000+ on a project and the margins are very healthy." I would feel like I was walking in the woods and I came up on a pile of money and I just left it sitting there..... Anyway... that's my 2
Old 11-14-2013, 11:30 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

driving through the keys over the 7 mile bridge.

view from our hotel room.

view from my hammock.

duval st. at night

Old 11-14-2013, 11:33 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

mile 0 on rt.1 in key west.

boat races the reason I went down there.

a bike I saw in south beach monday.

sorry for the lack of pictures but it was all so new to me I was just taking it in one day at a time.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Love the pics from the Keys man! Are you there now? Or recently? If so, I'm jealous!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-14-2013, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JContracting View Post
Love the pics from the Keys man! Are you there now? Or recently? If so, I'm jealous!
Posted via Mobile Device
I flew down a week ago today I was in Miami at hooters on the water eating lunch with an excellent view thursday before noon, then drove down to the key largo to meet up with some more friends, then drove down to key west and got settled into a hotel room for the night and went out, then stayed in key west on the water, until monday morning, when we drove back to miami for the day and left south beach to drop off the rental car and our flight left at 8:20pm. I was back in ct freezing my azz off by 11:45, then I woke up the next morning to 2" of snow on my lawn....and some very cold weather. not happy about that. but I should be back in florida around February for the miami boat show and poker run.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JContracting View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
I would highly recommend you go when you get a chance, I did 5 days for $2k and that was quite excessive on all accounts it could be done for 1500 easy including flight to fort lauderdale, renting a car, staying a 5 star resort on the ocean, drinking 4 nights, and generally doing whatever I wanted which included wasting about $400 on dumb stuff. which we can just leave at that! but I also split everything with 2 buddies.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:07 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I did similar in March '12, went to a buddy's parents 2nd property down in Naples. Granted its not like S Beach or Ft Lauderdale but we still drank tons every night and had a blast. Can't remember how much I spent but it was worth it. Not sure when ill be able to make it down there in the winter time with plowing and all. Maybe it'll be a winter season bonus I pay myself when I'm able to get out of the field & ill head to Miami & the keys for a couple weeks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-15-2013, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Member

You ready for the winter ?
Old 11-15-2013, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by landscaper5 View Post
You ready for the winter ?
yeah, my ariens snow blower just got both belts replaced, fresh oil change, new spark plug, lubed up, my toro single stage snow blowers are ready to roll, could use new paddles on both which i may change out in the next few weeks. and I'm going to look at 2009 or 2010 f350 lariat crew cab short bed as a back up truck in case my 97 7.3 decides to get cranky and doesn't wanna start. but it's getting new glow plugs, relay,block heater cable and possibly injectors before we get any snow so it should be ready to rock!

Last edited by RSK Property Maintenance; 11-15-2013 at 08:48 PM.