Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-16-2013, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Plans for 2014?

Hey guys. The business management section is my favorite part of Lawnsite. As things slow down for the winter I start thinking about ways improve the business for next year. I would like to hear your ideas.

What have you done to become more efficient? What will you do different in 2014?

Last winter I purchased my first enclosed trailer. I was a bit reluctant at first but its turned out to be a great decision. I always have the right equipment or supplies with me. Its made a huge improvement in my efficiency.

So what are your plans for 2014?
Old 11-16-2013, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Plans for 2014 you ask?

- Becoming a registered LLC & become insured.
- Purchase/finance Gravely or Bobcat 60" w/ vacuum.
- Purchase trailer
- Design send out EDDM in February/March
- Advertise, Advertise, Advertise
- Continue gathering equipment (rakes, barrels, shovels, wheel barrow, etc)

I will be just starting out, this will be my first go at it and I hope to make it worth while. I currently work a full time job in the evenings so this will be a part time job until it takes off exponentially and I have a sustainable income to where I can leave. After establishing myself as a lawn maintenance company I want to branch out into hardscapes and work with my best friend who is proficient in them.

- Shindaiwa T242
- STIHL MS290 FarmBoss
- Echo PB500T

Starting 2014 - Solo Operation!
Old 11-17-2013, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Im starting next year part time as well (have a 9 to 5, going to work nights and sat on the business with the hope to eventually transition into it full time), currently working on business plans and acquiring needed equipment to get started.

Business registration paperwork has been submitted, after its approved I need to get insurance and register as a contractor with the state.
Just purchased a 36inch hydro WB. (have a 22inch mower already, and will pick up a large stander or ZT sometime in the next 2 years if things take off)
Already registered a domain name for a web site (clmnj.com)
Came up with a business name: Comprehensive Landscape Management
Need to purchase: Handhelds, trailer, and a few other tools
Design a logo, then work on business card/magnet/flyer design and the web site.
Purchase software (quickbooks?) for invoicing and finances.

Hopefully Ill take in enough next year to purchase a truck, im going to start off using our Honda Pilot.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars & Stripes Landscaping View Post
Plans for 2014 you ask?

- Becoming a registered LLC & become insured.
- Purchase/finance Gravely or Bobcat 60" w/ vacuum.
- Purchase trailer
- Design send out EDDM in February/March
- Advertise, Advertise, Advertise
- Continue gathering equipment (rakes, barrels, shovels, wheel barrow, etc)

I will be just starting out, this will be my first go at it and I hope to make it worth while. I currently work a full time job in the evenings so this will be a part time job until it takes off exponentially and I have a sustainable income to where I can leave. After establishing myself as a lawn maintenance company I want to branch out into hardscapes and work with my best friend who is proficient in them.
Looks like you have a busy winter ahead of you. What's your advertising budget look like?
Old 11-17-2013, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLugNutZ View Post
Im starting next year part time as well (have a 9 to 5, going to work nights and sat on the business with the hope to eventually transition into it full time), currently working on business plans and acquiring needed equipment to get started.

Business registration paperwork has been submitted, after its approved I need to get insurance and register as a contractor with the state.
Just purchased a 36inch hydro WB. (have a 22inch mower already, and will pick up a large stander or ZT sometime in the next 2 years if things take off)
Already registered a domain name for a web site (clmnj.com)
Came up with a business name: Comprehensive Landscape Management
Need to purchase: Handhelds, trailer, and a few other tools
Design a logo, then work on business card/magnet/flyer design and the web site.
Purchase software (quickbooks?) for invoicing and finances.

Hopefully Ill take in enough next year to purchase a truck, im going to start off using our Honda Pilot.
Good move starting with Quickbooks at the beginning. Hire a bookkeeper to help you set it up right.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm thinking about upgrading my software this winter. Been looking at Service Auto Pilot.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

there was a thread on here about different software programs, seems like the consensus is that SAP is pretty damn good.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Plans for 2014

-dump truck
-grow grow grow
-new mower
-leaf loader
Toro
STHIL
Shindawia
Western Salt Spreader
Billy Goat
Tomahawk

Minnesota certified pesticide applicator
NOT MY PRESIDENT!
Old 11-18-2013, 12:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This year I bought all new small equipment. In 2014, I would like to upgrade my mowers, trailer, and truck. I would like to get a skid sprayer too. I have a lot of 12 month contracts this year that run into next year, so I should be able to save some money for all the "toys".

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. --Leonardo da Vinci

http://integritylawnpro.com
Old 11-18-2013, 03:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Offloaded both of my previous wb's earlier this year (Exmark Metro & my Viking will be purchased from a friend in a few days), picked up a brand new Lazer Z & then a 36" Scag wb for backyards. Bought lots of handhelds as well as a 2014 8.5x20 enclosed trailer.

Next year the goal is to build enough of a base to get a 2 man maintenance crew going 3-4 days/week and then purchase a second truck and a dump trailer and get a 2-3 man landscape install crew (which would include myself for the most part) going 3 days/week minimum and then have all on board during fall clean ups because I'd like to buy a leaf loader and get a leaf box on the dump trailer. I plan to get graphics on my enclosed, as well as the 2nd truck & dump trailer. I'd also like to purchase some type of sprayer, be it a skid, permagreen, or a towable one for my ztr.

And like Glenn Lawn said, grow grow grow!! Triple last year's sales this year, next year I'd like to double this year's.

I also am implementing a system for basically everything, especially pricing & estimating. We also had a couple bigger landscape installs that dragged on much longer than I wanted to because the clients were picky as can be and I plan to include a service timeline/outline on every landscape install contract to prevent from things like that from happening.

It may be a bit lofty, but I'd like to pay off all my student loans as well as my truck and some other debt also.
Exmark TTHP 36"
225 Gal MN Wanner Skid Sprayer
8' Boss RT3 Straight Blade

Licensed Applicator

Graduate - Anoka Technical College w/ Associate's in Hort/Landscape - May 2013
In business since Feb 2011
23 Years Old

When you have systems, you have control.