Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-14-2013, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well we all had some miss-communication. It happens. What I was trying to get at was, our company will only purchase Husqvarna products that we can verify
came out of or were manufactured in sweden(not saying all parts are made in sweden). Same goes for Stihl. If you can get Stihl's products that were manufactured out of germany, that is the way to go.

Apparently both Stihl and Husqvarna have assembly and manufacturing plants in america.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Stihl plant in Va beach makes almost the whole product line in there factory. But they also have factory in China Brazil and Germany. All 4 factory are held to the same standered. The Va beach factory is hoping to be able to produce the whole line in the USA. This is another personal preference on what people buy. To each there own. But I like being able to walk in to a local store and gets parts the other dealers don't keep parts on hand.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-14-2013, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
The lubrication system is independent of the engine design. Four stroke designs are four stroke designs, regardless of sump lubrication, or vapor lubrication.
I understand that, but dolmar, honda, briggs, cub cadet, and others have 4 stroke engines that have no problems, and they all manage to do it with sump lubrication, which is more difficult to make, because you need to make the sump so you don't starve the engine of oil. stihl and dolmar are both german, but from what I've used of the "4 mix", and even the 2 stroke equipment, they are far from the typical build quality of the germans. the dolmars, however epitomize what the germans are capable of. for pete's sake, it was 14 degrees the other night, got up first thing in the morning, choke the engine (the only time I need to choke it is when it's below 30), prime it, one pull, and it starts and runs like I've been using it all day, right away. I can't do that even when it's above 60 with the stihl's I've used...
Old 11-14-2013, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&SFTW View Post
I understand that, but dolmar, honda, briggs, cub cadet, and others have 4 stroke engines that have no problems, and they all manage to do it with sump lubrication, .......
Your list of others manufacturers does not include any that are prominently used in the industry. No, I don't know the splits, but none of those in the list would be included in the highest usage trimmers. I would be interested in knowing market share -- what % of the market of commercial users find briggs, cub cadet, honda, ... on their trailer?

I always find it interesting reading complaints of having to mix fuels for trimmers, but nobody complains about mixing fuels for chain saws.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

My Stihl KM130 is a disaster. My two stroke FS90 was awesome. I'm going to try Shindaiwa's 4 stroke stuff next. My Stihl KM130 has just been one thing after another; I take it into the shop, they tune it up, it runs right for a couple weeks and then it goes back to the same old stuff. It takes forever to warm up. I'm going to try ethanol free gas and see if that solves the problem. I need to get a new primer bubble as the ethanol ate the primer bubble away.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:42 AM
LawnSite Member

Most all commercial units have 300hr emission compliance ratings. I don't know of any homeowner models that do.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:48 AM
LawnSite Member

Dolmar's 4 stroke products are sold in pretty good volume to pros around here, according to my dealer it's a preferred brand by quite a few. shindaiwa seems to be pretty popular around these forums... granted, all the cub cadet, honda, ryobi, ect... units are aimed at the homeowner... I was surprised when I picked up my briggs that they didn't opt for a full crank, I think if they had, they could have put the engine in more premium trimmers, it's a nice engine. you might see some of the hondas around, they seem pretty tough...

anyhoo, while I agree most of these engines don't get exposed to the same kind of work as commonly as the stihls did/do, the dolmars and shindaiwas are higher end machines. apparently, though, the shindaiwas use the vapor lubrication method like the 4 mix engines.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Cornwallis View Post
..... My two stroke FS90 was awesome. .....
FS90 are 4 stroke, not 2 stroke.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
it was 14 degrees the other night, got up first thing in the morning, choke the engine (the only time I need to choke it is when it's below 30), prime it, one pull, and it starts and runs like I've been using it all day, right away. I can't do that even when it's above 60 with the stihl's I've used...
I'm gonna tell you the same thing that I told the other guy. If you're having problems starting a Stihl 4 Mix, regardless of the temperature, then something is wrong with the engine. I have a 2005 Stihl BR600 that still starts on the first pull, regardless of the temperature.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:53 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
I understand that, but dolmar, honda, briggs, cub cadet, and others have 4 stroke engines that have no problems, and they all manage to do it with sump lubrication, which is more difficult to make, because you need to make the sump so you don't starve the engine of oil. stihl and dolmar are both german, but from what I've used of the "4 mix", and even the 2 stroke equipment, they are far from the typical build quality of the germans. the dolmars, however epitomize what the germans are capable of. for pete's sake, it was 14 degrees the other night, got up first thing in the morning, choke the engine (the only time I need to choke it is when it's below 30), prime it, one pull, and it starts and runs like I've been using it all day, right away. I can't do that even when it's above 60 with the stihl's I've used...
its actually pretty simple. they just make the crankcase in the shape of a "U" so as you turn the motor it always has oil. My dolmar has ran a whole day with no oil, ran over, dropped, overheated and it still starts no problem and still has full power. Its ran 3 years and at least 5 hrs a day. I can't kill it.