Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-13-2013, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Is that mix of yours, granulated or spray??? I use Momentum spray...
Old 11-13-2013, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Yes, it is slightly warmer in west Michigan due to influence of Lake Michigan, coldest temp so far, about 23. Usually more snow, also...12 inches in St Joseph/Benton Harbor a couple of days ago. Only a few flurries here. Now my new grass seed planted about two weeks ago has sprouted to about a half inch tall..both in the areas where it was raked in and now...smaller sprouts from new seed in the area of bare soil with no soil preparation. New seedlings looked OK, so frost has not killed them...so far.
I started my cold weather weed control test using dandelions when day temps were about 35, on November 12.
What do you think will happen? I applied a three-way, Speedzone, T-Zone, and Surge.
What was the soil temperature? My opinion is you will have no weeds next spring.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-14-2013, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The soil temperature was 33 F. The dandelion weeds look slightly injured after 48 hours. Cold today , but we expect a brief warm up and warm rain--about 60 degrees--about 4 days from now.

Last edited by RigglePLC; 11-14-2013 at 10:38 AM. Reason: add
Old 11-15-2013, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well the ground never froze here either and now we have a few more warm days... I'll spray weeds this weekend if the rain allows and wait another week for dormant seeding...
Old 11-16-2013, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I got b$tched out by folks on another site cuz we had freezing temps. Today was nearly 70. 14 day weather forecast calls for 40' and 50's. Weed control will still work, and "dormant seeding" sure as hell will.

I say to all, go for it, and don't be afraid of hard work or adverse conditions. Get er done.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlawn View Post
I got b$tched out by folks on another site cuz we had freezing temps. Today was nearly 70. 14 day weather forecast calls for 40' and 50's. Weed control will still work, and "dormant seeding" sure as hell will.

I say to all, go for it, and don't be afraid of hard work or adverse conditions. Get er done.
I'm curious if you are using granulated weed control this late or is it strictly spray now???
Old 11-17-2013, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We never use granular bwc. Always liquid. Our pick up truck spray rigs have been removed & winterized. Earlier this week, we replaced the liquid bwc in our T's with RV anti-freeze. (low temp was 12) We will switch back to running liquid bwc in our T's this week to finish the season (by Thanksgiving). Then put RV anti-freeze back in. It takes about ten minutes per T to swap out liquids. We lift them up with a forklift to completely drain the saddle tanks.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

That makes sense,,, especially for this time of the season...
Old 11-18-2013, 03:10 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

This week Iím doing a broadcast dormant seeding on a rougher low maintenance property. Basically a semi rural type location. The owner is very green minded, doesnít mind weeds and has zero intention to irrigate....unless it is near his garden area. I steered him towards pasture grass to make it easier. I mow his weed patch every 2-3 weeks and he is one of my best paying customers for time spent.

This will be preceded by a reciprocating aeration to vertically till and intentionally open up the soil. I expect the frost heave to work well with this help. The plugs per square foot will be 3-4 times as high as a single pass with a rolling tine aerator. I will be doing a single pass with this machine.

I'd Rather Be Flying
Always Looking for Greener Grass
Always Looking for Better Mower Blades ô
Say "YES" to higher mowing heights.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Can you save much by shallow cultivation--say go 2 inches deep with more holes per sqft? I think it was Larry's idea--you don't need to go deep when sowing seed.