Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-14-2013, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just out of pure curiosity how would a FB page vs a real website, since most folks have a FB page? My WWI page does ok, but I'm branding a product vs a local irritation service.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I had mine built with hunter points. Not sure if its still offered.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Those prices sound expensive. I made my own site from a template and just changed it around a little. The SEO to get people to find your site is what you really need. No point having a good site that no one can find. I don't think people care that much about how the site looks as long as it is mistake free, easy to read and has some nice pics.

I have rejected about 100 potential clients in the past few months because I am swamped.
My site costs me $10 per month for hosting.
www.myirrigation.com.au
Old 11-15-2013, 05:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

my girlfriend does marketing and website is a big part…her minimum for a website is $1000 with average being $2000 and usually topping out around $4000…the big thing with website is how many pages it consists of (1-3, 3-5, 5-7, etc…)…websites sound expensive when you first hear the price, but when you realize that today's marketing IS websites then it isn't that bad, especially for a one time price…the $100/month to maintain it sounds ridiculous to me, i'll ask her what she thinks…hosting is all that really matters after the fact…if you ever need any additional work then sure, that will cost, but if it was done right there should be no "maintaining" it…

here is the website that she did for us…it is by no means close to done, but we had to get something up…won't make it better until we get time in the off season…she also did our logo…

www.NewEarthTurf.com
Old 11-15-2013, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbell36 View Post
if you ever need any additional work then sure, that will cost, but if it was done right there should be no "maintaining" it…
I am no expert, but from the research I did the search engines will slap your site down the rankings if it becomes dormant and hasn't had any changes made over a period. They see it as stale and may rank it lower than sites that are regularly being updated.

I just add a new photo, add some news, or just change the content around a bit. Don't know if I'm wasting my time doing this but my site is ranking very well.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoflow View Post
I am no expert, but from the research I did the search engines will slap your site down the rankings if it becomes dormant and hasn't had any changes made over a period. They see it as stale and may rank it lower than sites that are regularly being updated.

I just add a new photo, add some news, or just change the content around a bit. Don't know if I'm wasting my time doing this but my site is ranking very well.
very good point…i'll have to ask her how it all works…SEO is important, and i know that having videos and blogs can bump you up, not to mention the traffic your site generates
Old 11-15-2013, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks guys, good info all around.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I paid 300 bucks and I think around 70 a year with 2 emails if you want the guys name I'd be happy to give it to you
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-16-2013, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Schrock, but I'm going to try and find someone close by.....I think
don't reckon it makes much diff if there 2 miles or 2000 miles away. send me a PM if you would please, and I'll at least have it.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Dirt Boy,

It really depends on a lot of things. Depends on how big you want your company to be...How professional you want to look...What your typical clientele is....etc.

It was always my goal to build and run a larger company. I never wanted to stay small. This year we'll do just over $3Mil. in sales. But even back when we were doing 1/4 that much in sales, I was always aiming to be competitive with the bigger companies in town. Aiming to grow. Aiming for the higher end clientele. Aiming to look and be every bit as professional as the best companies in my area. So my website, and everything else I did, had to match those goals.

Over the years, I spent a lot of time and money on our website. But I always had a custom website that was developed by someone who was better than I was at it. I collaborated with them to build it. I might have been coming up with the text, photos, and layout. But it was a skilled web developer who was taking all my ideas and making it look amazing. So I highly recommend paying a pro to help you build it.

The time and money we've spent on our website (tens of thousands of $$ over the years, not all at once) has turned out to be money well spent. We still get over 60% of our new clients from the web. And because we rank real highly on local searches, we get WAY more calls than any other landscape/irrigation companies in the area. It's propelled our growth like nothing else I've ever done in our 18 year history. Since I really started taking the website and SEO to the next level (which was the winter of '08/'09) we've seen 25-45% growth in total sales each year. And most all of that was due to our website and the volume of calls we got because of it.

You can find good web designers without breaking the bank. These days, you can get a website built that will be better than 80% of your competition for a good $1000 or so. $1500 isn't unreasonable at all. If you want a website that is better than 98% of your competitors, I think that can cost you some big money. And it's something that is best done, over time. I know a really good company that could build you a show-stopping website for a good $5,000-$10,000. But I don't know too many landscape/irrigation companies who would want to pay that, all at once. So my advice is to start with a site that is better than most, and work at improving it little by little, over time.

These days, I create most of the new pages on our site and make most of our modifications, additions, etc. But I am using templates that my web developer has already created for me, and just adding a little to it. It took a long time for me to figure out how to do all that.

I've designed sites for people on my own. Like this site I did for a buddy of mine (still a work in progress). And several other sites I've done for friends, using the pre-made online templates. They turn out OKAY. But if you really want something that attracts the better clients and really makes your company look more professional than the rest in your area - that's going to cost you. And $1500 is a fair price for a professional site like that. Your clients will be able to tell by looking at your site whether you're company is rinky-dink, super professional, or anywhere in between. So my advice is get the best you can afford to get and make it even nicer over time. The rewards are worth it.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon